Advice on Raspberry Pi

Niekao

Hey,

I hope this is the right place to post this, so fingers crossed.

I want to buy a Raspberry Pi 4B 8Gb version. I just didnt know what case. With that comes the problem of thermals.

I was wondering if people here have experience with Pi's and if they can say something usefull about keeping them cool.

Right now I am in debate on having a case with purely passive cooling: https://www.elektor.com/pimoroni-aluminium-heatsink-case-for-raspberry-pi-4

Or get one with quite some passive cooling but also 2 mini fans: https://www.elektor.com/joy-it-armor-aluminium-heatsink-case-with-dual-fan-for-raspberry-pi-4

I am however worried that they will produce too much noise. I was also considering getting the first option and somehow applying a bigger fan on top that does the cooling, this would quite a lot of work.

Im not sure yet what the workload will be, but I want to be sure that I can put a load on it without having to worry about getting it too hot.

Thanks for your advice!

I got SBCs that run a lot hotter than Broadcom chips and I just use tiny vram heatsinks on them and it works fine. As long as you arent going to be overclocking your RPI you are fine without fans or even a heatsink. I have to say that 8G ram is quite a lot for RPI, may I ask what you intend to do with it?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

@Niekao

https://geizhals.de/52pi-ice-tower-cpu-cooling-fan-for-raspberry-pi-ep-0107-a2193476.html

If you want to be the coolest kid 

Edited by Drama Lama

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Just now, Levent said:

I got SBCs that run a lot hotter than Broadcom chips and I just use tiny vram heatsinks on them and it works fine. As long as you arent going to be overclocking your RPI you are fine without fans or even a heatsink. I have to say that 8G ram is quite a lot for RPI, may I ask what you intend to do with it?

I like not being limited by hardware. I've gamed on complete crap for like 8 years and now I've got a good computer. I dont want to sound like a spoiled brat, but I dont know what I'll do yet, I just do want to be limited if I do decide I want to do something that requires a lot of ram

Take a look at explaining computers on youtube. His entire channel is basically all about SBC's.

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

7 minutes ago, Niekao said:

Well that is definitely something. But same problem, I wonder if the fan will be too obnoxious

Fans are always noticeable in a room with no other noise, thats why I dont run fans on my SBCs. 

8 minutes ago, Niekao said:

I like not being limited by hardware. I've gamed on complete crap for like 8 years and now I've got a good computer. I dont want to sound like a spoiled brat, but I dont know what I'll do yet, I just do want to be limited if I do decide I want to do something that requires a lot of ram

I have yet to see someone needing more than 2Gs of ram with a RPI. I run octoprint, openvpn client, openmediavault, transmission and pi-hole on OPZ with 512mb ram and I only use %40 of the ram. 8G is WAY too overkill if you are not sure what you are going to do.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Levent said:

Fans are always noticeable in a room with no other noise, thats why I dont run fans on my SBCs. 

I have yet to see someone needing more than 2Gs of ram in RPI. I run octoprint, openvpn client, openmediavault, transmission and pi-hole on OPZ with 512mb ram and I only use %40 of the ram. 8G is WAY too overkill if you are not sure what you are going to do.

MHm okay I will consider it. Im going to need one for my unversity work, dont know yet what I will need to do with it and I want one to host a website for myself.