Streaming PC for OBS

lal12

Budget (including currency): 700-900€

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Streaming with OBS Studio

Other details:

I am currently building a Streaming PC for our church (Covid-19 Livestreams).

I want to stream in 1080p30 with OBS. Incoming are several network video streams (different Cameras and Image from the Projector)

My current plan is the following:

- Cheapest Brand PSU e.g. Corsair 400W)
- Cheap ATX case

- Ryzen 7 3700X or Ryzen 9 3900x

- 2x8GB DDR4-3200

- NVME 500GB (probably Crucial P1)

- Maybe a MSI X470 GAMING PLUS MAX
- GTX 1650 SUPER or a AMD RX 550 or 560.

So first of all what are your thoughts on the build regarding its purpose? I am relatively certain that it is sufficient from a performance side, I don't have that much experience with streaming though.

I basicially chose the MSI X470 GAMING PLUS since it was the cheapest option with a bunch of PCIe expansion slots. Currently I only need one Slot for a GPU, but I could imagine that in the future it is imaginable that I would want to use a 10G NIC and maybe a USB expansion. But from a performance standpoint, would you have any concern regarding a X470 or B550 or B450 board?

Since I prefer to use Software encoding the GPU is not that essential. I think I just for scaling and other filters OBS is not that GPU intensive. Am I correct on that?

So the only reason I consider the GTX1650 SUPER is that it is the cheapest card from Nvidia which has the new NVENC Engine, which probably won't be used, but I would like the option to. The AMD RX 550 or 560 also have Hardware Encoding units, but I didn't found much information on how good they are.

I would be grateful for your feedback and suggestions.

Thanks

lal12

Drop the cpu down to a 3600, get a b505

mobo, but the cheapest 1660 for nvenc, good quality 450w psu. 

14 minutes ago, gloop said:

but the cheapest 1660 for nvenc

No you are correct about non SUPER models, where the 1650 only had the old Volta NVENC and not the new Turing one. But the 1650 SUPER has the new Turing NVENC.

22 minutes ago, gloop said:

Drop the cpu down to a 3600, get a b505

mobo, but the cheapest 1660 for nvenc, good quality 450w psu. 

Thanks I think I might choose a cheaper mainboard, if I find something with enough slots for the same/lower price. The MSI X470 GAMING PLUS MAX seems to be price reduced for currently 120€.

Yeah 450-500W PSU is probably better.

26 minutes ago, YT_DomDaBomb20 said:

Looks good, still thinking about going ATX for more expandability, but this is obviously not a performance issue.

Though are you sure about the Ryzen 5 1600? For NVENC probably fine, but also for Software Encoding?

13 minutes ago, lal12 said:

Looks good, still thinking about going ATX for more expandability, but this is obviously not a performance issue.

Though are you sure about the Ryzen 5 1600? For NVENC probably fine, but also for Software Encoding?

It’s basically a 2600, it’s a 1600af, so it uses zen + architecture