NVIDIA PhysX Software Today, and Other Uninstalls

Kaelon

Hi Everyone!

Traditionally, when setting up a brand new machine, I uninstall all of the NVIDIA software and drivers (GeForce Experience, HD Audio, etc.), especially PhysX.  Is this the right thing to do today?  (In this example, I'm using a new laptop with an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Max-Q.) Given that there are only ~40 games out on the market that support PhysX, none of which are current or new AAA titles, it seems like this software would technically classify as abandonware or bloatware, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything important or otherwise obvious here. 

Otherwise, I assume it's fine to remove it along with HD Audio, the NVIDIA USB-C Driver, GeForce Experience, etc.  Am I right in saying that?

Thanks for your thoughts!

i mean I hate GE but the instant replay/record/stream feature is really handy. Not sure how useful HD audio and the usbc driver are, but they seem important. 

Sure, get rid of PhysX. it's pointless imo. 

If you have the nvidia control panel and you dont need the instant replay/record/stream sure, get rid of GE. 

It still asks to download physX? I didn’t even see it during my last install.

Also I leave the usbc driver as that’s the only way the usbc port on it works.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

1 minute ago, Saksham said:

i mean I hate GE but the instant replay/record/stream feature is really handy. Not sure how useful HD audio and the usbc driver are, but they seem important. 

Sure, get rid of PhysX. it's pointless imo. 

If you have the nvidia control panel and you dont need the instant replay/record/stream sure, get rid of GE. 

I appreciate that! Glad to hear that PhysX is pointless, just as I suspected.  The list of titles officially leveraging PhysX is minuscule, too.

Yeah, I've never used GE before so didn't even know about the instant replay/record/stream feature.  I have a dedicated recording/streaming PC that I push content out to using an Elgato 4k60 Pro Mk. 2 capture card, so it was never top of mind.  Will definitely look into it.

Will also need to look into the NVIDIA-provided USB-C driver and why it would somehow be superior to the standard Windows 10 Pro USB-C drivers.

Just now, Jumballi said:

It still asks to download physX? I didn’t even see it during my last install.

Also I leave the usbc driver as that’s the only way the usbc port on it works.

Thanks!  And yeah, it comes pre-installed with ASUS ROG laptops, and when you download NVIDIA drivers, it's one of the many options offered.  I usually leave PhysX uninstalled, but hadn't checked into it for years and thought this might be a good time to check in with the LTT brain-trust. ;)

I'm going to leave the USB-C driver in there, out of an abundance of caution. Thanks again!