PC restarts randomly while gaming?

Whateverchan

Just completed my first build and was testing some games. CPU 3600 and GPU 5600. I had 3 restarts in about 1 hour.

So, I was playing CS GO, and all of a sudden the monitor went black, then green, then the PC shut off. Didn't even get a BSoD. No idea what the reason was. After 1-2 seconds, PC turned back on, everything seems fine, but then I notice that the boot debug light is now on. I didn't know how to turn it off or what the problem was. I entered bios setting, enabled XMP profile, but still nothing.

I restarted the PC again, and the light was gone. I continued playing for another 40 minutes, everything seemed fine, but then the PC turned off all of a sudden again. The monitor just went black, then says no HDMI connection, and after a second, the PC turned itself on again. Lights inside the case were still on, but it's as if I just powered off and on my PC real quick. There wasn't even the screen that tells me to sign in. The debug light didn't turn on this time. I continued playing for another 5-10 minutes before it restarted itself again. Boot debug light was on, so I restarted again and it went away. What's going on...?

I don't think the temperature ever went over 70, as I checked in Dragon Center. Event Viewer shows a bunch of warnings and errors, though... atidqllk?

Oh, and the AMD Radeon software didn't start automatically after the PC rebooted itself, unlike usual. Had to open it myself. A small but strange extra detail.

Thanks in advance for any help!

bunch of questions that may help define this:

Is there an overclock on the cpu?

what PSU do you have? 
have you checked the memory?

what kind of storage are you using?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

24 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

what PSU do you have? 

Also, are you running the latest graphics drivers from AMD? Did you turn on tuning in Radeon Software? Are the BIOS settings stock aside from XMP enabled?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

what PSU do you have? 

No CPU overclock.

PSU is this ($120 after tax) https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-Platinum-Certified-PS-ST55F-PT/dp/B017WL5UIG

RAM sticks seem fine... Nothing indicates they have any problems...

2 M2 SSDs. WD Black 1TB NVMe M2 and another WD Blue 550GB M2 Sata.

1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

Sounds like a defective power supply.

Maybe...? But I paid good money for this PSU so I'd shocked and pissed if that's the case.

50 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Also, are you running the latest graphics drivers from AMD? Did you turn on tuning in Radeon Software? Are the BIOS settings stock aside from XMP enabled?

I believe I have all the last drivers, yes, for everything. Unless I miss something critical, but I doubt an old driver can cause this... I just saw that tuning tab that you spoke of in the Performance section, but have no idea what it does. Never used it.

I haven't changed anything in the bios. But will try resetting it now.

You can always get a lemon. Test with a different power supply

33 minutes ago, Whateverchan said:

No CPU overclock.

PSU is this ($120 after tax) https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-Platinum-Certified-PS-ST55F-PT/dp/B017WL5UIG

RAM sticks seem fine... Nothing indicates they have any problems...

2 M2 SSDs. WD Black 1TB NVMe M2 and another WD Blue 550GB M2 Sata.

Maybe...? But I paid good money for this PSU so I'd shocked and pissed if that's the case.

I believe I have all the last drivers, yes, for everything. Unless I miss something critical, but I doubt an old driver can cause this... I just saw that tuning tab that you spoke of in the Performance section, but have no idea what it does. Never used it.

I haven't changed anything in the bios. But will try resetting it now.

highest probability is software or human error, but it Could be memory too if you haven’t actually tested it.  Very small faults can cause very big problems.  There is memory that passes several full runs of memtest86 that still fails sometimes.    If the memory passes memtest but you’re still having problems the move is to put a single stick in slot one and see if the failure happens again.  If it doesn’t the other memory stick is suspect and needs to be tested the same way. If it does keep happening it may be something else.  PSUs come out of the factory with problems sometimes.  The methodology with trouble shooting is test the cheap and easy stuff first and move to progressively harder and more annoying bits.  Someone mentioned here once that most commonly if a machine runs but then crashes it’s memory.  Software has become more common though.  There’s also connections.  Reseating all connections is a standard first step. Not super likely but Cheap and easy. Memory and PSU are new.  PSU is less likely than memory because the PSU is new.  PSU could be Ok but not powerful enough for example, but 550w should be more than enough, so that’s out.  It’s  Why the question was asked. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Got another reboot. I took a screenshot of the temperature graph in the bios right after it happened. Does this look like some kind of overheating problem? Does the boot priority order matter after I have installed Windows? 

https://i.imgur.com/72VJTWK.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/I1YCCTb.png

I should probably mention that this only happens only when I game, at least so far. Someone advised me to delete the GPU driver and use the old version. Is that... gonna help? Maybe I should just give it a shot, reinstall it.

Edit: another reboot while I was running Cs in the background and monitoring Cpu usage. I think Gpu usage was around 70%, fps in game was 200 fluctuating. Strange...

Another try, and game couldn't even run. Lol. Fuck.

8 minutes ago, Whateverchan said:

Got another reboot. I took a screenshot of the temperature graph in the bios right after it happened. Does this look like some kind of overheating problem? Does the boot priority order matter after I have installed Windows? 

https://i.imgur.com/72VJTWK.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/I1YCCTb.png

I should probably mention that this only happens only when I game, at least so far. Someone advised me to delete the GPU driver and use the old version. Is that... gonna help? Maybe I should just give it a shot, reinstall it.

It’s more direct advice than I can give.  If the old driver worked OK and it’s the problem probably.  Or at least it would get you moving unless it caused a different problem.  Did the old driver work fine?
The temps recorded are under or near 50c which is in the more or less normal range of a cpu idle.  Maybe a hair high.  Was that under load? There’s no temperature graph so it’s hard to know.  I forget if it’s speedfan or cpuZ or both that does core temp graphing.  The second pic is odd to me.  I don’t know what server they are referring to.  My temptation would be to reload all the low level stuff one piece at a time till either you’ve done it all or the problem goes away.  Is there a window for PSU or other part RMA you have to get inside?  It would suck to waste it all on software checking, determine its hardware, and then not be able to RMA.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

If the old driver worked OK and it’s the problem probably.  Or at least it would get you moving unless it caused a different problem.  Did the old driver work fine?
Is there a window for PSU or other part RMA you have to get inside?  It would suck to waste it all on software checking, determine its hardware, and then not be able to RMA.

Well... I don't know if the old driver would have worked... It's a new build and I updated everything before I tested any game. I bought the PSU from Amazon, so I think their RMA process wouldn't be too strict. Hopefully.

I'm gonna check the software first, before moving on to the hardware stuff.

So, I used MSI Afterburner to check if there's anything abnormal about the temperature. The strange thing is that, I couldn't start CS after the last reboot. I got into the menu screen, then the game says something about me not running it in trusted program, or whatever, and told me to restart. I tried to enter the game again and the PC just rebooted.

I tested Doom this time. I played through the first level without any significant issue. Except for a few oddities...

Anything seems wrong with the numbers? https://i.imgur.com/nJaadxu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/V39Vx3q.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/B7rjs8k.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JGgxFvS.jpg

What are these white lines? https://i.imgur.com/SymyPIB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9wAP1r2.png

I ran the game in Ultra settings.

For the most part the game ran mostly fine from 80-90 fps range, occasionally dipping down to 79 or up to 103. This bugs me a little, because the benchmarks show that I'm supposed to have over 120 fps in 1080p settings. I also see some white lines when I turn left or right in the fifth picture. They show up even when I have V-sync at 60 fps. I think I played for about 40 minutes or so, or at least must have been more than 30 minutes, and besides the low fps and white lines I mentioned, there wasn't any major issue. I don't know if anything would have happened if I kept playing, though. Right now, I am reinstalling CS GO. Perhaps it's just that game that has issue, maybe a bad download or something. Please let me know if you noticed anything unusual. I'm gonna test Yakuza 0.

The white lines sound like gpu hardware stuff to me.  Other problems don’t though.  The trusted program thing is a safety feature of windows.  It means the app is unsigned.  Did you download it from the actual creator of the software?

14 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The white lines sound like gpu hardware stuff to me.  Other problems don’t though.  The trusted program thing is a safety feature of windows.  It means the app is unsigned.  Did you download it from the actual creator of the software?

So, the GPU isn't working properly? How do I fix that? If it's a driver issue, it'd easier to deal with than hardware issue. And what's with that fps count, do you know?

Well... I downloaded the game from Steam. I don't know what else I can do with that, lol.

4 minutes ago, Whateverchan said:

So, the GPU isn't working properly? How do I fix that? If it's a driver issue, it'd easier to deal with than hardware issue. And what's with that fps count, do you know?

Well... I downloaded the game from Steam. I don't know what else I can do with that, lol.

So a steam game gave you that error?  I thought you were talking about a utility program.  That implies a possible error in the machine though I don’t know how steam does it’s stuff.  That is something I’ve never seen from them.  I have read There are ways to make a program trusted but they effectively remove a security feature.  Not something I have ever done or am willing to do.  I don’t know if it’s drivers or not but artifacting is often hardware.

Goddamn it! Just had another restart from CS! What the hell!? Now I'm pissed! Thought it was done after I reinstalled the ga,e, but no, life is not that easy! This better just be a CS issue!

I tried to use HWinfo, but not sure how. I have the log info when it crashed, but can't read a damn thing.

And fuck this bastard... I used MSI Afterburner to see what the hell is going on with the specs when it restarts. After 40 minutes, the game runs fine with no restarts. This goddamn son of a...

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

On Sun 7/12/2020 11:42:46 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\071220-4578-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (0xFFFFF80048A309F0)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFF8108255B1460, 0xFFFFF80048A309F0, 0x0, 0xD)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0355311.inf_amd64_183b8d63847c90cf\B355199\atikmpag.sys
product: AMD driver
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: atikmpag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

On Sun 7/12/2020 11:42:46 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (0xFFFFF80048A309F0)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFF8108255B1460, 0xFFFFF80048A309F0, 0x0, 0xD)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0355311.inf_amd64_183b8d63847c90cf\B355199\atikmpag.sys
product: AMD driver
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: atikmpag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

Conclusion

2 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination with the errors that have been reported for these drivers. Include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions on the web by users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

So, clearly an AMD problem. I thought this is only for the 5700...