Gtx 580 For Cheap Or Wait For Gtx 780?

There's someone selling his EVGA GTX 580 SC for $300 NZD on this NZ website called trademe. I currently have a 6770 ( lol ) but looking to get a beast GPU to play some games the way they're meant to be played! ( Nvidia :P ). It's that or the unknown waiting time for the GTX 700 series...

But the 700 series are still kepler, should I skip it all together and wait for Maxwell, a revolutionary new architecture?

If you keep waiting for the next best thing you'll never end up getting anything.  Best way to do things is to just buy the best available technology when you need/want it.  So if you want to play games the way they're meant to be played right now, then get that GTX 580.  Otherwise, don't.

Well if you need it now, buy it now. You cant really plan for the next thing in computerhardware, because lets face it, its always gonna be the next thing. With that said the 580 is a beast card, draws alot of power though, but it will be putting out good FPS for todays games. I´d say buy it and enjoy.

Harr, darr and a couple of....... plastic earings?

LTC Wallet: LMiWdifKAN546FjyRspfhmfBWidyRPeEUK

Well it all depends on whether you feel like you need to upgrade right now. Are you reasonably happy with how your current graphics is preforming? Like Phalonx said the next thing will always be coming and it's better to bite the bullet and get something sooner than later. That being said, if you can hold off from buying till the unspecified release date why not.

I'd say get a 7970 or a 7950 for now, or wait for the 780.

System

• CPU: Intel core i5 2500
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68P-DS3
  • Ram: G.Skill 2x4GB (8GB) 1600 
  • SSD:  Intel 520 120GB
  • GPU: MSI GTX 660 OC
  • PSU: Corsair CX600 V2 80 Bronze
  • Case: CoolerMaster Storm Enforcer

You can get a 7870 for less then $300 and it performs just a tad slower but they overclock pretty well which should match or exceed the performance of he 580.

Yea technology is always evolving and it gets better and better all the time so there is no point waiting for more than a year for Maxwell. I guess I'll just get the 580 because I might actually get it for dirt cheap and it is still a beast card! 

Hmm the 7870 is solid...might consider it since the 580 is used! But I'm not in any rush atm. Hopefully either the 7870 or a 580 can handle BF4 and other games when they release

The cards should be able to handle the games if you set the graphics settings appropriately.