Help setting up Asus RT-A68U!

JonnyOnAPony

Hey guys, so I just recently purchased the Asus RT-A68U wireless router and I have come to a hiccup in the set up process! My ISP has said that my WAN type has to be "dynamic IP". Now the router manual says that it should automaticaly detect when a dynamic IP is necissary but it isn't doing this :( I can't select the option anywhere in the menus either. 

Can anyone help me? please :(

Something like Automatically obtain IP, get DHCP etc. Should be in the setup process.

Edit: I see, isn't doing it.... GG.

Once connected to your router, log into the control panel by going to your router's local address (192.168.1.1 by default). After logging in, click on the WAN tab on the left-side menu bar. You can then select your connection type (set to DHCP in your case) 

Config

Once connected to your router, log into the control panel by going to your router's local address (192.168.1.1 by default). After logging in, click on the WAN tab on the left-side menu bar. You can then select your connection type (set to DHCP in your case) 

Config

So I should duplicate those settings? :)

So I should duplicate those settings? :)

Feel free to copy the values from the "Basic Config" and "WAN DNS" setting fields as they should meet your connection requirements. Other settings can be changed as needed.

Feel free to copy the values from the "Basic Config" and "WAN DNS" setting fields as they should meet your connection requirements. Other settings can be changed as needed.

It just times out.... :(

Have you configured anything else on the router?

No, I reset it and do the first time set up, it fails to realise i have an internet connection :/ Very confused good sir

No, I reset it and do the first time set up, it fails to realise i have an internet connection :/ Very confused good sir

Just to verify, I'm assuming you're replacing your previous router?

Just to verify, I'm assuming you're replacing your previous router?

Yep :)

It should auto detect DHCP if you plug in it directly to your modem. I didn't have any issues with it auto recognizing the connection. Worst case, scenario feed it the dynamic IP and then set it to DHCP and see if it'll get you online. From there, it should be able to do the work for you.

Go to CMD and input "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew"

Go to CMD and input "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew"

The commands you posted above are used by DHCP enabled hosts to abandon and obtain an address. The OP however is trying to configure his router to obtain an address on his ISP's network.