Internet Death

Hi, I’m currently doing a server upgrade for a small business. I powered down the server and things worked fine. Halfway through the upgrade the internet in the whole office died. I have no clue what to do.

What was the server running? Hard to give a recommendation on what to do if we don't know if the server should affect internet access or not.

4 minutes ago, The_russian said:

What was the server running? Hard to give a recommendation on what to do if we don't know if the server should affect internet access or not.

Do you mean os? It was Windows Server 2008. It only had some file storage on it. Even the web browser stopped working 

2 minutes ago, Zaexedeon said:

Do you mean os? It was Windows Server 2008. It only had some file storage on it. Even the web browser stopped working 

I meant what services, like DHCP, DNS, etc. And what do you mean by the web browser stopped working?

By the way, don't forget to click the quote button when replying to someone, that way they get a notification.  Never mind, I thought you didn't quote me.

Edited by The_russian

22 minutes ago, The_russian said:

I meant what services, like DHCP, DNS, etc. And what do you mean by the web browser stopped working?

By the way, don't forget to click the quote button when replying to someone, that way they get a notification.  Never mind, I thought you didn't quote me.

Im getting a DNS Probe Finished Bad Config

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Was the server running AD? Do the office clients resolve to a local IP?

You’re going to have to elaborate a little for me. I’m not very handy with networking. I understand things more hardware side.

7 minutes ago, Zaexedeon said:

You’re going to have to elaborate a little for me. I’m not very handy with networking. I understand things more hardware side.

Well, first off what services was the server running? Was it only a file server or were they running Active Directory? A Domain Controller. Are the office clients DNS configured pointing at the servers private IP?

It's also possible the server is unrelated. Have you checked the modem/router? Is everything good there? Can you bypass the switch?