PC Upgrade suggestions required

Hello fellow computer geeks, my father has 2 old desktops, I was planning on upgrading one of them to a computer than can handle high fps (atleast above 60) constantly on high end games, such as Forza horizon and GTAV.

As I'm still in college I would like to keep the cost low. The 2 desktops are "HP Elite 7500 MT" and "HP Pavilion A6542P Tower PC". Both computers run fine, however, they are very slow and none of them have even an HDMI output socket.

My dad used to be a hardcore gamer but had to give that up to take care of his family, I would like to reward him with a great computer. 

It would help a lot if someone could list what to upgrade, the part names, estimated price and suggestions.

Also, is it worth it to upgrade any of these 2 computers or just buy a new one?
Thanks in advance for the help, Love you peeps (No Homo).

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I've got the specs so others can help you better:

HP pavilion has:

Intel Pentium E2200 / 2.2 GHz

4GB ddr2 

onboard video

vista era

https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-a6542p-tower-pentium-e2200-2-2-ghz-4-gb-640-gb/

Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks

@NLamki

do you know specifically what model number your hp elite has? it has a variety of configurations from terrible to actually ok.

as per the pavilion, gaming on it is a lost cause unfortunately. 

Thanks

6 minutes ago, Mad153 said:

@NLamki

do you know specifically what model number your hp elite has? it has a variety of configurations from terrible to actually ok.

as per the pavilion, gaming on it is a lost cause unfortunately. 

Sorry I got the wrong name, it is actually a HP Elite 7300 series MT.

Here is a link to the specs. https://devid.info/cat/model/49617

1 minute ago, NLamki said:

Sorry I got the wrong name, it is actually a HP Elite 7300 series MT.

Here is a link to the specs. https://devid.info/cat/model/49617

not sure if I don't know how to use this website, or it hasn't worked properly, but the processer is listed as a "intel processor".

maybe try running this https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy  and send a screenshot? 

Thanks

Just now, Mad153 said:

not sure if I don't know how to use this website, or it hasn't worked properly, but the processer is listed as a "intel processor".

I don't have the PC as of right now, as it is in my dad's office and I cannot go there until later.

2 minutes ago, Mad153 said:

This is the model number LH035EA#ABV

2 minutes ago, NLamki said:

I don't have the PC as of right now, as it is in my dad's office and I cannot go there until later.

no worries. I would stop using your site though as it contains download links to malware. Uploaded it to this site where 40+ antiviruses scan it and more than 18 say its malware: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/0338cb1c06480e102e68e8632a6690e2ab83a65bf29c56542a9682089eb5a6aa/detection

Thanks

1 minute ago, Mad153 said:

no worries. I would stop using your site though as it contains download links to malware. Uploaded it to this site where 40+ antiviruses scan it and more than 18 say its malware: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/0338cb1c06480e102e68e8632a6690e2ab83a65bf29c56542a9682089eb5a6aa/detection

It was my first time using it and I just used it for reference, but thank you for the heads up!

ok so the specs are:

HP Elite 7300 MT, Intel Core i7-2600 (3.4 Ghz, 8MB) Processor, 4GB PC3-10600 Memory (1x4GB), 1TB 7200 RPM SATA-3.0 G b/s, Intel HD Graphics

Upgrading PC's from companies such as Dell or HP is quite hard because they do not use standard... anything from power supply cables to motherboards. The power supply is the main concern here as you will need to buy a new one to get a GPU, but the pins on the motherboard are likely to be non standard and playing around with electricity is not a good idea. 

I hope someone with better knowledge of pre made computers will pick this up, but if you buy a new PSU, GPU, some more ram and perhaps an SSD, you'll have quite the good gaming pc for about 300 USD in upgrades, if you figure out the HP compatibility  issues

Thanks

@NLamki didn't think I would find some manuals but I found a full replacement guide for businesses:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03550664

it indicates that the PSU is a standard ATX one and the cables are normal. Therefore upgrading is completely possible. It supports up to 16 GB of ram at 1333Hz and GPUs. While 60 FPS in games like that are quite ambitious, 30 FPS is definitely doable. What country do you live in so I can get you a parts list for some good upgrades?

Thanks

found these videos suggesting he'll get 60 FPS plus in forza:

and this video where when he is playing at 1080p, he's getting about 50 average. ULTRA settings though

this is basically what you will get with some upgrades.

Thanks

for my first gaming rig i am upgrading a dell optiplex 9020 so i have been looking at budget parts to upgrade my system on the cheap and depending on the specific specs of it you might not want to go on the same path as me but this is what im doing and it may help you.

step 1:  ssd, if i does not already come with an a decent at least 30 dollar ssd you would be getting a huge performance upgrade in everything you would consider other than just pure FPS or like rendering distance so i reccomend this ssd for you https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX500-250GB-NAND-Internal/dp/B0781VSXBP/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=214FVSSDPG9MN&dchild=1&keywords=crucial+mx500+256gb&qid=1592770561&sprefix=crucial+mx500+256%2Caps%2C192&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFGT1o1TVdWS1JXQzcmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAzNDI2MTMyVkpEQkVQS1hFRjNQJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA5NjgzMDIzMVRBNzk2RTJJR0s2JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

step 2:  most computers from hp or dell from that time have around 200 to 300 watt power supplies so i am upgrading to a 450 watt so i can actually put in a graphics card with more than a 70 watt power draw if you already have a psu that is rated for all the stuff you want and any upgrades you might think of down the line you dont really need one i would recommend the corsair cv450, 450 watt power suplly so it can run healthily with some expansion over the years but the wattage and type would really depend on the parts you are gonna get

step 3: graphics card.  to me this was a very important upgrade and i spent a bunch of time looking for it with a max of 150 dollar budget.  i think the best solution is the gtx 1650 super since it is only 10 or 20 dollars more than its non-super counterpart and the performance is sometimes around 20 to 30 percent better.

step 4: more ram depending on how many you slots you have you should get two 4 gig sticks running in dual channel or for really cheap 2 2 gig sticks in dual channel (if you manage to find two 2 gig sticks that are at worst ddr3 hopefully ddr4)

Unnecessary extra step if you have money left:  your cpu is still good and should not be a bottlekneck or at last that much of a bottlekneck

if you want to look at more cpu options this website is helpful: https://minitipsx.com/best-lga-1155-cpu/

also if you know the monitor specifications it would help more people help you.

any questions welcome

Also to anyone who was wondering about helping with a cpu upgrade the socket is LGA-1155 (only if left over budget that would not go to like a better headset mic or peripherals)

Edited by big oof 1

@big oof 1 I think ram is more important instead of a unlocked CPU because it has 4gb of ddr3 ram probably running at a low speed.

Therefore I recommend from most to least important:

GPU (but compact one because the case seems quite small) and PSU, then ram, then SSD, then unlocked CPU.

However an unlocked CPU isn't really helpful here as this hp board probably doesn't have a bios capable of overclocking and if it does, it will be terrible results. Also it seems OP doesn't have much spare money about (hence he is upgrading old system) and if the CPU dies even sooner due to overclock, he might be out of a pc for some time.

Edit: 

58 minutes ago, big oof 1 said:

Also to anyone who was wondering about helping with a cpu upgrade the socket is LGA-1155

He has the best cpu his mobo supports. It's specifically listed in that repair guide I posted earlier that 3rd gen i7s won't work.

Thanks

@Mad153 

24 minutes ago, Mad153 said:

@big oof 1 I think ram is more important instead of a unlocked CPU because it has 4gb of ddr3 ram probably running at a low speed.

Therefore I recommend from most to least important:

GPU (but compact one because the case seems quite small) and PSU, then ram, then SSD, then unlocked CPU.

However an unlocked CPU isn't really helpful here as this hp board probably doesn't have a bios capable of overclocking and if it does, it will be terrible results. Also it seems OP doesn't have much spare money about (hence he is upgrading old system) and if the CPU dies even sooner due to overclock, he might be out of a pc for some time.

Edit: 

He has the best cpu his mobo supports. It's specifically listed in that repair guide I posted earlier that 3rd gen i7s won't work.

ooops sorry i forgot about the CPU thing but i agree that the cpu is totally fine and more ram would be pretty important but the speed difference of loading and file transferring and download times is so much faster on the ssd then just a straight hard drive and if their dad wants to record gameplay and or video edit on youtube an ssd would be important. But if all this is for is running games and you dont really care about recording or editing photos or videos and dont mind the extra loading time than a ssd is not necessary.  But faster storage can store and retrieve things faster (as the idea of 'faster' storage implies).  And @NLamki the cpu is ok and does not to be upgraded.

11 hours ago, Mad153 said:

@NLamki didn't think I would find some manuals but I found a full replacement guide for businesses:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03550664

it indicates that the PSU is a standard ATX one and the cables are normal. Therefore upgrading is completely possible. It supports up to 16 GB of ram at 1333Hz and GPUs. While 60 FPS in games like that are quite ambitious, 30 FPS is definitely doable. What country do you live in so I can get you a parts list for some good upgrades?

I live in Oman, the parts here are a little limited, however, I frequently travel to UAE (mainly dubai) So I will be able to get parts from there too,

Thanks

6 minutes ago, Mad153 said:

Alright, thank I'll look into these. but do you recommend addding more fan(s)?

1 minute ago, NLamki said:

Alright, thank I'll look into these. but do you recommend addding more fan(s)?

Yes, but don't buy them until you know the case has space for an extra fan

Thanks

@NLamki you are best off ordering online and getting stuff like the graphics card used from ebay.  Newegg has a pretty good deal on my reccomended graphics card for you but if your budget is really tight GPU's are probably the best thing out of the stuff you need to buy for the system to get used anyway.  But PSA please do not buy used storage.  If your dad wants to film gameplay or save anything as a file or do pretty much any work stuff other than game it would be good to just get a cheap 20 ssd but again i say Dont buy storage (especially an ssd) used.  also if you get the cmputer could you post a picture of it and the dimensions so me and @Mad153 can help you with which fans to get and it would allow for people to better tell how much room really is there

7 hours ago, Mad153 said:

Oh I also forgot to mention, the computer uses VGA instead of hdmi. How do I change this?
Also if I just use an adapter, wouldn't that decrease the graphical abilities?

@NLamki you should be totally fine using that adapter. I looked into it for you and found that hdmi and dvi carrie the same signal except for extra signals from hdmi like audio to the monitor. as long as you plug whatever sound system you are using into the pc or directly connect it in some other way to the computer there should be no problem at all.  look at this link for more descriptive in depth answers https://www.quora.com/Does-a-DVI-D-to-HDMI-adapter-reduce-the-performance-of-a-graphics-card#:~:text=Originally Answered%3A Does a DVI,be any loss in performance.

1 hour ago, big oof 1 said:

@NLamki you should be totally fine using that adapter. I looked into it for you and found that hdmi and dvi carrie the same signal except for extra signals from hdmi like audio to the monitor. as long as you plug whatever sound system you are using into the pc or directly connect it in some other way to the computer there should be no problem at all.  look at this link for more descriptive in depth answers https://www.quora.com/Does-a-DVI-D-to-HDMI-adapter-reduce-the-performance-of-a-graphics-card#:~:text=Originally Answered%3A Does a DVI,be any loss in performance.

I got a dope sound system, only problem is finding a 1080p monitor that supports that type of input. thank you tho