My PSU and its rising from the dead. No pls, if anyone. Knows what's up, help me

Go to solution Solved by LukeSavenije,
10 minutes ago, IStealYourDuck said:

It's been running quite well for over 1 1/2 years tho. 馃榿

Do you think it chipped away on the 'stability' of the PSU?聽

there are two problems here

1. 1080 ti's (especially MSI gaming x did this) has a very high peak power, triggering the more sensitive set OCP protections on PSUs sometimes, most often happening on budget units

2. the thing is a groupreg, making mainly the 5v voltage at times unstable... with more info here:

TL;DR: Disconnected my whole PC from my supposed to be dead PSU and reconnected it all back up. PC suddenly works again.

So my PC has been turning itself off twice in the last 2 weeks while gaming, I knew that it's probably the PSU (6 years on its back).聽

Yesterday it's time has come, the fans did a half a second spin and the PC didn't start. I checked the RAM sticks, they are alright.聽

After ordering a new PSU I removed the old dead one. Or at least I thought it's dead...

In the evening I decided to do the paperclip check, just for the sakes of it and suddenly the fan started spinning?

I've went curious, maybe something else in my PC went bad?

I plugged in the Hardware in the following order:聽

MB and CPU - GPU - SSD1 - SSD2 - HDD

The PC seems to be perfectly fine now... But why?

My PC is plugged into a power strip that directly goes into the wall outlet. This exact power strip has a master/slave mechanic with a USB cable that makes sure, all my peripherals only turn on, when the PC is running.聽

Does anyone understand what the biscuit is going on?聽

PC specs:聽

Ryzen 5 2600

16 GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz

GTX 1080Ti (inno3D iChill x3)

Corsair VS 650

2 Samsung 500GB SSD's

1 Toshiba HDD

Edited by IStealYourDuck
PC specs

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

the fact that you try to combine a cheap group regulated PSU with a 1080 ti might be part of the problem...

Maybe, or one of the plugs was just making a bad contact and removing/reinserting them all cleared it.

F@H
Desktop:聽i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0,聽Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO,聽Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro聽RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan),聽Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Maybe, or one of the plugs was just making a bad contact and removing/reinserting them all cleared it.

Ay that seems plausible.聽

Could the plug it even be broken?

Edited by IStealYourDuck
Clarification

8 minutes ago, IStealYourDuck said:

It's been running quite well for over 1 1/2 years tho.

Yea that doesn't mean it will be good聽

Don't cheap out on the PSU聽

The vs650 is a terrible PSU for such build.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad.聽

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log:聽

10 minutes ago, IStealYourDuck said:

there are two problems here

1. 1080 ti's (especially MSI gaming x did this) has a very high peak power, triggering the more sensitive set OCP protections on PSUs sometimes, most often happening on budget units

2. the thing is a groupreg, making mainly the 5v voltage at times unstable... with more info here:

@LukeSavenije I'll deff check out that post.聽

The new PSU I ordered is a 650 bequiet! StraightPower 11 with a 80+Gold certification.聽

Is that a reasonable improvement?聽

Thanks for the help!聽

1 minute ago, IStealYourDuck said:

The new PSU I ordered is a 650 bequiet! StraightPower 11 with a 80+Gold certification.聽

very, though I'd recommend connecting the cables on two different rails with the GPU

3 minutes ago, IStealYourDuck said:

@LukeSavenije I'll deff check out that post.聽

Thanks for the help!聽

great PSU! (multi-rail gang). Remember to take everything that Luke聽says as g o s p e l

It is but human, to err, to buy a PSU, akin to dirt,

but fret not, young Padawan,聽for we will tell you,聽

what will become, of that, which you have earned

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

very, though I'd recommend connecting the cables on two different rails with the GPU

Great! I've heard about connecting it using two different rails, is it only a slight performance gain or has it another reason aswell?聽

13 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Yea that doesn't mean it will be good聽

Don't cheap out on the PSU聽

The vs650 is a terrible PSU for such build.

I've had a 780Ti before and got a really cheap. Offer on that 1080Ti... At that time I wasn't really thinking about the PSU tbh馃槄

2 minutes ago, IStealYourDuck said:

Great! I've heard about connecting it using two different rails, is it only a slight performance gain or has it another reason aswell?聽

Common practice to avoid putting too much load on a single rail

It is but human, to err, to buy a PSU, akin to dirt,

but fret not, young Padawan,聽for we will tell you,聽

what will become, of that, which you have earned

5 minutes ago, IStealYourDuck said:

it's more that

1. by using two separate cables, you'll limit the amount of current, while you keep them both at separate OCP channels
  2. your chances of a sudden shutdown is lower since you have two limits on two cables instead of one limit on two cables