Motherboard change

I am planing to change case for my computer, but to do that I need to change to a smaller motherboard. My main question is what happens with the software of the computer when I change motherboard. I can handle the acctual physical change but I don't know what I have to do in software. Does the motherboard sort everything out itself or do I need to do it? Windows, programs, files etc. 

I currently have a atx motherboard and I want to change to a m-atx, the motherboard and case is everything that I'm changing. 

My current parts:

CPU - i5-7600k

Motheboard - MSI z270 SLI PLUS

Memory - Corsair vengance 16gb (2x8)

GPU - evga 1050ti ssc 

CPU cooler - corsair h100i v2

Storatge - Samsung SSD (not a m.2) and a WD hard drive

Power supply - Corsair RM650x

What I planing to change to / buy:

Silverstone RL08

Asus strix z270g <- Any other recomendations of motherboard? 

no everything will still remain on your pc.  I suggest that you do a clean install of windows to get rid of all the previous motherboard drivers to not run into issues later. I am not too sure what your current situation is but why not get a case that will fit your motherboard instead of getting a smaller motherboard? 

8 minutes ago, tank234 said:

no everything will still remain on your pc.  I suggest that you do a clean install of windows to get rid of all the previous motherboard drivers to not run into issues later. I am not too sure what your current situation is but why not get a case that will fit your motherboard instead of getting a smaller motherboard? 

I realy want a smaller pc. I'm planing to change my setup to make it more minimalistic and a smaller pc case would help with that. And I just really love the Silverstone RL08.

Just now, Tiniclon said:

I realy want a smaller pc. I'm planing to change my setup to make it more minimalistic and a smaller pc case would help with that. And I just really love the Silverstone RL08.

oh ok, then yes a fresh install of windows would be your best option 

Just now, tank234 said:

oh ok, then yes a fresh install of windows would be your best option 

Thanks! that information will be very heplfull