dell xps 15 9550 multiplier stuck at 15 1.48ghz

dell xps 15 9550 multiplier stuck at 15 1.48ghz. no matter what i do it wont fix it permanently. I have formatted and re installed current drivers. its a 2.6ghz processor and 3.5 boost. if i disable the speed step in bios it just holds at 2.6ghz and if i re-install "Intel-Dynamic-Platform-and-Thermal-Framework_74P16_WIN_8.3.10209.6897_A12" it will work normally up to 3.5ghz until I reboot. I have not found a way to make it work normally permanently however. any ideas?

the computer is still quite fast at 3.5ghz but at 1.48 its difficult to use.

7 minutes ago, bladefire999 said:

dell xps 15 9550 multiplier stuck at 15 1.48ghz. no matter what i do it wont fix it permanently. I have formatted and re installed current drivers. its a 2.6ghz processor and 3.5 boost. if i disable the speed step in bios it just holds at 2.6ghz and if i re-install "Intel-Dynamic-Platform-and-Thermal-Framework_74P16_WIN_8.3.10209.6897_A12" it will work normally up to 3.5ghz until I reboot. I have not found a way to make it work normally permanently however. any ideas?

the computer is still quite fast at 3.5ghz but at 1.48 its difficult to use.

You're probably more likely to fix this if you contact Dell support directly as it seems some soft of software bug behaviour. Maybe windows update is fckn up the update you're installing and overwritting it when rebooting? I don't really see another option for that to happen. Try to forcefully disable all updates and reinstall the framework and check if it still bugs out after rebooting

I've seen a lot of threads about this issue before, almost exclusively with Dell laptops, if you haven't tried already (which it seems like you might have) then it might be worth trying to reinstall the Intel chipset drivers. A workaround though, if you can't fix the issue may just to install the framework which lets it get back up to 3.5 and then use hibernate rather than shutting down entirely

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

11 minutes ago, bengeoghegan11 said:

I've seen a lot of threads about this issue before, almost exclusively with Dell laptops, if you haven't tried already (which it seems like you might have) then it might be worth trying to reinstall the Intel chipset drivers. A workaround though, if you can't fix the issue may just to install the framework which lets it get back up to 3.5 and then use hibernate rather than shutting down entirely

Hibernate is also busted on all XPS machines. Dell still haven't fixed it 6 years later

8 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Hibernate is also busted on all XPS machines. Dell still haven't fixed it 6 years later

Ouch, I've always thought the XPS was a really premium lineup?

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

16 minutes ago, bengeoghegan11 said:

Ouch, I've always thought the XPS was a really premium lineup?

The XPS line has been one of the worst product lines of the past ten years with massive issues ranging from overheating powder delivery, DPC Latency, broken hibernation, busted BIOSes, messed up CPU and GPU cooling, problematic ghosting screens and etc. People recommend it because it looks good and always fail to realize how bad the design and how many issues it has

42 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

The XPS line has been one of the worst product lines of the past ten years with massive issues ranging from overheating powder delivery, DPC Latency, broken hibernation, busted BIOSes, messed up CPU and GPU cooling, problematic ghosting screens and etc. People recommend it because it looks good and always fail to realize how bad the design and how many issues it has

It does look brilliant but wow that's a lot of issues to have with such a premium product.

@bladefire999 Try this link, hopefully you'll have some luck with this; https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/XPS15-9550-The-Speed-of-my-lap-goes-real-slow/m-p/5135704#M923364

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

3 minutes ago, bengeoghegan11 said:

It does look brilliant but wow that's a lot of issues to have with such a premium product.

@bladefire999 Try this link, hopefully you'll have some luck with this; https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/XPS15-9550-The-Speed-of-my-lap-goes-real-slow/m-p/5135704#M923364

It's the same reason the MacBook Pros and Razer laptops sell. Looks and marketing hype from reviewers that don't test thoroughly (LMG is sadly guilty of this as they keep recommending the horrid Razer laptops even though they have admitted that none of their Razer laptops have lasted for more than a year and a few months)

@bladefire999 - Does your laptop have a 6700HQ? ThrottleStop was originally written to help out a throttling Dell XPS. It has many features that were specifically designed to help these computers.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

This program uses the Visual C++ 2013 MFC libraries. If you do not yet have those installed on your computer, you can download them from Microsoft. You need to install both the x86 and x64 versions.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4032938/update-for-visual-c-2013-redistributable-package

The Limit Reasons window might show why your computer is throttling. ThrottleStop gives you access to many things you can tweak to get your CPU back up to its full rated speed. I would start by going into the TPL window and enabling Speed Shift Technology. This is the preferred method so the CPU can control its speed. Leave SpeedStep enabled in the BIOS and leave the Thermal Framework driver installed for the moment.

Use the built in TS Bench to put a load on your CPU and open up Limit Reasons to watch for throttling. You can also run Cinebench R20. That will allow you to compare your laptop's performance with other similar laptops.

https://www.maxon.net/en-us/products/cinebench-r20-overview/

If you need help with ThrottleStop, post lots of screenshots and I will show you how to set this program up so you can manage your CPU throttling problem.

A reminder - throttlestop will remove the protections and let the VRMs overheat. If you haven't modded the cooling, do NOT remove the limits otherwise the laptop will fail very quickly.