CPU temps keeps jumping 10ºC while idling on desktop

I started noticing this because the fan keeps revving up and down, and then I checked HWMonitor, and the CPU (Ryzen 5 3600) keep jumping 10ºC out of nowhere. It then cools down those degrees, and jumps again.

What confuses me more is that it only happens on the "Balanced" and "High Perfomance" power plans; with "Power Saver" it doesn't happen. I'm using the stock cooler.

According to a bit of research it's normal because Windows, but it is really weird.

That's normal for zen 

It happens all the time ;)

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

3 minutes ago, DarkAlpha_Sete said:

I started noticing this because the fan keeps revving up and down, and then I checked HWMonitor, and the CPU (Ryzen 5 3600) keep jumping 10ºC out of nowhere. It then cools down those degrees, and jumps again.

What confuses me more is that it only happens on the "Balanced" and "High Perfomance" power plans; with "Power Saver" it doesn't happen. I'm using the stock cooler.

According to a bit of research it's normal because Windows, but it is really weird.

My 3600x does it too, fairly normal and it doesn't do it under load. Jumping mid 30's to 40's doesn't really bother me especially when my cooling curve is set to ramp up at 60

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

10 minutes ago, DarkAlpha_Sete said:

Don't use HW Monitor and CPU Z on Ryzen. They are broken and report wrong numbers. Use Ryzen Master or HWiNFO.

As for idles, they're irrelevant. Only load temperatures matter

45 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Don't use HW Monitor and CPU Z on Ryzen. They are broken and report wrong numbers. Use Ryzen Master or HWiNFO.

As for idles, they're irrelevant. Only load temperatures matter

HWiNFO reports the same temperatures.

Perhaps I shouldn't have worried if it's normal. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Escanor said:

My 3900x does that to its normal behavior those random spikes, i do hope its gonna spike less tho once i go triple 360mm radiator that hopefully arrive this Monday or Tuesday.

Mine does it on a 240 rad and did it on the stock 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

9 minutes ago, DarkAlpha_Sete said:

HWiNFO reports the same temperatures.

Perhaps I shouldn't have worried if it's normal. Thanks.

It's normal for any CPU - my i7 idles anywhere between 35 and 60 depending on the day.

15 minutes ago, Escanor said:

Yeah well i would expect temps to drop down by 15 to 20c on my cpu once i go 3x 360mm currently maxing out 70c and lowest temp about 35c avg out around 40 to 45c at idle

My 5820k idled at 35 to 40c consistently never peeked so i would say not normal but i guess that changes with new gen cpu's

It's normal, very much so. Thanks to the smaller size of dies it becomes much harder to instantly remove the burst heat.

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

It's normal, very much so. Thanks to the smaller size of dies it becomes much harder to instantly remove the burst heat.

And especially at this time of the year where ambient temperatures are really high 

High idle themps are normal 

My kaby lake i7 can reach 40-50 on idle 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, Escanor said:

Not if you have air conditioner tho

Well I would not have AC on 24/7 lol

Build Log: 

Just now, Escanor said:

I have mine only on when i am in the room, my plants would grab pitchforks otherwise if they could.

Lol we ( by we I mean my family ) have a unit that covers the house ( don't know what it's called since I'm not into ac lmao ) and the only place that lacks good vents is my room and it's always hell in there lmao 

Build Log: 

Just now, Escanor said:

Small rooms can be bit of a problem without air conditioning with a computer running all that heat gets dumped in the room and cant go anywhere.

Well here is the thing 

My room is the biggest bed room in the house 🤣 but it gets so hot because the ac sucks in it 

Build Log: