help me choose a motherboard for ryzen 5 3600

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
16 minutes ago, Dimondminer11 said:

You could probably even get away with something like a 2700 on a board like that and still be fine.

It'll be so power limited and likely throttle, never reach potential boosts and eventually burn the VRMs. 

You want to know the capability in current (Amps) the board is capable of before making a suggestion like that.

So the B450M-A (I actually have one) is 50a capable. No good.

The B450 Gaming X is 75a OK for 3600

B450 Arous M is also 75a OK for 3600

None ok for Flagship Zen+

There is currently a shortage of motherboards in my country so I have limited options. I looked up for the bullzoid / gamers nexus b450 motherboard roundup and the only one that is available for me to buy is the AORUS B450 M, that being said its the bottom tier the "it could be worse" according to this review 27:45

its important to mention that in my country the motherboard prices are basically double or more the US price , for the aorus board the price is around 150$. Im also on a tight budget 😅.

My other available options to buy are the following:

ASUS prime B450m-A at like 115$

Gigabyte B450 Gaming X at 150$

I'm worried for the vrms  throttling due to bad cooling, the reviewers mention that that would happen with a ryzen 9 and ofc I have a ryzen 5 but I dont know how will it work with the r5 3600.

Would it affect the all core boost performance on sustained loads?

the aorus is my go to option because of the review that doesnt mention the other boards and for the troubleshooting leds, Q-flash and dual bios

4 minutes ago, zedsdeath said:

There is currently a shortage of motherboards in my country so I have limited options. I looked up for the bullzoid / gamers nexus b450 motherboard roundup and the only one that is available for me to buy is the AORUS B450 M, that being said its the bottom tier the "it could be worse" according to this review 27:45

its important to mention that in my country the motherboard prices are basically double or more the US price , for the aorus board the price is around 150$. Im also on a tight budget 😅.

My other available options to buy are the following:

ASUS prime B450m-A at like 115$

Gigabyte B450 Gaming X at 150$

I'm worried for the vrms  throttling due to bad cooling, the reviewers mention that that would happen with a ryzen 9 and ofc I have a ryzen 5 but I dont know how will it work with the r5 3600.

Would it affect the all core boost performance on sustained loads?

the aorus is my go to option because of the review that doesnt mention the other boards and for the troubleshooting leds, Q-flash and dual bios

Well if you use the stock cooler it will shoot air over the vrms to help with cooling some and the 3600 is a 65 watt tdp chip so you should be good there. You could probably even get away with something like a 2700 on a board like that and still be fine.

14 minutes ago, Dimondminer11 said:

Well if you use the stock cooler it will shoot air over the vrms to help with cooling some and the 3600 is a 65 watt tdp chip so you should be good there. You could probably even get away with something like a 2700 on a board like that and still be fine.

thats the thing, I would use a hyper 212x or a corsair AIO since I have both lying around would it be fine still?

16 minutes ago, Dimondminer11 said:

You could probably even get away with something like a 2700 on a board like that and still be fine.

It'll be so power limited and likely throttle, never reach potential boosts and eventually burn the VRMs. 

You want to know the capability in current (Amps) the board is capable of before making a suggestion like that.

1 hour ago, Dimondminer11 said:

The prime A ?!

No absolutely not 

50 amps 

No heat sink 

2 stage and 4phase 

Not good 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

10 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

where did you find out how many amps are capable? . thanks btw

8 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

The prime A ?!

No absolutely not 

50 amps 

No heat sink 

2 stage and 4phase 

Not good 

to both of you that I quoted, if both ryzen 5 3600 and ryzen 7 2700 are both rated for 65w TDP how do you know how it will perform? I mean what I get is that one is 8 core with older manufacturing process/architecture but if tdp is the same which spec can I use to determine that? vcore or something like that?

would it be worth it performance wise to save a little bit more and buy the ASUS prime x570p at 240$ ? that is available too but I figured I didnt need the features of x570 (it has a much better vrm though)

Just now, zedsdeath said:

but if tdp is the same which spec can I use to determine that?

usually its not

Just now, zedsdeath said:

o both of you that I quoted, if both ryzen 5 3600 and ryzen 7 2700 are both rated for 65w TDP how do you know how it will perform?

over all quite badly 

vrms will overheat and its bad value really 

1 minute ago, zedsdeath said:

and buy the ASUS prime x570p at 240$

no something like a tomahawk max will be alot better p/p 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

I'm running a B450 Tomahawk(non-max) with bios update and a 3600.  I was able to over clock pretty well on my 2600, but the 3600 isn't taking to it as well.  Could be worse luck in the silicon lottery, could be the board is about cashed in terms of performance, but the Tomahawk is supposed to be one of the better B450 boards out there in terms of VRMs and features so you might look there.  I'm planning on a B550 when they drop and either picking up a 3700X cheaper(they're $275 at Newegg right now), or keeping the 3600 and going ham when the 4th gen drops.

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 5 3600(Stock Clock)

Cooler: EVGA CLC 280 

Motherboard: ASUS X570 TUF Gaming Plus WiFi

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC3

RAM: 32GB(2x16GB) G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600

SSD: WD Blue 3D NAND M.2 250 GB

HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB  

Case:  Fractal Design Meshify C

PSU:  Seasonic Focus 650W 80+ Gold

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!!!" --Elwood Blues

1 hour ago, zedsdeath said:

where did you find out how many amps are capable? . thanks btw

to both of you that I quoted, if both ryzen 5 3600 and ryzen 7 2700 are both rated for 65w TDP how do you know how it will perform? I mean what I get is that one is 8 core with older manufacturing process/architecture but if tdp is the same which spec can I use to determine that? vcore or something like that?

would it be worth it performance wise to save a little bit more and buy the ASUS prime x570p at 240$ ? that is available too but I figured I didnt need the features of x570 (it has a much better vrm though)

There is multiple ways, but the motherboard tier list is a good reference.

Each VRM part number if you look em up will tell you the specs also.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Each VRM part number if you look em up will tell you the specs also.

I should note

That usually msi has better vrms (in terms of quality ) and Asus as mediocre ones

Not on all of their boards but some 

Build Log: 

26 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

I should note

That usually msi has better vrms (in terms of quality ) and Asus as mediocre ones

Not on all of their boards but some 

4 phase is 4 phase. The difference between them maybe 25a at best. Quality both and on most B450 is low quality and gotta use doublers to achieve higher amp. VRM wise pretty similar.