Missing capacity on ssd

intelisfornoobs

I have two 960gb SanDisk SSD's and when I format both of them, the capacity is only 500gb. Disk management shows that the drives only have 500gb with no unallocated space to be seen. Same issue on both identicle drives. What's up? Pls help

What are the drives (genuine sandisk or wish specials?) ? Can you do a screen grab of disk manager? What do they report as in crystal disk info? 

Download MIniTool Partition Wizard. Then resize (using that program) your partition a little (shrink it by 1GB for example). Apply. Then check.

Before formatting, did you partition them? Were they bought new?

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

19 minutes ago, porina said:

Before formatting, did you partition them? Were they bought new?

I actually found them in an upgraded server that was running an i5-4000 series cpu. On that machine they both reported as 500gb

Windows reported that one of the drives needed to be repaired, I ran the tool and now one of the drives formats to 800gb

28 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Download MIniTool Partition Wizard. Then resize (using that program) your partition a little (shrink it by 1GB for example). Apply. Then check.

I'll try it

42 minutes ago, CynicalTeacher said:

What are the drives (genuine sandisk or wish specials?) ? Can you do a screen grab of disk manager? What do they report as in crystal disk info? 

They are genuine drives of course

Disk.PNG

DiskManage.PNG

9 minutes ago, intelisfornoobs said:

I actually found them in an upgraded server that was running an i5-4000 series cpu. On that machine they both reported as 500gb

Sounds like whoever used them before had over-provisioned them. By limiting the capacity below the maximum available, the drives may perform better in some circumstances. 

Best thing to do is to delete all partitions on them (some may be hidden) and create a new partition of the whole space. 

From your last screenshot, 894GiB = 960GB, but Windows displays GiB as GB. Anyway, that appears to be the correct capacity.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

46 minutes ago, CynicalTeacher said:

Windows reported that the drives had issues and directed me to control panel where it ran diagnostics and fixed it!

Here is the same info for the second drive, I beleive that the capacity is coming up as 860gb instead of 960 because CrystalDisk reports each drive as having 100gb for NAND flash? Not sure what's up with it.

100gb NAND..PNG

Disk2.PNG

DiskManage2.PNG

4 minutes ago, porina said:

Sounds like whoever used them before had over-provisioned them. By limiting the capacity below the maximum available, the drives may perform better in some circumstances. 

Best thing to do is to delete all partitions on them (some may be hidden) and create a new partition of the whole space. 

From your last screenshot, 894GiB = 960GB, but Windows displays GiB as GB. Anyway, that appears to be the correct capacity.

Yep, it seems like after a little bit of fiddling, windows fixed them itself