[$700 USD] Gaming PC

CYaN_Bob

So I'm back but this time for a friend.

When I showed him my PC, courtesy of mikeangeles 75, it got him interested in building one for himself.

As the title states, he has a budget of $700 USD and would like a gaming PC. He asks that you guys don't add in a case as he has his eyes set on the define r4 and is putting a separate budget for peripherals. Everything else is pretty much needed.

*Note to builders

He doesn't have a preference for AMD or Intel, whichever gets him more bang for buck. Also, the OS (Win8) does not need to be included in the pcpartpicker list if you would like to allocate more towards the hardware.

Anime Addict |  My Rig: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZGrQxr

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/31AAY

this is the best i could find

Trust Me, putting a 770 with a low processor like that isn't a good idea. I would drop to a 760 and get an i3 or the fx 6300.

If your friend intends to upgrade get the i3 (better possibilities)

Also there is no case in that link so drop the sound card and get a 200r or something else

Umm, I'm going to try this for your friend and note: I am by no means a good PC builder since I haven't even built a PC before, but I have some knowledge here and there.

AMD:

CPU:  AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard:  ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($84.99 @ Microcenter) 
Memory:  Kingston Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card  ($249.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply:  Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($37.99 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive:  Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($16.98 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $724.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-01 00:43 EST-0500)

It's over by $74.89 $24.90, but you could find a different case, let him borrow an optical drive to install Windows 8.1, find a different case, a lower PSU, or something. PCs can be customized very easily, so there are tons of options out there. This build is completely overclockable, but your friend might need an aftermarket CPU cooler, case fans, etc. 

Intel:

CPU:  Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($189.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard:  ASRock B85M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory:  Kingston Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card  ($249.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply:  Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive:  Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($16.98 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $756.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-01 00:50 EST-0500)

I don't know much about Intel CPUs, but I do know they're generally going to be more expensive, but that comes with less power usage and as of now, a more clearer upgrade path, except I'm not sure how this one would work out, the i5-3350P. Anyway, there are changes in case, PSU, and storage, but you can choose different parts based on others opinions and sites. This is more or less, a reference. As for overclocking, I'm not sure, but I think the i5 here can't be overclocked as much as the FX-6300, take that with a grain of salt by the way.

Edit: Just saw you said that a case was not necessary and I changed the Intel build's CPU and mobo.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |