PC WiFi Problems

coneil3822

Hello my WiFi Speed is 200 Mbps. When I do the speed test on my phone I get 200Mbps Download and 20Mbps Upload. When I do this on my pc which is right next to my phone I get 10-40 Mbps Download and 5Mbps Upload. This is causing me to lag in most games. Ive tried everything and im 100 percent sure it is not my WiFi thats the problem. Any help would be really appreciated.

Ran into a post recently where a guy had 200mbps max and he fixed it by allowing his device to access higher frequency signals.

might or might not be relevant

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

25 minutes ago, coneil3822 said:

Hello my WiFi Speed is 200 Mbps. When I do the speed test on my phone I get 200Mbps Download and 20Mbps Upload. When I do this on my pc which is right next to my phone I get 10-40 Mbps Download and 5Mbps Upload. This is causing me to lag in most games. Ive tried everything and im 100 percent sure it is not my WiFi thats the problem. Any help would be really appreciated.

I know it's a bit of a silly question, but do you have the antenna attached to your computer's wifi adapter? (Assuming you're on a desktop computer)
When I got a pre-made pc sometime in 2014 I actually had no idea I was supposed to screw this cheap looking piece of plastic onto the back of my computer, since no other devices I owned needed one to connect to the internet 😅

I'm willing to bet you're a bit smarter than me though, so let's start with what kind of wifi adapter you have. If it's fairly old, or is otherwise only rated for 2.4 ghz, it will surely run slower than your phone. Phones typically have very good wireless in them, and speedtest will run faster on my phone and laptop than on my desktop's wifi, even with a decent modern wifi card.

1 minute ago, Lagombi said:

I know it's a bit of a silly question, but do you have the antenna attached to your computer's wifi adapter? (Assuming you're on a desktop computer)
When I got a pre-made pc sometime in 2014 I actually had no idea I was supposed to screw this cheap looking piece of plastic onto the back of my computer, since no other devices I owned needed one to connect to the internet 😅

I'm willing to bet you're a bit smarter than me though, so let's start with what kind of wifi adapter you have. If it's fairly old, or is otherwise only rated for 2.4 ghz, it will surely run slower than your phone. Phones typically have very good wireless in them, and speedtest will run faster on my phone and laptop than on my desktop's wifi, even with a decent modern wifi card.

Yes I have the Antennas screwed on and its just the one that came with the MSI Motherboard. This is a brand new board and I have seen 200Mbps on my PC when running the speed test but it has dropped for some reason. I have tried reseting WiFi, moving my PC in different positions and ive also tried and wifi extender but nothing is working

36 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Probably because your motherboard has the "sort by lowest price" wifi antenna. Just hook it up with an ethernet cable.

Its actually a decent MSI B450 Board mate. Don't bother commenting if you're not going to try and solve my problem. If I had the option to hook it up to ethernet I would but I'm not in the position to do that. Found your comment very rude.

4 minutes ago, coneil3822 said:

Yes I have the Antennas screwed on and its just the one that came with the MSI Motherboard. This is a brand new board and I have seen 200Mbps on my PC when running the speed test but it has dropped for some reason. I have tried reseting WiFi, moving my PC in different positions and ive also tried and wifi extender but nothing is working

If you had an update before you noticed your WiFi speed plummeted, you could try opening device manager, selecting the adapter, and rolling back the device drivers. Or, if an update is available that you don't have, you could check for that on MSi's website. 

That's probably where I'd start first. If nothing else in your home has changed, just your internet speed dropping, then there is certainly a solution that doesn't involve another purchase.

Just now, Lagombi said:

If you had an update before you noticed your WiFi speed plummeted, you could try opening device manager, selecting the adapter, and rolling back the device drivers. Or, if an update is available that you don't have, you could check for that on MSi's website. 

That's probably where I'd start first. If nothing else in your home has changed, just your internet speed dropping, then there is certainly a solution that doesn't involve another purchase.

Nope there has been no recent updates and all drivers are up to date. All been checked. When I run windows troubleshooter it says the DNS server is not responding and then it will reconnect but the speed it very slow. 

7 minutes ago, coneil3822 said:

Nope there has been no recent updates and all drivers are up to date. All been checked. When I run windows troubleshooter it says the DNS server is not responding and then it will reconnect but the speed it very slow. 

Ah, if it's the DNS that's the issue, you can actually change which DNS server you use within windows! There is a chance that your computer and your phone are operating on different ones. Our boy Linus made a video on Cloudflare DNS that might be helpful: 

However there are certainly multiple servers you can try, between your ISP's own DNS, Google's 8.8.8.8 DNS, cloudflare's 1.1.1.1, and more. 

I'm not 100% confident this is guaranteed to solve your problem, but it's worth trying. 

You could also try the speedtest with your firewall disabled to see if that has an impact, but I'm not sure you've made any changes to that. 

1 hour ago, coneil3822 said:

Ive tried everything

Did you try booting a different OS like Ubuntu or a fresh Windows installation?

8 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Did you try booting a different OS like Ubuntu or a fresh Windows installation?

No but i think im going to have to do that tomorrow.

9 minutes ago, coneil3822 said:

No but i think im going to have to do that tomorrow.

It wouldn't surprise me if it helps.

There's been a very reoccurring theme of people experiencing bandwidth problems on Windows. It feels like the posts have become more frequent lately.

You can try doing some local file transfers to see if you get speeds higher than you see with WAN bound traffic.