Views on American Culture Outside North America

Lachrymal

They're valued but a lot of the teachers we have a jokes and children aren't raised to appreciate the knowledge.

Side note, I find it so hilarious how so many foreigners are so surprised by our trucks. I'm going to have a fun time driving my F-150 over in Germany and the surrounding countries.

Yeah even here in Toronto (probably the least "Canadian" city), I hardly see trucks. 

Also it's funny you say that, since a friend of mine moved down to the states in grade 8 because of better education.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

There are some very racially insensitive people who are strong believers in creationism and like to drive big truck and have big guns (the typical American as thought of by many foreigners).

Even them are not really at fault if you consider how little access to culture and education they have but instead of making a boring argument about it, I leave with with Henry Rollins on Walmart:

-------

Current Rig

-------

Everyone loves Canada I don't know what yoor talking aboot.

Love and humor/insults are different things. Canada's probably the most loved and most ripped on nation in the world.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

The censorship is a bit silly, and I think it's taken a bit too far.

You have to take things state by state, each state is different. I'm from Ohio, Ohio is a conservative state for the most part but not radically conservative like Texas, Louisiana, Arizona etc. The area that I live in is generally pretty liberal progressive, more on line with my values and such. People here are generally just as dumb as anyone else in the country but they generally aren't assholes.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

The fact that your fucked up country of a shitstain is desperately trying to stay relevant in every way there is disgusts me. Total control over information, threats of military actions against any countries that your government even so slightly considers a threat and the fact that you, the population, whine about all of this, yet praise your country like it was the greatest in the world, "despite flaws".

Where's the outrage? Where's the overthrown government? So much whining, yet nothing is happening. You guys speak so highly of freedom and democracy and spreading it throughout the world, yet you fail to follow your own principles at home.

dayum girl! Chill your pigtails!

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

The fact that your fucked up country of a shitstain is desperately trying to stay relevant in every way there is disgusts me. Total control over information, threats of military actions against any countries that your government even so slightly considers a threat and the fact that you, the population, whine about all of this, yet praise your country like it was the greatest in the world, "despite flaws".

Where's the outrage? Where's the overthrown government? So much whining, yet nothing is happening. You guys speak so highly of freedom and democracy and spreading it throughout the world, yet you fail to follow your own principles at home

Perhaps you should calm down and realize that you are being close minded about this situation?  I think you would love living in America since you would finally be able to experience what we have to deal with every day.  It's not as simple as causing "outrage and overthrowing the government".  Yet you have the audacity to sit there and piss and moan about us pissing and moaning...give me a break.

I would revolt against our countries policies, and I do, it's just that everyone else is brainwashed into obeying the system.

MY CURRENT PC

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3-1600 STORAGE: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HHD GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 SLI CASE: Fractal Design R4 PSU: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold 
PERIPHERALS - KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Cherry MX Browns MOUSE: Logitech G500/M100 MONITOR(S): Acer H236HLbid (I want an Asus PB278Q) SPEAKERS: Some Cyber Acoustics $10 speakers PICTURES AND FULL PARTS LIST @ PCPARTPICKER - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/z4Pscf  

"Don't get so caught up in trying to make a living that you forget to make a life."

Being an American that used to technically be a redneck I want to share what the culture is like.

(a redneck is someone who is a farmer and is either poor or uneducated)

Q: Why do people in America use heavy equipment such as trucks?

A: Work. You don't have to have a job to use heavy equipment in america. If you own a truck or a chainsaw or trailer etc you will always be helping people out with moving or cutting down a tree or whatever. Everybody helps each other out. My family has 3 trailers, a truck, a big ass lawnmower, and a ton of tools/yard equipment.

Q: Why do Americans feel the need to own guns?

A: We are not dependent on others to protect us. Guns are for killing animals, intruders, foreigners in time of war, and government when we need to obtain freedom.

Q: Why do you say you used to "technically" a redneck?

A: Here what we call rednecks is the families that own a ton of land together and have people stationed to radio in when a stranger is driving up their road so everyone can hurry and hide whatever is illegal.

I was poor and had livestock in rabbits and chickens and also grew some of my own food. At about 6 years old I learned to butcher animals. Oh, also I had goats.

Q: Do you have any friends that are full fledged rednecks?

A: Yes and I've gone fishing for catfish in their yard a few times.

Q: Is everyone in america like what you have said?

A: No. Everyone in america is different and some people are against guns.

Q: Where do you live in the USA?

A: Florida

Q: Do you watch reality tv?

A: No and I think people that do are pathetic.

Q: Do you watch any tv?

A: Yes these are some of my favorite shows: NCIS, Top Gear, Futurama, Firefly, Batman Animated Series, Dr. Who, Monk, The Big Bang Theory.

Q: Do you love Nascar?

A: Yes it's amazing! I like rally better though.

Nascar was started by moonshiners in South Carolina. They built a track to race and test out their modified getaway cars.

Q: Have you done any auto racing?

A: No I'm 18 and don't have my own car. My parents and other relatives have though. I used to live right next to an airport that drag races were held on.

Q: Do you live in a redneck area currently?

A: No. The area is fairly rich because of Cypress Gardens. There are still rednecks though and a lot of trucks and muscle cars. And I live on the end of my street next to woods.

Does anyone have any questions to ask me about my culture?

I'm from Canada and I visit the US twice a year, I also have family there. Everyone that I've met there is incredibly friendly and helpful. I'm also a visible minority and was never treated differently because of it.

One thing that sticks out in the US is the media. Watching TV commercials or listening to radio commercials is completely different than what we get back in Canada. Every commercial is about getting what you deserve. Like if you are in a car accident, then you should sue the other person or protect yourself from being sued. If you have a horrible driving record, you can still get insured. If you have bad credit, you can still get a loan. If you default on the loan, you can still get another loan. If you have any type of ailment, then use a specific type of drug. If you get sick from the experimental medication, then you should sue the company that makes it. Its one vicious cycle and it's non stop.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

I'm from Canada and I visit the US twice a year, I also have family there. Everyone that I've met there is incredibly friendly and helpful. I'm also a visible minority and was never treated differently because of it.

One thing that sticks out in the US is the media. Watching TV commercials or listening to radio commercials is completely different than what we get back in Canada. Every commercial is about getting what you deserve. Like if you are in a car accident, then you should sue the other person or protect yourself from being sued. If you have a horrible driving record, you can still get insured. If you have bad credit, you can still get a loan. If you default on the loan, you can still get another loan. If you have any type of ailment, then use a specific type of drug. If you get sick from the experimental medication, then you should sue the company that makes it. Its one vicious cycle and it's non stop.

A lot of Americans are like this and they really piss me off. Everyone thinks that everyone else owes them something and they depend on it.