I've been wanting to start a Plex media server but have no idea where to start.

Need ideas as to how does Plex work and what should i use as a server. Video files are 1080p movies and i'm expecting about 2-3 streams at the same time.

So you can install plex on a lot of system(most desktops oses and nas systems)

Transcoding might be needed if the client can't play it. This is why you would want a fast cpu or gpu in a plex server, for your use, you won't need any thing too fast.

Normally you might as well make a nas aswell.

For a build with those requirements, probably a few bigger hard drives, midrange cpu, low end gpu will work fine.

Do ou have a budget in mine? Storage needs?

5 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

So you can install plex on a lot of system(most desktops oses and nas systems)

Transcoding might be needed if the client can't play it. This is why you would want a fast cpu or gpu in a plex server, for your use, you won't need any thing too fast.

Normally you might as well make a nas aswell.

For a build with those requirements, probably a few bigger hard drives, midrange cpu, low end gpu will work fine.

Do ou have a budget in mine? Storage needs?

Budget is around $200-$300 and storage I was thinking starting with 1 4tb Seagate NAS drive and then getting more if the need arises.

Just now, cuntydumplin445 said:

Budget is around $200-$300 and storage I was thinking starting with 1 4tb Seagate NAS drive and then getting more if the need arises.

Id probably look into used desktops if you can with that budget. 

Otherwise, something like a 2200g would be a good option.

Then get a seprate boot ssd and put a linux distro(unraid would work well here) and your good to go.

5 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Then get a seprate boot ssd and put a linux distro(unraid would work well here) and your good to go

How do i set up everything in Linux? Do you have a guide or something like that?

5 minutes ago, cuntydumplin445 said:

How do i set up everything in Linux? Do you have a guide or something like that?

You might want to try and learn some basic Linux and stuff about running servers first before attempting this. If you are new to Linux, then learning it, Plex, networking, and the nuances of self-hosting services will be quite difficult. Maybe see if you have a friend who knows about this stuff and can help you either in person or on a phone call for extended periods of time (you will encounter issues no matter how good you are).

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

5 hours ago, LtStaffel said:

You might want to try and learn some basic Linux and stuff about running servers first before attempting this. If you are new to Linux, then learning it, Plex, networking, and the nuances of self-hosting services will be quite difficult. Maybe see if you have a friend who knows about this stuff and can help you either in person or on a phone call for extended periods of time (you will encounter issues no matter how good you are).

Great I appreciate the help.