Very Strange RAM Usage Reporting In Task Manager

AdvocateOfNyx

This might be a stupid question, but I've been concerned about it lately anyways.  I've noticed some strange behavior with the RAM in my computer recently.  I've had the machine for a couple years and things seemed normal but this one is weird.

In task manager, it shows that 90% of my memory is being used while idling and doing nothing.  I have 16GB installed in my computer, so I found this pretty weird.  Originally, I had the values on percent and everything seemed to add up, but when I went over to value, things started to look really weird.  Here is an example:

Currently, in task manager it says that Microsoft Edge (the browser I'm typing this on) is using 492.6MB of memory.  I have three tabs open.  This seems pretty normal.  However, when I go over to percent, it shows that Edge is using around 30% of my memory.  Well, this doesn't make any sense, as 500MB is around half a GB, which is 1/32 of my total memory, or 3% of my RAM.  So why would it show as 30%?  I have the same problem with every other application in task manager currently.  Just to make sure that I wasn't going crazy, I opened up the "system information" page in Windows 10 and sure enough, Windows detects 16GB of physical memory, however it says I only currently have 1.39 GB available.  While this would make sense if you considered that I had the 90% memory usage in task manager, it wouldn't make sense if you took in to account that no program on my computer is using more than half a GB, and all together the programs aren't using more than 2 or 3.

Another thing that I find suspicious is that Memory is almost ALWAYS at 90%.  While my CPU, disk, and network usage fluctuate, memory sits at a steady 90% all of the time.  Anyone have any ideas?

Specs:

-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-

Have you done any malware scans? (malwarebytes, avg, adw cleaner)

What about windows updates, what build version of windows are you running?

I fix computers and computer accessories... sometimes... when I want to...

9 minutes ago, 178Sonic said:

Have you done any malware scans? (malwarebytes, avg, adw cleaner)

What about windows updates, what build version of windows are you running?

I've done the Windows Security Scan, but no third party scans.  Windows version 1909 if I remember correctly.

Edit: double checked, it is in fact 1909.

Edited by AdvocateOfNyx

-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-

what kind of applications do you have installed, any that run in the background? (f.lux, rain meter, etc)

(If you can, screen shots are good)

7 minutes ago, 178Sonic said:

what kind of applications do you have installed, any that run in the background? (f.lux, rain meter, etc)

(If you can, screen shots are good)

I do have f.lux installed, and I used to use rain meter but not any more.  Here are some screenshots from my task manager, let me know if there is anything else you need.  I had a family member that worked in IT take a look over TeamViewer quickly and he said nothing popped out at him and he wasn't sure why it was going on, so I'm hoping somebody will have an idea.

2020-06-07 16_20_08-Task Manager.png

2020-06-07 16_20_37-Task Manager.png

You said you have 16gb of ram correct? Go to the performance tab and click memory and send me a screen shot.

Thanks

4 minutes ago, 178Sonic said:

You said you have 16gb of ram correct? Go to the performance tab and click memory and send me a screen shot.

Thanks

Here you go.  It currently says that only 4GB are being used because I just restarted my PC - it usually goes down to normal for about 30 minutes to an hour after a restart, then shoots back up again.  I was asked by my relative to boot in to safe mode and see if the problem persisted, which it did not.  Attached is a screenshot of the memory performance tab showing that I do have 16GB of RAM and a picture taken showing that in safe mode I didn't have this issue.  

20200607_163106.jpg

2020-06-07 16_34_08-.png

Thanks for the tibit, if running in safe-mode stops that issue, that could mean there is a rogue process somewhere, however, this issue could be caused by a disabled virtual memory cache.

Go to advanced system settings>performance-settings>advanced>virtual memory-change

Make sure "automatically manage paging file" is enabled. Tell me if it was or was not...

Just now, 178Sonic said:

Thanks for the tibit, if running in safe-mode stops that issue, that could mean there is a rogue process somewhere, however, this issue could be caused by a disabled virtual memory cache.

Go to advanced system settings>performance-settings>advanced>virtual memory-change

Make sure "automatically manage paging file" is enabled. Tell me if it was or was not...

It is enabled.

2020-06-07 16_54_30-Virtual Memory.png

Honestly, wipe the mofo and starting over with a fresh windows 10 install sounds fine right about now.

1 minute ago, 178Sonic said:

Honestly, wipe the mofo and starting over with a fresh windows 10 install sounds fine right about now.

Yeah, seems like it may be the only option.  I guess we'll find out.  If nothing else works, that's always the last resort.