Odd temps.

So I have a 2nd PC I'm building

Ryzen 7 3800x, with a NZXT Z63.

I've noticed that the temps are really... sporadic.... They flucacte between 15 degrees up and down constantly when nothing at all is going on. Maybe 5% cpu usage between all the apps that are running. And it seems like no matter how high I turn the curve to try and get stable temps that idle at 1-2 degrees, nothing works. The GPU on the other hand is fine, it sits at about 34C on idle.

Here's a video I took, also, be aware that the temps are in F in the software.

CAM cannot report proper values. Use Ryzen Master and HWiNFO as they are the only functional utilities that can track Zen.

Also, variation is normal. You never have a fixed idle because Windows has close to two thousand background tasks constantly running

Well I can confirm with Ryzen Master the temps seem more stable. Sort of useless for CAM to have that feature. Ryzen Master is showing temps between 42-44C, whereas CAM is reporting 50. That's a hell of a difference. I assume because they both read different sensors.

I don't remember if it was HWINFO or another app, but I had a way to place widgets in the task next to the clock that actively displayed the temps there.

Not all temps are odd, I've also seen some even temperatures in your video.

The CPU is switching between different power states several times per second. Because of this, power consumption and temperatures on "idle" state are somewhat erratic. Use something like Prime95 to check your temps under full load.

1 minute ago, oort said:

Ryzen Master is showing temps between 42-44C, whereas CAM is reporting 50. That's a hell of a difference. I assume because they both read different sensors.

Ryzen master and hwinfo64 are the only correct software's that can monitor ryzen temps 

And ryzen is super inconsistent in idle temps so no worries there

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

Ryzen master and hwinfo64 are the only correct software's that can monitor ryzen temps 

And ryzen is super inconsistent in idle temps so no worries there

Sounds good. Ryzen Master shows it sticking at around 42-44 which is a lot better than 50 on idle. And that's with the radiator fans at 50% so I don't get the fans ramped up all the time. That's a lot more acceptable. I guess the CAM software is next to useless unless you want to put some stupid animated GIF on it.

Wonder how accurate the GPU temps are. It seems to sit at around 35C.

1 minute ago, oort said:

I guess the CAM software is next to useless unless you want to put some stupid animated GIF on it.

Always has been

A poorly coded software

1 minute ago, oort said:

Wonder how accurate the GPU temps are. It seems to sit at around 35C.

GPU temps are fine 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

6 minutes ago, oort said:

Well I can confirm with Ryzen Master the temps seem more stable. Sort of useless for CAM to have that feature. Ryzen Master is showing temps between 42-44C, whereas CAM is reporting 50. That's a hell of a difference. I assume because they both read different sensors.

I don't remember if it was HWINFO or another app, but I had a way to place widgets in the task next to the clock that actively displayed the temps there.

CAM is just busted. It's not reading anything, it's making up random numbers

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Well, let's hope it's performance for cooling is actually better than the developer's at writing the software. 

Also, you guys know / remember which software allows for you to dock your GPU / CPU / Fan RPM temps in your task next to your clock? I forget which software, or if it was HW. It was a simple widget that just displayed the digits and was pretty damn handy for my Ryzen 5 2600. But I did a format on that drive, so now I can't locate it.

Well I found out I was using MSI afterburner. However, I also ditched that R9 390 card for a ASUS Strix 2070s in this machine.

29 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Nah, AMD explained the issue when Zen 2 released. Intel & Zen 1/+ CPUs always reported sensor temps at x polling rate (don't remember the actual value sorry) but for Zen 2 AMD decreased that polling rate. This issue comes from apps which have the polling rate hardcoded into them, some apps apparently work by sitting and waiting for the sensor to send data then they update once the data is displayed but lots have the expected polling rate hard coded so every x ms they will ask the sensor for new data which is a problem since Zen 2 sends that data at a slower rate. According to AMD its not actually a false reading, what's happening is the app is causing the CPU additional work by constantly requesting data from it which really is making the temp of the CPU higher than it should be though its still not really accurate either since there's almost always going to be a delay between the sensor poll, the data being sent and the app updating due to the polling rates being out of sync.

NZXT Cam was one of the apps they specifically called out and warned users to avoid, there was a few more they said also do the same thing.

Edit - Also forgot to mention that these apps will also prevent Zen 2 from parking cores in the way its supposed to since they're constantly asking the CPU for information which further exacerbates the temp issues, especially at idle.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

So I guess here's the question. Since I have CAM, if I turn off the monitors for the CPU temps; does that stop the polling to the CPU? I mean obviously it's a $250 AIO i'd like to at least get a year out of and not waste because it does seem to cool well; it's just the software that is the issue here.

Because obviously with CAM, you have the option to display CPU, GPU, and then some cosmetic crap like animated gifs, yadda yadda. If I set the display to show an animated gif, or just the GPU temps, or hell, even the temp of the liquid, does that stop the polling to the CPU? Because then I'll just allow HWinfo to give me the cpu temps when I need them.