I want to learn C++

Guest PhatRATTY
Go to solution Solved by Slottr,
Just now, PhatRATTY said:

I did do scratch and I got stupid good at it, lol! I kinda want to go straight to C++ tho. 

You'll have a horrible time, but go for it. You'll definitely be very lost on a LOT of principles by jumping into something like C

This is a good resource:

The C++ Programming Language (4th Edition) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/0321563840/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_VsO4Eb6J40416

Incredibly boring though

Just now, Nano Adam said:

True. C# has the advantage of it being tied with Windows, so creating a GUI wont be extremely hard. And as you said Unity, would be great! 

All this depends on what type of learner the OP is. 

Not to toot my own horn but I have autism which greatly increases my learning. Whenever my school has to do an IEP and they have to do IQ tests and whatnot everyone gets really confused. When I'm not severely depressed I can do just about anything I put my mind to. The reason I want to jump straight to C++ is because I honestly think anything else would be just way to boring for me. Thanks for the book and the youtube channel will check back into this sub forum if I need any help with my experience. Cheers!

5 minutes ago, PhatRATTY said:

Not to toot my own horn but I have autism which greatly increases my learning. Whenever my school has to do an IEP and they have to do IQ tests and whatnot everyone gets really confused. When I'm not severely depressed I can do just about anything I put my mind to. The reason I want to jump straight to C++ is because I honestly think anything else would be just way to boring for me. Thanks for the book and the youtube channel will check back into this sub forum if I need any help with my experience. Cheers!

Yea! Definately checkout the Caleb Curry C++ tutorial. And see where your strengths are. If you are confused, then try JavaScript Game Dev all that! 

Just now, Nano Adam said:

Yea! Definately checkout the Caleb Curry C++ tutorial. And see where your strengths are. If you are confused, then try JavaScript Game Dev all that! 

Thanks for the advise!

C++ is a very unforgiving language -- it'll do exactly what you type in the most basic way possible, and nothing more, and if something is wrong, it'll crash out or fail to compile. That said, that can make it a great language to learn, because it forces you to go through every step of the process manually and double-check yourself thoroughly, leading to good programming habits. I started on C++ with my dad when I was younger and was admittedly kinda lost for a while, but I think it's helped me in the long run.

3 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

C++ is a very unforgiving language -- it'll do exactly what you type in the most basic way possible, and nothing more, and if something is wrong, it'll crash out or fail to compile. That said, that can make it a great language to learn, because it forces you to go through every step of the process manually and double-check yourself thoroughly, leading to good programming habits. I started on C++ with my dad when I was younger and was admittedly kinda lost for a while, but I think it's helped me in the long run.

Thnx im going to close this thing now.

• 2 weeks later...

Contrary to what a lot of people seem to be saying, I think C++ is a fine place to start if you really want get into programming in the long term. It certainly has a steeper learning curve than some languages, but you will gain a much more foundational understanding of basic programming techniques, principles, and conventions. If you are completely new to coding I can suggest the free online Harvard course called CS50, which contains introductory material to C++, as well as some other languages. 

Good Luck!