Need advice on GPU choice

Longbow1

OK i am looking to upgrade my video card.  I have a older system run a i7-4790 @ 4.9 stable, 32 gb 2400 mhz ram, x87 mobo, 2 480GB intel ssd's in Raid 0 with a huge raid 5 array backing everything up.  I have been looking at the benchmarks for some of the cards and it looks like some of the 10 series perform better than the 16 series?  Could that be true?  I cant quite yet justify spending on a 20 series yet.  Thoughts and suggestions?  How can the 10's be better than the 16's?  

Thanks

3 minutes ago, Longbow1 said:

I have been looking at the benchmarks for some of the cards and it looks like some of the 10 series perform better than the 16 series?  Could that be true?

3 minutes ago, Longbow1 said:

How can the 10's be better than the 16's?  

Did you expect the 1650 to outperform the 1080 ti? As with all of nvidia's releases, they need to offer a product at almost every price point, not just release a set of cards that outperforms everything they've ever made.

A GTX 1660 super is in the realm of the GTX 1070, and those have gone up in price on the used market, so for high/max 1080p gaming, it's probably your best bet. There's also the RX 5600 XT, on par with the RTX 2060 in performance but with a nice low price tag.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

The 16's are more budget but are also more efficient, and smaller. The 10's were last generations top tier and are still very powerful.

The 16's were focused mostly for budget builds. If you are planning on a 1070 and 1080 are more powerful than any of the 16's

Maybe go for an rx 580 or rx 590 as they are cheaper.

The 5700 may also be a great option at just a tad higher in price.

At what point do you think my cpu with be the bottleneck?  i am running at 4.9 but its a 4790k

43 minutes ago, Longbow1 said:

x87 mobo

Did you mean z87? I can't find a x87

o?

IMO Go for the lower end 16 series or maybe the mid lower end of the 10 series. But the lack of VRAM kinda sucks tho...

o?

1080ti is still better than most 20's GPU without considering ray tracing.. 

CPU: i7 4790K OC 4.7GHz @1.275V

MOBO: ASUS Z87-PLUS
RAM: G.SKILL RIPJAWS DDR3 8Gx2 1600MHz OC 2133MHz (11-12-12-32)
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1660 SUPER

1 hour ago, Longbow1 said:

OK i am looking to upgrade my video card.  I have a older system run a i7-4790 @ 4.9 stable, 32 gb 2400 mhz ram, x87 mobo, 2 480GB intel ssd's in Raid 0 with a huge raid 5 array backing everything up.  I have been looking at the benchmarks for some of the cards and it looks like some of the 10 series perform better than the 16 series?  Could that be true?  I cant quite yet justify spending on a 20 series yet.  Thoughts and suggestions?  How can the 10's be better than the 16's?  

Thanks

I've been looking at the sort of the same problem, although i have an older Procesor (I7-3820) and currently running a GTX 750 (2GB). But I'm bottlenecked, so I've been looking at GPU's and what I have found is that a GTX 1650 Super is around the same as a RX 580. But the 1650super has 4GB and the RX 580 has 8GB, and I believe that getting a 580 because it's a little cheaper. Otherwise you have to jump to a 1660 S or a later 10 series..Unless you want to get into the used market. As to your bottleneck dilema I recommend this site https://pc-builds.com/calculator/

I'm not sure how accurate it is, but gives you a general idea and is easy to use.