Lenovo Case USB connectors

ItsTrashPanda

Hello I am helping a friend build a computer but I had a problem with the case. I had an old Lenovo Thinkstation e32 that I wasn't using and decided to use its case for the project. When I was unplugging cables from the old mobo I thought things seemed odd butt ignored it until I installed everything and realized the Front panel usb cable was very different from the normal 20 pin that you see most of the time. I would like to make this part of the case work for him so is there an adapter that exists or maybe something to help make it work with the new motherboard.

28 minutes ago, TrashPanda30 said:

Hello I am helping a friend build a computer but I had a problem with the case. I had an old Lenovo Thinkstation e32 that I wasn't using and decided to use its case for the project. When I was unplugging cables from the old mobo I thought things seemed odd butt ignored it until I installed everything and realized the Front panel usb cable was very different from the normal 20 pin that you see most of the time. I would like to make this part of the case work for him so is there an adapter that exists or maybe something to help make it work with the new motherboard.

So possible Proprietary usb front panel cable? What does it look like? And what do you want it to connect to?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Unfortunately problems like the one that you describe are very problematic because the cases they use are most likely proprietary.  You would be very lucky to find a device as you describe since the only place that would likely have such an adapter would be Lenovo.  Might want to wait until Monday after the weekend is over and then give their support staff a phone call.  Good Luck and have a safe weekend.

3 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Unfortunately problems like the one that you describe are very problematic because the cases they use are most likely proprietary.  You would be very lucky to find a device as you describe since the only place that would likely have such an adapter would be Lenovo.  Might want to wait until Monday after the weekend is over and then give their support staff a phone call.  Good Luck and have a safe weekend.

Yah.  Only hope I think is he’s wrong about the cable being proprietary.  S’why I wanted pix.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Yea, making things proprietary only serves one purpose.  And that is to ensure that if the consumer wants to make any changes that he has to go back to the manufacturer.  Sort of a guaranteed self-employment.  Bummer.