Workstation Laptop

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a high-end workstation laptop to replace my ageing 15" 2014 MacBook Pro.

The OS does not matter, as it will be running Linux anyway.

The new MacBooks are out of question, as I won't buy a laptop with a soldered SSD. Also the TouchBar is a no-go

It will be used for software development, running a lot of VMs and a bit of CAD

Requirements:

- CPU: at least 6 cores (maybe 4000 series AMD?)

- RAM: at least 16GB

- I/O: 2 USB 3.0 and 2 Thunderbolt

- Display: 14-16" IPS QHD or similar (no need for 4k, touch or high refresh)

- SSD: NVME 1TB

Nice to have:

- 16:10 aspect ratio

- good touchpad

- HDMI

- headphone jack

Budget: 3000 USD

Thanks in advance :)

For starters you have the new XPS 15 which there is a review of on the short circuit channel, the touch pad is big and works really well (similar to a macbook one) however it lacks any USB ports and only has thunderbolt and USB C.

image.thumb.png.3e721e30f9b6c0766e8a0c65a3bca003.png

On the other side of the spectrum, equipped with an AMD CPU you can get the ROG Zephyrus G14 or the ROG Zephyrus G15 which LTT made a review which has USB type A ports but lacks thunderbolt ones, plus it has a smaller, lesser trackpad.

image.thumb.png.ad74ba16262251a715ebacfafe8a76a3.png

15 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

For starters you have the new XPS 15 which there is a review of on the short circuit channel, the touch pad is big and works really well (similar to a macbook one) however it lacks any USB ports and only has thunderbolt and USB C.

image.thumb.png.3e721e30f9b6c0766e8a0c65a3bca003.png

On the other side of the spectrum, equipped with an AMD CPU you can get the ROG Zephyrus G14 or the ROG Zephyrus G15 which LTT made a review which has USB type A ports but lacks thunderbolt ones, plus it has a smaller, lesser trackpad.

image.thumb.png.ad74ba16262251a715ebacfafe8a76a3.png

I don't like dongles on the go and I need thunderbolt to connect it to my eGPU driven monitor setup at home. A combination of those two would be perfect 😅

5 hours ago, Kaloob said:

I'd reccomend the Thinkpad P53, it seems to meet a good amount of your requirements and is auctually a workstation laptop. Sadly, they got rid of the easily removable battery after the P52 (if you go for that, update the thunderbolt controller's driver immediately!)

Maybe wait and see if 10th gen Intel or Ryzen 4000 variants are released. 

Thanks very much for your suggestion. The P53 might be a bit chunky, but it really checks all the boxes.

I would really like to go AMD for the fantastic battery life. How likely is it for Thinkpads to get AMD CPUs?

• 2 weeks later...

I've a lot of experience with workstations. If you ask me just one laptop which worked absolutely great for me, I would recommend you Lenovo ThinkPad P53

Here's the config:

Link: https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-Mobile-Workstation-20QN001BUS/dp/B07VZBFTG9/

Intel Six Core i7-9750H

16GB RAM

512GB PCIe Nvme SSD

15.6" 4K 3840x2160 Display

NVIDIA Quadro T2000 4GB Graphics

It's working absolutely great for me. If you take a look at the AutoCAD's official website, they have recommended some certified graphics cards (take a look: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/certified-graphics-hardware)

NVIDIA Quadro T2000 is also mentioned as the certified graphics card for CAD work.

You can also refer this page: https://laptopdiscovery.com/best-laptops-autocad/ they have also listed it as their #1 recommendation.

From my side, the ThinkPad P53 is definitely worth checking out. Do let me know if you have any question