"incorect function" and " parameter is incorrect" external hard drive

SUPER_MOOSE93

my dad has given me an external hard drive that is recognised by my laptop but gives me error codes when i try to open it up. i googled the issues but couldnt really figure out a solution other than reformatting the drive and losing everything on it, he has stuff on there for his job that he needs to keep and im assuming he doesnt have any copies backed up anywhere. i am assuming there are programs that can recover at least a bit of data

25 minutes ago, SUPER_MOOSE93 said:

my dad has given me an external hard drive that is recognised by my laptop but gives me error codes when i try to open it up. i googled the issues but couldnt really figure out a solution other than reformatting the drive and losing everything on it, he has stuff on there for his job that he needs to keep and im assuming he doesnt have any copies backed up anywhere. i am assuming there are programs that can recover at least a bit of data

ZAR. Zero Assumption Recovery.

When you absolutely have to get every bit of data back, ZAR is your friend.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

ZAR. Zero Assumption Recovery.

When you absolutely have to get every bit of data back, ZAR is your friend.

excellent, thank you. going through it now but its going to take a while. hopefully i only need to do it once 

14 hours ago, SUPER_MOOSE93 said:

excellent, thank you. going through it now but its going to take a while. hopefully i only need to do it once 

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

On 7/7/2020 at 12:59 PM, Radium_Angel said:

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

tried a few times and it kept crashing the program, turns out there was only 1 thing he needed saving but he could redo it pretty easilly. probaby just ging to bin the drive as its making weird grinding sounds, my guess it that it was dropped one too many times