Can't fit motherboard (Aorus Elite X570) into a case (Silent Base 600)

Parts: Aorus Elite X570 ATX motherboard, Silent Base 600 ATX case

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/2JyRGmG

Problem: I'm trying to fit a motherboard into a case, but can't get all screws align to standoffs. The case doesn't have normal standoffs, instead there are heightened bumps in the design (see pics). No matter how I wiggle, some screws just don't align. They are close but not close enough. I suspect the problem is the integrated IO -shield of the motherboard. It has steel strips left, right and up, and it doesn't feel like that it sits nicely in the case opening.

The middle standoff number 5 is a odd one. The bumb is lower, than the rest and originally it had a screw sticking upwards. Googled a bit and seems that it's there to help you anchor the board. First I blamed that standoff and I took the screw off so that it doesn't hinder my wiggling attempts, but that didn't help.

Best I've managed is to get all screws attached except number 4 (and 5 that doesn't take a screw anyway). However, in that attempt it seemed that number 4 was also aligned just right, but the hole was not resting on the standoff, there seemed to be a gap, and as the screws are short, couldn't get number 4 screw to reach the case. Tried to push the board down, but it didn't help. Feels odd to me that while numbers 1 and 7 are attached, number 4 is not resting on the standoff?

In the last pic, the IO -shield is visibly aligned too left. I've managed to center it a bit better that in that pic, but in general it seems to want to sit more to the left than in the center.

I've used reasonable force, wiggled the board around and tried to make the IO-shield snap in somehow (which it really doesn't do). Nothing sticking out below the motherboard. It's my first PC build, what should I do next? More force? Bend the IO -shield's steel strips (in which direction)? Take off the IO-shield (don't know if warranty allows that). Attach with only 7 screws (all but numbers 4 and 5), call it good and go on? Remove the backboard of the case to see if the IO-shield really is the culprit (not sure if it is removable anyway). Any advice?

Partially screw in 3 and 7  , then in 1 and 8 or 9 (partially screw) , then partially screw in every remaining hole, then go around tightening the screws, a bit at a time until all are screwed.... motherboard should center itself

Make sure you remove previous io shields from the case.

always do things diagonally (opposite corners)... works for coolers the same way

You don't need to attach it at all the points in the case, just make sure it's held securely by the ones that do line up once the IO shield is in place. 

23 minutes ago, jalmari_x said:

Parts: Aorus Elite X570 ATX motherboard, Silent Base 600 ATX case

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/2JyRGmG

Problem: I'm trying to fit a motherboard into a case, but can't get all screws align to standoffs. The case doesn't have normal standoffs, instead there are heightened bumps in the design (see pics). No matter how I wiggle, some screws just don't align. They are close but not close enough. I suspect the problem is the integrated IO -shield of the motherboard. It has steel strips left, right and up, and it doesn't feel like that it sits nicely in the case opening.

The middle standoff number 5 is a odd one. The bumb is lower, than the rest and originally it had a screw sticking upwards. Googled a bit and seems that it's there to help you anchor the board. First I blamed that standoff and I took the screw off so that it doesn't hinder my wiggling attempts, but that didn't help.

Best I've managed is to get all screws attached except number 4 (and 5 that doesn't take a screw anyway). However, in that attempt it seemed that number 4 was also aligned just right, but the hole was not resting on the standoff, there seemed to be a gap, and as the screws are short, couldn't get number 4 screw to reach the case. Tried to push the board down, but it didn't help. Feels odd to me that while numbers 1 and 7 are attached, number 4 is not resting on the standoff?

In the last pic, the IO -shield is visibly aligned too left. I've managed to center it a bit better that in that pic, but in general it seems to want to sit more to the left than in the center.

I've used reasonable force, wiggled the board around and tried to make the IO-shield snap in somehow (which it really doesn't do). Nothing sticking out below the motherboard. It's my first PC build, what should I do next? More force? Bend the IO -shield's steel strips (in which direction)? Take off the IO-shield (don't know if warranty allows that). Attach with only 7 screws (all but numbers 4 and 5), call it good and go on? Remove the backboard of the case to see if the IO-shield really is the culprit (not sure if it is removable anyway). Any advice?

So I haven't worked with that case but found a thread on reddit with a group of people having this problem

Here a quote from there for a solution

Hello All again.

​

I can confirm that in fact are those small pegs around the IO shield. After my prior reply, I turned off the computer, took the motherboard out and pushed those little pegs back. After doing so, the motherboard aligned almost perfectly and was no trouble at all to put in the screws. Thankfully they were not cross-threaded as I feared! I will need to add this to my motherboard review and let MSI know about this so they can update their manual (hopefully).

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/ecrk41/mb_with_preinstalled_io_shield_backplate_does_not/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Hope this helps

22 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

So I haven't worked with that case but found a thread on reddit with a group of people having this problem

Here a quote from there for a solution

Hello All again.

​

I can confirm that in fact are those small pegs around the IO shield. After my prior reply, I turned off the computer, took the motherboard out and pushed those little pegs back. After doing so, the motherboard aligned almost perfectly and was no trouble at all to put in the screws. Thankfully they were not cross-threaded as I feared! I will need to add this to my motherboard review and let MSI know about this so they can update their manual (hopefully).

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/ecrk41/mb_with_preinstalled_io_shield_backplate_does_not/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Hope this helps

Thanks, I checked that, although in that case, the design of the shield seems to be a bit different than in my case. I'd try to bend those strips a bit...

...however, I realized that there actually is something sticking out below the motherboard. The IO-shield has kind of supportive structure below the board, right next to hole number 4. That wouldn't normally be a problem, but because Silent Base 600's standoffs (the bumps) have larger surface area than normal screwable standoffs, that bump rubs against the structure and lifts the board around that hole. You can actually see some rubbing damage in the bump already (see pic).

As the bump location can't be changed, I think I can't solve that issue without some brutal actions:

1) Either fit the board in the best I can, and accept that it's pushed up by standoff number 4. Doesn't feel good to me. 

2) Cut out a small part of the IO-shields supportive structure so that it doesn't rub the case. As a inexperienced builder, I don't really feel comfortable damaging the motherboard, even though that part doesn't seem to be so important.

3) Get a new case with normal standoffs.

What's the best option here?

bump.jpg

I would use a file or something to remove some metal from the case.

Wouldn't alter the motherboard as you'd lose resale value and there's a chance board may be rejected at warranty if you're unlucky to have issues with it at some point.

Could even get some hammer and press down on that standoff and just not screw the motherboard in that point, motherboard will be plenty locked with the other 7..8 screws and won't move in the case.

7 hours ago, jalmari_x said:

Thanks, I checked that, although in that case, the design of the shield seems to be a bit different than in my case. I'd try to bend those strips a bit...

...however, I realized that there actually is something sticking out below the motherboard. The IO-shield has kind of supportive structure below the board, right next to hole number 4. That wouldn't normally be a problem, but because Silent Base 600's standoffs (the bumps) have larger surface area than normal screwable standoffs, that bump rubs against the structure and lifts the board around that hole. You can actually see some rubbing damage in the bump already (see pic).

As the bump location can't be changed, I think I can't solve that issue without some brutal actions:

1) Either fit the board in the best I can, and accept that it's pushed up by standoff number 4. Doesn't feel good to me. 

2) Cut out a small part of the IO-shields supportive structure so that it doesn't rub the case. As a inexperienced builder, I don't really feel comfortable damaging the motherboard, even though that part doesn't seem to be so important.

3) Get a new case with normal standoffs.

What's the best option here?

bump.jpg

sorry for the late response had to get some zzzz. Did some looking, there are no pics out there showing the back of the motherboard. I found one video that show it half fast. This is what i gathered and what i would do.

There are two silver screws that appear to only hold the i/o shield in place. I would take them out. And try to install the i/o shield by itself to see if those (i guess i will call them legs) leg are hitting anything. And to also check if the i/o shield can snap in to place without the motherboard. If it can you will have 3 options.

1. cut out the motherboard stands out or try making a slit into so the leg can slide  through it. I would not do this it will be labor intensive and you loose a maybe an important mount for the motherboard as your gpu sits right underneath.

2. I the i/O shield snaps into place without the motherboard, you can simple cut the legs off altogether. Install the motherboard as if it was a regular motherboard without a attached i/o shield.

3. Dermal/file down the i/o shield leg where it makes contact against the stand. (which i think you can see where its rubbing in your pic. Unless thats just me)

Does the other leg make contact anywhere too?

bump.thumb.jpg.04c5f8be26c6e6aa870f9dc6c26b1b4e.jpg.81cbad009c296776d338156803f28ca6.jpg