Lenovo ThinkPad Onelink Pro Dock to USB c

Go to solution Solved by Hackentosher,

Short answer: no

Longer answer: probably not. Type C is a very complicated connector with an even more complicated protocol making it work. I'm not familiar with that particular dock, but I can almost guarantee Lenovo didn't implement a type-c standard into a non standard connector. If they did, they would have just used the type-c connector. This leads me to believe they developed their own communication protocol for the various interfaces broken out on that dock. Best case scenario you might be able to get power and maybe USB 2.0 through a type C cable you hack off and solder in place of that yellow guy, but first you'd need a pinout and good luck finding that. This is also assuming they ran normal D+ and D- lines in that connector instead of encoding the signals in some proprietary protocol. Sorry to poo on your idea, but I don't think it's possible. If it is possible, it's not worth your time given how inexpensive thunderbolt 3 docks have gotten.

So I have a ThinkPad Onelink Pro Dock model nr DU9033S1 it has this funny Lenovo only connector on it that no one uses so probably won't be able to sell it so I wanna know if I can cut the connector and attach a USB c port so it's usable it's useless to me otherwise so instead of throwing it away I wanna know if I can mess around with it first any ideas, links to any helpful sites or tutorials for DIY modding stuff like this thanks.

15934496295031418178627.jpg

1593449675173-719525942.jpg

1593449828537214043747.jpg

Nope, that will only work with a Thinkpad with that connector. Sell it. Someone will buy it if you sell for less than eBay.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Short answer: no

Longer answer: probably not. Type C is a very complicated connector with an even more complicated protocol making it work. I'm not familiar with that particular dock, but I can almost guarantee Lenovo didn't implement a type-c standard into a non standard connector. If they did, they would have just used the type-c connector. This leads me to believe they developed their own communication protocol for the various interfaces broken out on that dock. Best case scenario you might be able to get power and maybe USB 2.0 through a type C cable you hack off and solder in place of that yellow guy, but first you'd need a pinout and good luck finding that. This is also assuming they ran normal D+ and D- lines in that connector instead of encoding the signals in some proprietary protocol. Sorry to poo on your idea, but I don't think it's possible. If it is possible, it's not worth your time given how inexpensive thunderbolt 3 docks have gotten.

ASU

• 2 years later...

I was curious on this myself, here is a link to the pinouts

https://pinoutguide.com/SerialPorts/Lenovo_ThinkPad_OneLink_d_pinout.shtml