WD MyBooks on a USB hub

Kraddock

Hi guys, 

I have two external drives, both WD MyBook 8TB (3.5"). They are identical and self-powered via external adapters and don't require power over USB.

However, the data cables are only 20" (50 cm) long. Unfortunately, this is too short for my new setup (the external drivers are now hidden in a drawer) and I need to extend the connection at least to an additional 6 feet 5 (~2 meters)

I guess the only options is to use an USB hub over a Type-C USB 3.1 Gen2 port (on a Razer Blade Stealth) - it's the only available port I have.

I am worried about data corruption because of the new length, HDD performance (two drives on a single port) and general compatibility.

I need your help finding a quality USB hub (or alternatives) that would work for this setup... I fear that there aren't many hubs with cables over 3 feet and I would have to use a third cable (duh!) to connect everything together :(

Thank you for reading!

How about just a longer data cable? My WD mybook came with like atleast a meter long cable, so you can probably buy even longer ones.

The 2 drives on a single port shouldn't be a issue, as they are usb 3 5gbit, and your usb port is atleast 10gbit.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

off the top of my head, USB is designed for a cable length of maximum 5 meters, so 2 meters should be completely fine.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

off the top of my head, USB is designed for a cable length of maximum 5 meters, so 2 meters should be completely fine.

That is for usb 2.0 tho. USB 3 doesn't have max limits, but in the practical world usb 3.0 is max 3m, and the usb 3.2 etc even shorter.

But imo USB 3.0 is enough for an external harddrive.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.