Asus P8z77-v Pro Vs Msi Z77a-gd65 Gaming

Hi Techies!

I just saw Linus' video on the MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming and instantly fell in love with it. I'm going to build a PC soonish, and the theme was going to be blue, using the Asus P8Z77-V PRO.

What do you guys think of the MSI Z77A-GD65 and also which do you think is better; and if anyone can list differences between the two?

Production Control, Fish Keeper, Lover of Audio

I think both are fine boards. I'm not sure which is better, but the Asus one has built-in wifi, while MSI doesn't, and also more USB 3.0s.

P8z77-v Pro has legacy PCI slots,12+4 Phase, almost overkill, great. I like the boards, I'd suggest them.

GD65 has all PCI-E slots. 8+4 Phase, even though theres less, this board should be decent for overclocking with the voltage readouts and reset switch. I do not think I will see it much because of it's value...

The GD65 looks good, it should be nice but the Asus has a lot more on the board. The ud5h is looking good in this price range.

Id go with the P8Z77 V Pro. I have it and im extremely happy with it! It has loads of features for the price.

My Rig- 

• CPU - Intel Core i7 3770
  • Motherboard - Asus P8Z77 V Pro
  • RAM - 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600Mhz
  • GPU - Asus GTX 660 Ti DC2 @ 1100Mhz Boost
  • PSU - Corsair HX650
  • Case - Corsair 500R White Edition
  • CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
  • Monitor - Samsung S22B370H 21.5'' 1080p
  • HDD - Seagate 1TB @ 7200rpm
  • Optical Drive - LG DVD Writer
  • Keyboard Mouse - Logitech MK200 

I have the Z77A-GD65 Gaming on pre-order, and the only reason I'm changing from my current board (Z77MA-G45) Is because my build is mainly red

though other things about the MSI is it does support the DDR3 3000MHz RAM if you really are that crazy.. :)

I look forward to getting mine

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

I would go with the P8Z77-V PRO because this has wifi and I like their Q design like Q Dimm and Q LED for diagnosing. I also like their software but their software is sometimes buggy but is very useful when it is not buggy.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I own the ASUS Z77-V PRO MoBo and I really enjoy the "Fan Expert" feature.  This board like others have said has a WI-FI card, but you can also use that card as a sort of "repeater" or wifi network extender.  I'm currently using the auto tuning feature which gives me an easy one button 4.2 MHz overclocked setting on my 3770K, more than I need...  The ASUS board is easy and comfy, all I'll ever need for now.

I own the ASUS Z77-V PRO MoBo and I really enjoy the "Fan Expert" feature.  This board like others have said has a WI-FI card, but you can also use that card as a sort of "repeater" or wifi network extender.  I'm currently using the auto tuning feature which gives me an easy one button 4.2 MHz overclocked setting on my 3770K, more than I need...  The ASUS board is easy and comfy, all I'll ever need for now.

I heard that people got random error messages but there were actually no error and temperature glitches in AI Suite 2. Just saying that this software is great most of the times and it is not 100% bugfree.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

If your budget is more constrained then go with the Z77A-GD65.  Especially if you don't need Wi-Fi.  For $5 more you can get it in Red/Black as the Gaming version and it also gets you bandwidth prioritization; otherwise both GD65 are identical.

However, if Wi-Fi is appealing to you and you have the $, then go with the ASUS.  Reliability level is about the same either way.

My Stuff:  Corsair Obisidan 550D - Phobya Nano-2G 120mm x 5 - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming - Intel 3570K - G.Skill 8GBx2 1866 - EVGA ACX GTX 780 3GB SuperClocked(Step Up to 780 Ti) - Samsung 840 500GB SSD - WD Black 1TB x 2 - LG Blu-ray - ASUS VG248QE + ASUS PB278Q - Corsair M65 with MM400 Pad - Ducky Shine II MX Brown with Gray/White Keycaps - Corsair K70 MX Red - CoolerMaster Quickfire TK MX Brown - Ducky Pro2 MX Blue with Gray PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Clears with Gray/Blue PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Browns with Light Gray and White PBT Keycaps

Personally I would go with the P8Z77-V Pro :) I've had very good luck with ASUS all these years and their Motherboards never seem to disappoint anyone that buys them. MSI's GD65 board is a good option though if you want more gaming features, which the ASUS board lacks. Plus it's cheaper

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

Asus board it is! I like the colour theme better than the MSI anyway; and the 6 fan headers will come in handy for my rig

Production Control, Fish Keeper, Lover of Audio

The Asus has more features on the board. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

Asus board it is! I like the colour theme better than the MSI anyway; and the 6 fan headers will come in handy for my rig

Good Choice!

My Rig- 

• CPU - Intel Core i7 3770
  • Motherboard - Asus P8Z77 V Pro
  • RAM - 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600Mhz
  • GPU - Asus GTX 660 Ti DC2 @ 1100Mhz Boost
  • PSU - Corsair HX650
  • Case - Corsair 500R White Edition
  • CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
  • Monitor - Samsung S22B370H 21.5'' 1080p
  • HDD - Seagate 1TB @ 7200rpm
  • Optical Drive - LG DVD Writer