My laptop's APU is power throttling but fine when I unplug and unplug the AC

First of all, i'm not trying to get 144 fps from a notebook. My current laptop is an HP envy x360 13 powered by a Ryzen 5 2500U APU. This is not meant for gaming I know, but most of the time it copes games like Fortnite (hate all you want) just fine. I just started having an issue where the Fps drops considerably for what I think is power throttling. The CPU is mostly at 40-50% so the GPU should have all the power it wants, and yet in downclocks from around 800-900mhz down to 250-300. The temps are about 70 degrees Celsius which is warm but not super hot, and strangely enough, if I unplug the AC and replug it in, it works fine for just under 2 mins, and then the cycle repeats. All the drivers are up to date and I have the back of the laptop propped up making sure the intake fans are not blocked.

Any help would be massively appreciated, really :)

TLDR;

My laptop has its GPU downclocked heavily but is fixed temporarily when AC is unplugged and re plugged. 

what is the wattage of your charger? (usually written as watts or you can just multiply output amps and output voltage)

It's a 45 watt power supply, but I feel like that should be enough considering that the whole APU uses 15 and that the CPU isnt even on a full workload