Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

LGA 2011 socket?

I have an I7-3820 CPU 4 Cores 4 threads, if I wanted to update, is there a better CPU I could buy or am I looking at a full Motherboard-CPU and RAM change?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

The i7-3930K, 3960X, or 3970X. Don't buy the 3970X though, it has a premium on the used market because it was the top of the line chip but the other two will overclock to about the same speeds.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

 

 

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

 

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 10

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BobVonBob said:

The i7-3930K, 3960X, or 3970X. Don't buy the 3970X though, it has a premium on the used market because it was the top of the line chip but the other two will overclock to about the same speeds.

I see, thanks for the reply BobVonBob, but will the price benefit really be worth it be more beneficial to change to from example a B450 motherboard with a Ryzen 5 1600AF or 3300X?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Santi.Prada said:

I see, thanks for the reply BobVonBob, but will the price benefit really be worth it be more beneficial to change to from example a B450 motherboard with a Ryzen 5 1600AF or 3300X?

If you do a lot of multi-threaded work, yes. If you mostly play games and browse the web, no.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

 

 

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

 

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 10

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Santi.Prada said:

I see, thanks for the reply BobVonBob, but will the price benefit really be worth it be more beneficial to change to from example a B450 motherboard with a Ryzen 5 1600AF or 3300X?

 

Get a new CPU. A Ryzen 5 3600 is a LOT faster than even the best CPU you can put on your board. It's also MUCH cheaper, uses 1/3 the power and isn't full of security holes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Get a new CPU. A Ryzen 5 3600 is a LOT faster than even the best CPU you can put on your board. It's also MUCH cheaper, uses 1/3 the power and isn't full of security holes.

That's the CPU i would want to get, I'm an Archetecture student and use Lumion, Twinmotion, Revit, Photoshop and some other programs that would benefit from more cores. But Right now I have to invest in a RX 580 8GB or a 1650Super 4Gb because my CPU is bottlenecked with a GTX 750 2Gb. After that I'm gonna start saving to upgrade my Motherboard and CPU, wish I could do it all in one but now really possible right now. Thanks for the reply and feedback!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

If you do a lot of multi-threaded work, yes. If you mostly play games and browse the web, no.

I see, thank you!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Santi.Prada said:

That's the CPU i would want to get, I'm an Archetecture student and use Lumion, Twinmotion, Revit, Photoshop and some other programs that would benefit from more cores. But Right now I have to invest in a RX 580 8GB or a 1650Super 4Gb because my CPU is bottlenecked with a GTX 750 2Gb. After that I'm gonna start saving to upgrade my Motherboard and CPU, wish I could do it all in one but now really possible right now. Thanks for the reply and feedback!

Get a 580 or 1660. The 1650 Super is crippled by the low VRAM and small memory interface. In some production workloads it just shots the bed spectacularly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Get a 580 or 1660. The 1650 Super is crippled by the low VRAM and small memory interface. In some production workloads it just shots the bed spectacularly.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll end up going with the 580 because of my budget, would love to go for the 1660 but here in Argentina the difference between the 2 cards is around 100 USD and the market is really unstable, so I want to buy at the earliest date possible! Just between yesterday and today the RX 580 went from 200USD to 220 USD and the 1660 went from 300 to 320. And I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but in pesos (Argentinas Currency) 20 dollars is 2400 pesos, thats around 2days and half of work for an above average minimum wage job. Sorry for all the unecesarry info, thanks again for all the feedback!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×