Overclocking RAM on HP pre-built

I recently purchased a pre-built HP desktop and I'm looking to overclock my RAM but the HP BIOS does not have an option to enable XMP or change RAM speed. What am I doing wrong or do I need a different BIOS?

Maybe the chipset of the board doesnt allow such thing? Also HP may use propritary software for that rather than the BIOS because prebuilts are for those that think BIOS stands for "butchered in obvious sawmill", something scary like that.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

You can look into bios unlocking (Bios modding), to unlock it. Although its really just making settings visible. I have only done this on a laptop. What is your desktops model number (I will try and see if the bios has any of those features hidden, or if it just doesn't have them)

Word of Warning: If you screw up your bios, you wont be able to recover it unless your motherboard has a built in bios backup chip, or you have the physical hardware to flash a bios. If you are still interested you can check if anyone over at https://www.bios-mods.com/ has already made an unlocked bios, You can also request them over there. Alternatively you can look up guides to unlock it yourself (again at Risk of Bricking your motherboard).

I wish you luck!

33 minutes ago, jasonmbrown222 said:

You can look into bios unlocking (Bios modding), to unlock it. Although its really just making settings visible. I have only done this on a laptop. What is your desktops model number (I will try and see if the bios has any of those features hidden, or if it just doesn't have them)

Word of Warning: If you screw up your bios, you wont be able to recover it unless your motherboard has a built in bios backup chip, or you have the physical hardware to flash a bios. If you are still interested you can check if anyone over at https://www.bios-mods.com/ has already made an unlocked bios, You can also request them over there. Alternatively you can look up guides to unlock it yourself (again at Risk of Bricking your motherboard).

I wish you luck!

Here is the model number: TG01-0170m

Im pretty new to bios modding, I don't think I grabbed any useful information. There isn't much information about your computer anywhere. I couldn't even find the motherboard model anywhere. All I could see in the bios tool I have was that it goes up to 2400mhz, but given that the computer comes with 2666mhz i probably did something incorrectly (Or that would be 4800mhz... its been a while since I did ram xmp/overclocking). 

I would try asking on bios-mods, give them your motherboard model number and prebuild model. See if someone there is able to help.

I don't trust myself to do my own bios modding at this point (I mean I will but if I break something then I get to use an EEPROM Programmer). There is absolutely no way I would be willing to send out a bios I modded without testing it first, and without the same motherboard I'm not sure of a method of testing it.

1 hour ago, jasonmbrown222 said:

Im pretty new to bios modding, I don't think I grabbed any useful information. There isn't much information about your computer anywhere. I couldn't even find the motherboard model anywhere. All I could see in the bios tool I have was that it goes up to 2400mhz, but given that the computer comes with 2666mhz i probably did something incorrectly (Or that would be 4800mhz... its been a while since I did ram xmp/overclocking). 

I would try asking on bios-mods, give them your motherboard model number and prebuild model. See if someone there is able to help.

I don't trust myself to do my own bios modding at this point (I mean I will but if I break something then I get to use an EEPROM Programmer). There is absolutely no way I would be willing to send out a bios I modded without testing it first, and without the same motherboard I'm not sure of a method of testing it.

Ok, thanks. I will go ask there about it.