Scythe Ninja 5 + Dune Pro Case = Case Fans Only?

MaxxuM

I've pre-ordered the Dune Pro case and I'd like the build to be as clean and quiet as possible. I'd rather not go water due to the weight. It looks like a large heatsink will fit snugly in there with the HD sled. The air flow looks good with 3x case fans in the front and 1x in the back.

Anyone want to chime in on using a large heat sink with just case fans? The Dune Pro is kinda unique as the air flow can be funneled right into the heat sink then pulled out by the rear case fan.

Thanks for any tips or ideas.

• 4 weeks later...

following this - Have had mine on order since November and also planning (not started actual planning yet due to the delays) a really similar config for cooling

On 7/15/2020 at 1:00 AM, narrdarr said:

So you want to run the cooler passively?

Yeah, basically. There will be 3+1 fans in the front and two in the rear. I think there will be about 3.5" of space between fans and the hard drive sled. The sled will have one fan in the front (case front) and one at the rear of the sled about 3.5" from CPU heat sink. Then there will be another 80mm fan behind the CPU heat sink pushing air out.

12 hours ago, narrdarr said:

What cpu are you trying to cool like this?

AMD 3700X ... so it runs a little on the hot side but well within tolerances. I just posted with another issue if you want to see what hardware is going in there and the trouble I'm having right now.

I think the ninja 5 should work for you. BTW the fans are designed for only a max speed of 800rpm. Its already a very quiet fan plus the cap on the fans speed. So i wouldn't expect much noise if any.

I have heard people using previous ninja models passively too.

Have you considered that fact that with the fans on the cooler would allow a lower rpm on the case fans may equal less noise in total.

Some other cooler that are design for passive cooling design for 95w TDP. fan maybe needed for higher thermals.

SST-HE02-V2

NoFan CR-95C

Both cooler will fit your case.

39 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

I think the ninja 5 should work for you. BTW the fans are designed for only a max speed of 800rpm. Its already a very quiet fan plus the cap on the fans speed. So i wouldn't expect much noise if any.

I have heard people using previous ninja models passively too.

Have you considered that fact that with the fans on the cooler would allow a lower rpm on the case fans may equal less noise in total.

Some other cooler that are design for passive cooling design for 95w TDP. fan maybe needed for higher thermals.

SST-HE02-V2

NoFan CR-95C

Both cooler will fit your case.

Quiet isn't actually my first concern. I actually don't care that much as long as it doesn't sound like a wind tunnel on my desk. I have tinnitus and some hearing loss due to Iraq combat. I really want a clean looking interior. Like absolutely noting sticking out. I'm getting braided wires cut exactly the length needed for everything and custom gray/black acrylic wire spreaders for GPU... So, if you look into the case you shouldn't be able to see any obvious fans except the two in the rear, but they'll be ultra thin models.

I'm encouraged that you say people are running these coolers without fans. That gives me hope. I just don't want to waste money trying fan after fan until I get one that works.

Is there another fan maybe smaller that works just as well or better?

EDIT: It would have to be black or gray/black too.

On 7/20/2020 at 9:59 PM, MaxxuM said:

Quiet isn't actually my first concern. I actually don't care that much as long as it doesn't sound like a wind tunnel on my desk. I have tinnitus and some hearing loss due to Iraq combat. I really want a clean looking interior. Like absolutely noting sticking out. I'm getting braided wires cut exactly the length needed for everything and custom gray/black acrylic wire spreaders for GPU... So, if you look into the case you shouldn't be able to see any obvious fans except the two in the rear, but they'll be ultra thin models.

I'm encouraged that you say people are running these coolers without fans. That gives me hope. I just don't want to waste money trying fan after fan until I get one that works.

Is there another fan maybe smaller that works just as well or better?

EDIT: It would have to be black or gray/black too.

Sorry to hear that( no pun intended)

Thank you for your services

those fan a pretty solid.

Are you asking for the case? would recommend static pressure fans as the are the best for pushing or pulling air through obstructions. like heatsinks.

if you want 3 in the front means your going to need 120mm

the rear supports 80mm's those are got to be tricky to find

there are some exception, but usually the smaller the louder but more pressure you can have till you get to small and the larger the less noise you can have. 120mm and 140mm are so popular because they provide the best of both worlds.

There are going to be several good options

120mm

scythe

Kaze Flex 120 PWM

Grand Flex 120 PWM, but max rpm is also higher

Thermalright has many great options

TL-R12-A

COUGAR

COUGAR Vortex might not like these but...

Phanteks

PH-F120SP

Noctua

NF-P12 redux

NF-S12A PWM chromax

Bequiet

Silent Wings 3 120mm PWM

80mm

the only ones that come to mind are

Noctua

NF-R8 redux

NF-A8 PWM chromax

I don't like to recommend Noctua mainly because everyone screams about Noctua and there are lot of good or better out there depending on the use case.

But, in this use case if you want things to be matchy matchy is would be a great way to go.