Cpu error

carsonbogart

So it was my birthday yesterday and I got a new processor, ram, and motherboard. I took out the old parts and put in the new parts I struggled to put the cords in the right place. I am not sure if I did them right, but I got it to turn on. the motherboard has 3 red lights 1 on each ram slot in a stick in and one on the EZ debug lights about the CPU. All of these lights stay red and dont flicker. The parts are a msi x470 motherboard gaming max plus, a ryzen 5 1600 and corsair vengeance lpx 8x2  3000mhz 

26 minutes ago, carsonbogart said:

So it was my birthday yesterday and I got a new processor, ram, and motherboard. I took out the old parts and put in the new parts I struggled to put the cords in the right place. I am not sure if I did them right, but I got it to turn on. the motherboard has 3 red lights 1 on each ram slot in a stick in and one on the EZ debug lights about the CPU. All of these lights stay red and dont flicker. The parts are a msi x470 motherboard gaming max plus, a ryzen 5 1600 and corsair vengeance lpx 8x2  3000mhz 

So you did a first time rebuild of an old computer, weren’t sure how things needed to be set up, and are having problems.

Sounds like these cords didn’t necessarily get correctly into the right places. May also include the cpu.  Lots and lots of photos might help.  This sounds like a long one. 

we’ll need a complete parts list of everything in the new machine, and possibly which stuff you moved from the old one.   This is just so we can know what parts are even talked about.  Knowing the parts by make and model allows us to call up photos of them on the internet and get a better idea of what is going on.

there are likely going to be a lot more questions befor answers become useful but that parts list is needed to even be able to ask them.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 minutes ago, carsonbogart said:

What other parts do I need to list?

All of it in one place.  Makes and models of everything.

cpu

motherboard

ram

psu

storage

OS (versions important here)

GPU

fans (likely much less important.  Rgb can be annoying though and fans plug into the motherboard)

also important is what bios versions the GPU and motherboard have on them.

computers are complicated and all the parts have to work together.  If there is a problem they’re not doing that so we need to find out about the parts.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I have a gtx 1060 3gb , sk hynix 250gb ssd and a 1tb hard drive (idk the producer) which is not plugged in the ssd has windows on it

IMG_0225.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0227.JPG

IMG_0228.JPG

Seeing an AMD cpu in a mini atx board with stock cooler, 1 stock of ram in slot 3(or2? May matter. Single memory sticks should go in slot 1) gtx 1060 gpu.

cpu power is odd.  There will be a four and four, a four and an 8 or two 8s or an 8 and a 4

motherboard I don’t know the name of.

the manual for your motherboard is going to be real useful here btw.  With the make and model I can probably pull one off the internet.  If you got the paper one though it will be handy for you.

I dont know the bios or the psu This is my computer I was using I swapped the graphics card for a 1060 then I swapped the mother board, processor 

IMG_0229.PNG

IMG_0231.PNG

IMG_0230.PNG

The manual says to put 8 pins into the cpu power1 The cpu power1 is a 8 pin thing I have a 2 4pin power for it, but the cpu power2 has nothing in it. I'll try the memory in other slots.

5 minutes ago, carsonbogart said:

The manual says to put 8 pins into the cpu power1 The cpu power1 is a 8 pin thing I have a 2 4pin power for it, but the cpu power2 has nothing in it. I'll try the memory in other slots.

The deal with cpu power is sort of historical.

once upon a time there was just single 4 pin cpu power.  Then overclock era came along and motherboard makers started adding a second 4 pin that piggybacked on the 1st for more power.  That got turned into an 8 pin slot, but even more power was sometimes needed so the process got continued.  An 8 pin cpu port is two 4 pins, and the second port is almost never needed.  

you described the old computer but not the new parts.  Are the new parts pictured or the old ones?  I saw ddr4 and a single stick which implies new parts. 

makes and models.  With that info specs can be looked up which makes things worlds easier.

your SSD could actually be sata6 for example. 

14 minutes ago, carsonbogart said:

I dont think the mobo is a mini atx

I was just counting slots.  I saw three which says mini atx to me.  With a make and model all could be answered.

the memory in other slots did not work 

The new parts are mobo msi x470 gaming plus max a ryzen 5 1600 and corsair vengeance lpx 8x2  3000mhz and a gtx 1060 3gb from EVGA all of the othe parts are from the computer I listed sorry if this is not enough ill look into exact make a model

15 minutes ago, carsonbogart said:

the memory in other slots did not work

That could be bad.  Your mobo manual will tell you which slot is slot one.  Some mobos might want memory in different slots though.  The mobo manual is important.

2 minutes ago, carsonbogart said:

Ok ill look at the manual for it

If you won’t tell me the make and model so I can do it too it’s still a bunch better than nothing.

Im looking for the make and model where do I find it would it be on the box or the mobo its self Im trying to be helpful

Just now, carsonbogart said:

Im looking for the make and model where do I find it would it be on the box or the mobo its self Im trying to be helpful

Sounds reasonable to me.

Companies love printig such stuff on the box.  It generally on the motherboard somewhere though it may be hard to find.  The manual will also have it

7 minutes ago, carsonbogart said:

The box had a qr code that led to the online manual

http://download.msi.com/manual/mb/X470GAMINGPLUSMAX.pdf

Woohoo!  I’m a big fan of RTFM myself.   Those things are written by engineers that know the board from the inside out.   Makes em boring and confusing to read but they can tell you a lot.

thats a b450 so you probably aren’t running that bulldozer 8300 on it. What cpu?

1 minute ago, carsonbogart said:

Uh its a ryzen 5 1600

14mm or the 12nm AF version? Prolly won’t matter.  One of the weirdnesses of b450 is motherboards with small bios chips, which is most of em, sometimes had earlier CPUs removed from the bios to make room for ryzen2.  Might be worth checking that the bios on your motherboard supports your cpu.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

14mm or the 12nm AF version? Prolly won’t matter.  One of the weirdnesses of b450 is motherboards with small bios chips, which is most of em, sometimes had earlier CPUs removed from the bios to make room for ryzen2.  Might be worth checking that the bios on your motherboard supports your cpu.

That's an X470 bro.