HOLY SHIT!!!

As the title states.... HOLY SHIT!! I was just looking at ram and is it just me or has it gone up super high!?! 

After seeing that i'm starting to use up almost all of my 8Gigs I was looking at prices for some more memory and

for a 4x2 GB kit it was about $90!!

So... i guess my question is has it gone up? along with WHY!!?!

CPU:i5-3570k OC'd to 4.0 MOBO: MSI Z77A-G41 GPU: Asus 660Ti 2Gb OC Case: NZXT Source 210 Black and Windowed RAM: Kingston HyperX Black Series 8GB Storage: WD 1TB Caviar Black, 3TB WD Green, 120GB Kingston HyperX CPU Cooler: CM TX3 PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W OS: Win 7 Perf: Corsair M65, Acer S220HQLAbd 21.5" Main with 17" Secondary, a Corsair K70, and ATH-M50's.

Which kit?

"M. Aronnax." replied the Canadian, "your arguments are rotten at the foundation. You speak in the future, 'We shall be there! we shall be here!' I speak in the present, 'We are here, and we must profit by it.'"

its been this pricey for a while bud 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

It's been like this since 2013....

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Which kit?

Same as in my rig ATM, its Kingston HyperX 2x4GB 1600 Black Series

its been this pricey for a while bud 

Damn... really? Well its been about a year since I built and i'm just running into this problem so that's why i'm amazed.

CPU:i5-3570k OC'd to 4.0 MOBO: MSI Z77A-G41 GPU: Asus 660Ti 2Gb OC Case: NZXT Source 210 Black and Windowed RAM: Kingston HyperX Black Series 8GB Storage: WD 1TB Caviar Black, 3TB WD Green, 120GB Kingston HyperX CPU Cooler: CM TX3 PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W OS: Win 7 Perf: Corsair M65, Acer S220HQLAbd 21.5" Main with 17" Secondary, a Corsair K70, and ATH-M50's.

Iv noticed its coming back down though. the ram I bought was 140 when I bought it it jumped all the way up to 200 and stayed there for a good long while. its now ~170.

Ram prices went up because of that fire at one of the plants about a 8 months ago.

I was wondering if that plant had anything to do with it but I wasn't sure, Glad to know its coming down again but jeeze... it costs an arm and a leg right now.

RAM has gone down.... during Fall 2013 it went up double, but now it has dropped like $30...

Umm, it's been like this for ages, at least in Aus it has. Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB was $120 at the start of last year, now it's $115. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

As the title states.... HOLY SHIT!! I was just looking at ram and is it just me or has it gone up super high!?! 

After seeing that i'm starting to use up almost all of my 8Gigs I was looking at prices for some more memory and

for a 4x2 GB kit it was about $90!!

So... i guess my question is has it gone up? along with WHY!!?!

This makes me glad I had gotten my 2x4gb Samsung "Wonder RAM" kit back when it was $40. Now that it's discontinued, when it does pop up on Ebay, it goes for $100 plus :)

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

Umm, it's been like this for ages, at least in Aus it has. Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB was $120 at the start of last year, now it's $115. 

Like i said earlier, I haven't bought in almost a year, and the kit that i did get a little bit back was fairly cheap for what it was.

Ram prices not only went up because of the fire in the factory, they went up because they are focusing more on making ram modules for phones reducing the amount of ram produced for desktop pcs

Life.exe is missing

Meanwhile, 16GBs of server grade ECC DDR2 RAM on Ebay (used) is going for $60. Let there be anarchy. 

For reference, 64GB of server grade ECC DDR3 RAM new is like $700. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Meanwhile, 16GBs of server grade ECC DDR2 RAM on Ebay (used) is going for $60. Let there be anarchy. 

For reference, 64GB of server grade ECC DDR3 RAM new is like $700. 

lawl xD. Really $700? wow

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

Didn't the same sort of thing happen with HDDs a while back?

Also, I got my RAM just before 2013 so I was safe. (It was a present anyway.. 1600MHz 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Blu BTW.)

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

lawl xD. Really $700? wow

Yep. Really. 

It's ECC though, and there's a purpose to that. 

Seriously though, using used parts on Ebay (from reputable sellers, of course), you can make one hell of a machine with Xeons, Super Micro motherboards, and DDR2 ECC RAM for like $200 (8 cores, at 2.6GHz IIRC though, 16-32GB of RAM, etc). 

It's pretty great for storage related stuff (FreeNAS).

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Fires Burn Factories. They couldnt hire one of the thousand other ones in China to make those modules. Smells like scam to me.

Yep Its all gone up in some cases doubled over the last year or so.

yeah, prices have gone up an insane amount.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|