Battery Corrosion Concerns (controllers and other items)

bradwiggo

I have a few controllers that had got left with batteries inside them, they were left in a bag full of other random stuff because I'm unorganised lol. I took them out today and they have battery corrosion, not a huge amount, but I'm a bit concerned it got on the other stuff in the bag too, and I know this stuff can be bad for your eyes and skin etc. 

I know of the vinegar thing as that neutralises it etc, and I will do that for the actual contacts in the controllers, but for the outside of the controllers and the other stuff that was in the bag, does just wiping it down with a damp cloth work to remove any corrosion that may have got on it? Or will that just mean everything is covered in a think layer of potassium hydroxide or whatever it is?

Bonus Question: Am I overthinking this and is it a case of "if the particles of corrosion are too small to see then they probably aren't dangerous for you even if they get on your eyes or skin?"

Also just realised I've been using a different controller out of that bag for a few weeks, one that wasn't corroded, but am now a bit concerned it may have had corrosion form the other controller on it. If you get this shit on yur eyes or skin, would it be immediately obvious (i.e. painful) or would you not notice? 

P.S. Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I wasn't really sure where to put it, and because it's kindof about controllers I figured this would be the best place. 

Specs: 

• i5-8600K 
  • Evga Black RTX 2070 
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 
  • ASRock Extreme 4 Z370 
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Light TG 

Plays: Minesweeper at 1000 fps. 

On 6/8/2020 at 12:09 PM, TrigrH said:

it would sting a lot if it got in your eyes, wipe it off stuff with a damp cloth.

Like would it really hurt, or just be a bit uncomfortable? I rub my eyes a lot, they often feel just like they have something in them, and it kindof "hurts" in the loosest sense of the word possible (i.e. it's really not "painful" more than just having something in your eye is), however it normally goes away after a few minutes if I don't rub my eye. I assume if you got battery stuff in your eye it wouldn't go away like that. 

Specs: 

• i5-8600K 
  • Evga Black RTX 2070 
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 
  • ASRock Extreme 4 Z370 
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Light TG 

Plays: Minesweeper at 1000 fps.