Whats a good RPM to set my 6 fans to?

StunnaFan

I use Corsair iCUE so id like to set my RPM through that. Im asking this because I want to set the RPM as low as possible so I dont hear the fans through my headset without overheating.

3 minutes ago, StunnaFan said:

I use Corsair iCUE so id like to set my RPM through that. Im asking this because I want to set the RPM as low as possible so I dont hear the fans through my headset without overheating.

That number is going to be based on the diameter of the fans and the shape of the blades.  For 120 mm fans it used to be somewhere around but usually above 800rpm.  For 140mm fans it was more like 500 than 800. It sounds easy enough to test.  They’re your ears after all.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

For 120mm fans I like to have them around 1200 rpm. The ones I have are not too loud and get the job done (Noise is noticeable, but my headphones cancel it out when I'm playing).

Edit: This was for a 3 fan set up, so you can probably get away with a lower RPM for 6 fans

5 minutes ago, Fluvous said:

For 120mm fans I like to have them around 1200 rpm. The ones I have are not too loud and get the job done (Noise is noticeable, but my headphones cancel it out when I'm playing).

Edit: This was for a 3 fan set up, so you can probably get away with a lower RPM for 6 fans

thank you ill try 900 RPM since I have 6 fans

10 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That number is going to be based on the diameter of the fans and the shape of the blades.  For 120 mm fans it used to be somewhere around but usually above 800rpm.  For 140mm fans it was more like 500 than 800. It sounds easy enough to test.  They’re your ears after all.

true thank you. Ill try 900 RPM

5 minutes ago, StunnaFan said:

true thank you. Ill try 900 RPM

Play around with it.  Check your temps.  The deal is fan noise is not completely linear with rpm.  There’s a drop off at the low end.  There’s a point below a certain level where a fan makes almost no noise at all.  It’s based on the speed of the tip of the blade.  This is why smaller fans can spin faster and still avoid it.  It’s possible that effectively silent speeds won’t push enough air for you.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

it depends on the case and fans. 120mm fans should be pretty quiet up to 1000rpm. I'd bet that you won't hear them up to 1200 with a headset, unless the case is very restrictive, or something in there resonates with that rpm. 

My R2700XT build:  r7 2700 @4.1 Ghz max 65C - Sapphire Pulse rx 5700xt @1625Mhz 955mV 1300rpm fans, max 82C - Asrock B450 gaming k4 - Gskill Ripjaws 2x8GB @3200mhz CL16 - Be Quiet Straight Power E11 650w - Fractal Meshify C - EK-Kit S240 - NB eLoop 120mm PWM - Be Quiet Shadow Wings 140mm 1000rpm - Bitfenix Spectre LED PWM 120mm - Samsung 250GB 860 Evo - Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Peripherals:  Acer XF270HBbmiiprzx 144hz 1080p TN - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Coolermaster MK750 - CM Storm Reaper - Logitech G303 - Logitech G502 - Logitech G603

Audio:  Hyperx Cloud Stinger - Samson SR850 - Trust Screamer - Creative Gigaworks T20 II