Ryzen 7 3700X Poor performance due to RAM?

Go to solution Solved by MiiaBestLamia,

Okay, after mucking around in the BIOS settings and nothing changing, i tried out the AMD Ryzen Master app, using Auto Overlocking made my clock speed go up to an average of 4.2, maximum 4.35, which I'm a-okay with. Windows strangely reports that my clock speed is always 3.2 now, though that's definitely wrong, especially since Ryzen Master and HWMonitor report the same speeds, and the rating has gone up as well.

Thanks for the help!

Hello!
I was wondering, is the relatively poor performance of my new Ryzen 7 3700X due to my outdated RAM?
This link leads to my Userbenchmark run which was done after making sure that my BIOS is up to date (version 3004 on my ROG B450-E Gaming, which is the latest), updating my chipset (which improved the performance by about 2%) and making sure that i have the most recent Windows 10 version, which I do.
I have the stock cooler for the CPU, had some trouble applying it (had no experience with this "hook" type cooler), but the thermals are fine, 50 Celsius idle, around 65 under load (during Userbenchmark run), which seemed to me like a lot, but supposedly that's a-okay for 3rd gen Ryzen CPU's, using an RM550X Corsair PSU.

I have 3 monitors, 4k, 1440p and 1680x1050, though i don't think that has any influence over my CPU.
Watched this Linus video, where a 3600MHz kit is recommended for 3rd gen CPU's, so i reckon I'm gonna have to order some RAM (open for recommendations), but I'd like to see what someone else thinks could be the problem.

The performance of my previous CPU, Ryzen 5 2600X, was fairly alright, it was performing as expected: link

Thank you for your time!

1 minute ago, MiiaBestLamia said:

Hello!
I was wondering, is the relatively poor performance of my new Ryzen 7 3700X due to my outdated RAM?
This link leads to my Userbenchmark run which was done after making sure that my BIOS is up to date (version 3004 on my ROG B450-E Gaming, which is the latest), updating my chipset (which improved the performance by about 2%) and making sure that i have the most recent Windows 10 version, which I do.
I have the stock cooler for the CPU, had some trouble applying it (had no experience with this "hook" type cooler), but the thermals are fine, 50 Celsius idle, around 65 under load (during Userbenchmark run), which seemed to me like a lot, but supposedly that's a-okay for 3rd gen Ryzen CPU's, using an RM550X Corsair PSU.

I have 3 monitors, 4k, 1440p and 1680x1050, though i don't think that has any influence over my CPU.
Watched this Linus video, where a 3600MHz kit is recommended for 3rd gen CPU's, so i reckon I'm gonna have to order some RAM (open for recommendations), but I'd like to see what someone else thinks could be the problem.

The performance of my Ryzen 5 2600X was fairly alright, it was performing as expected: link

Thank you for your time!

It's likely due to the DIMM's running at 2133 MT/s.You'll want to turn on XMP/DOCP and set to 3000 MT/s, rather than trying to upgrade.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

8 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

It's likely due to the DIMM's running at 2133 MT/s.You'll want to turn on XMP/DOCP and set to 3000 MT/s, rather than trying to upgrade.

Okay, i turned on DOCP, which made my RAM rating approximately 10% better than before, though my CPU performance actually went down. Most recent run: link
CPU-Z rates my CPU poorly as well, link, though the RAM Frequency there is 1500MHz.

12 minutes ago, gloop said:

3000mhz cl16 is still fine for Rey zen, you should see max a 5-10fps increase. If you do want, you can manually oc it using thaiphoon and dram calculator. 

So you think that RAM isn't the problem in my case? Any clue what else could be impacting my performance? Not gonna muck around with OCing, even though this RAM is old, i don't want to accidentally murder it just yet.

3 minutes ago, MiiaBestLamia said:

RAM Frequency there is 1500MHz

Ok, that means XMP is on, that should give you a small boost

monitor temps during load

maube try dduingn the GPU drivers and re-installing them. 

2 minutes ago, MiiaBestLamia said:

So you think that RAM isn't the problem in my case? Any clue what else could be impacting my performance? Not gonna muck around with OCing, even though this RAM is old, i don't want to accidentally murder it just yet.

8 minutes ago, MiiaBestLamia said:

CPU-Z rates my CPU poorly as well, link, though the RAM Frequency there is 1500MHz.

DDR stands for (Double Data Rate)
So 3000mhz = 1500mhz

34 minutes ago, MiiaBestLamia said:

poor performance

I see you have difference how much Ryzen 7 3700X is boosting.
Earlier bench said 3.9ghz and later one 3.8ghz.

Ryzen 7 3700X can boost to 4.4ghz in the best scenario.
To achieve that, or something closer to that direction, it might need third party cooler.

The hotter it gets the less it boosts.

15 minutes ago, gloop said:

Ok, that means XMP is on, that should give you a small boost

monitor temps during load

maube try dduingn the GPU drivers and re-installing them. 

Did a stress test for about 5 minutes, the CPU didn't go further than 65 celsius, speed was 3.78GHz on 99% utilization, so thermal throttling shouldn't be the issue.

2 minutes ago, kamiraasu said:

I see you have difference how much Ryzen 7 3700X is boosting.
Earlier bench said 3.9ghz and later one 3.8ghz.

Ryzen 7 3700X can boost to 4.4ghz in the best scenario.
To achieve that, or something closer to that direction, it might need third party cooler.

The hotter it gets the less it boosts.

Yeah, might have something to do with the AI Overclock. During 99% utilization the temps were fine, 65 celsius seems pretty good to me, so I don't think it's thermal throttling.

Might be that your ryzen sees that
bench too puny to give it more juice :]

EDIT:
Anyway, i think your system is looking healthy, just not boosting for the bench for reason x.

Okay, after mucking around in the BIOS settings and nothing changing, i tried out the AMD Ryzen Master app, using Auto Overlocking made my clock speed go up to an average of 4.2, maximum 4.35, which I'm a-okay with. Windows strangely reports that my clock speed is always 3.2 now, though that's definitely wrong, especially since Ryzen Master and HWMonitor report the same speeds, and the rating has gone up as well.

Thanks for the help!

3 hours ago, kamiraasu said:

Might be that your ryzen sees that
bench too puny to give it more juice :]

EDIT:
Anyway, i think your system is looking healthy, just not boosting for the bench for reason x.

This ^^^. I'd really suspect it is a thermal or PPT limit holding back the turbo, as the higher fabric clock does tend to use more power (thus limiting a power limited chip more) I'm not sure what the Ryzen Master autoOC is like for Zen2, but it may have lifted some of these limits for you. IMHO you shouldn't need to OC to hit average performance, but raising power limits (with a good mobo) is pretty typical. 

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64