Upgrading my CPU

So I'm looking to upgrade my CPU. It used to be fine, and when I got it it was exactly what I needed, but now it's starting to feel a bit old and slow. I have an AMD FX-6350 six core processor with 6 threads at 3.9 GHz, and even running games like CS:GO puts my CPU usage to 80/90%, sometimes higher, even if I close other apps that I wouldn't be using causing me to have significant frame drops, even when I put all settings to low and medium. So I'm wanting to upgrade, especially since streaming or recording most games is not really possible at the moment, and that's what I intend to do. Problem is, I don't know what to upgrade to.

My PC isn't very future-proof;

• I have an asus M5A78L-M Plus/USB3 motherboard,
  • Four, 4GB DDR3 RAM sticks,
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
  • and I'm not sure about my power supply

I'm not big with computers, I don't understand most of how they work, but from what I've gathered, in order for me to get a new CPU that would make much of a difference, I'd need a new motherboard that will be compatible with it. And along with a new motherboard, I'd need to get DDR4 RAM, because most motherboards aren't backwards compatible with DDR3. And then, on top of that, I might even need a new power supply because all my components would be demanding more power.

TLDR I want a new CPU, but I don't want to spend all of my money on essentially buying a new PC by replacing almost everything I have. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Edit: if there is no way around it, and the only options I would have for not replacing everything is to get a mildly better CPU without much improvement, I would also appreciate suggestions to new hardware that I can repace what I have with without causing myself to go bankrupt.

4 minutes ago, EzekielGMG said:

I don't want to spend all of my money on essentially buying a new PC by replacing almost everything I have.

Well, how much do you consider "everything you have?" A ryzen 3 3100 or 3300X with a cheap B450 motherboard and some DDR4 3000 is a pretty significant upgrade, and it wouldn't break the bank, but you will be doing a motherboard swap if you want a proper performance boost.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

10 minutes ago, EzekielGMG said:

TLDR I want a new CPU, but I don't want to spend all of my money on essentially buying a new PC by replacing almost everything I have. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

A 3100 with a b450 pro4 is a "cheap" good option 

I don't know your budget (sorry if I missed it) but that id a pretty nice combo paired with an aegis kit from gskill that would be a nice pair 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

7 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Well, how much do you consider "everything you have?" 

Sorry, I should've specified. I'm willing to spend a decent amount of money, anywhere from £400 - £500, or maybe a little more, but cheaper, future-proof options would be nice. As I said, I don't really know what I'm talking about, but thanks for the help.

Edit: I'd rather not spend that much money just to clarify, but thats as high as I would spend with upgrading everything

Edited by EzekielGMG

1 minute ago, EzekielGMG said:

from £400 - £500

Is this the amount your willing to spend or is it all of your money?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Is this the amount your willing to spend or is it all of your money?

How much I'm willing to spend. But cheaper would be better, obviously. I'd just like a good performance boost.

£400-£500 is the most I would spend as like a last resort, but if I'd see better performance that'd be worth the extra money I'll take it.

6 minutes ago, EzekielGMG said:

Sorry, I should've specified. I'm willing to spend a decent amount of money, anywhere from £400 - £500, or maybe a little more, but cheaper, future-proof options would be nice. As I said, I don't really know what I'm talking about, but thanks for the help.

Edit: I'd rather not spend that much money just to clarify, but thats as high as I would spend with upgrading everything

Here's a cheap and good option. Cpu is nice and fast, motherboard has a good VRM to support future upgrades, ram is decently fast:

Spoiler
PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 3 3100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor £95.99 @ CCL Computers
Motherboard MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard £89.99 @ CCL Computers
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory £69.12 @ Amazon UK
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total £255.10
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-10 13:42 BST+0100  

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, EzekielGMG said:

How much I'm willing to spend. But cheaper would be better, obviously. I'd just like a good performance boost.

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor £157.06 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard MSI B450M MORTAR MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard £95.99 @ Amazon UK
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory £106.73 @ Newegg UK
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total £359.78
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-10 13:42 BST+0100  

This would go great with each other 

Build Log: 

Alright, thanks for the help @TofuHaroto and @Fasauceome !
One last thing, do I have much to worry about power supply wise? As I said, I'm not sure about what my power supply is, so I don't know how much power it can distribute. 

Just now, EzekielGMG said:

As I said, I'm not sure about what my power supply is, so I don't know how much power it can distribute. 

Can you maybe send a picture 

It could be a decent PSU and it could be a bad one 

Build Log: 

5 minutes ago, EzekielGMG said:

Alright, thanks for the help @TofuHaroto and @Fasauceome !
One last thing, do I have much to worry about power supply wise? As I said, I'm not sure about what my power supply is, so I don't know how much power it can distribute. 

Ryzen CPUs are more power efficient than FX CPUs so you are definitely reducing the load which is good, but a bad power supply is not something you want to pair with good components. Since our lists save you so much money, you should definitely get a nice budget PSU as well.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/b37v6h/be-quiet-system-power-9-500-w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-bn246

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

This PSU is decent 

Also have a look at a cx550 or a MWE gold of bronze 

Build Log: 

10 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Can you maybe send a picture 

I can't get into my PC at the moment, but I've had a good look at it before and it says nothing useful on it; it has a sticker on the front bottom left, but I would've remembered if it had something useful on it I cant check what it says at the moment. The only thing I know is that it is either a micro atx or atx psu.

1 minute ago, EzekielGMG said:

moment. The only thing I know is that it is either a micro atx or atx psu, with no fans on it, and it has 4 screws on the top.

Well then I recommend getting a new PSU 

Don't risk it especially when it comes to the PSU 

5 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

This PSU is decent 

You can also have a look at a cx550 (although availability for it is not that good ) or a MWE bronze or gold 

Build Log: 

6 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Ryzen CPUs are more power efficient than FX CPUs so you are definitely reducing the load which is good, but a bad power supply is not something you want to pair with good components. Since our lists save you so much money, you should definitely get a nice budget PSU as well.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/b37v6h/be-quiet-system-power-9-500-w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-bn246

Alright, I might just get a new PSU anyway just to be safe. Thanks!

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

Well then I recommend getting a new PSU 

Don't risk it especially when it comes to the PSU 

This PSU is decent 

You can also have a look at a cx550 (although availability for it is not that good ) or a MWE bronze or gold 

Will do, thanks for the help!