Accidentally mixed Copper block with Nickel Alloy Aluminium radiator

I purchased my watercooling hardware recently and due to a misclick I thought the radiator I had purchased was copper. Unfortunately it was not. Rad is the Thermaltake RL360, block is the Corsair XC7.

I am using a premix fluid from EKWB that is advertised as corrosion resistant, but I think galvanic corrosion may unfortunately still occur. Is this correct? Does the fact that the alu is a nickel alloy help at all, and if so how long will I be OK for before permanent damage to the rad? As I understand the block would only be a problem if the corrosion caused particles to enter the water and get stuck in the fins, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

If I'm changing anything it will be the rad, as I would prefer copper for the marginally better heat transfer anyway.

Thanks guys in advance

My GPU History: GTS 250, 7790, 7850, GTX 660ti, 7870XT, 7970, 280X, 280X Crossfire, 290, 290X, Fury X, 390 Crossfire, Fury Crossfire, 1070, 1080, 1080ti.

My CPU History: Pentium 4, Pentium E5300, Core 2 Quad QX 9650, Intel Xeon 1230 v3, 4790K, 3930K, 5820K, 1700, 3700X.

The description says it is zinc coated.  That will corrode faster then the aluminum.  Common anti corrosion measure is to have a sacrificial zinc anode in contact with fluids.  The aluminum won't corrode until zinc is gone, that could be a year or decades, to many factors to make a guess.  It seems thermaltake designed that rad for mixed metals, interesting choice on their part.  The ekwb lists ASTM D1384, that is same standard as automotive coolants for corrosion and cars do use mixed metals.  It should corrode in same ball park as an aio cooler or better, zinc should protect rad for longer, but may cause clogging in water block before aluminum starts corroding..  So, when it does start going it most likely will be higher temps and not a leak at least.

Aluminum is easier to machine fins and make non-round tubes, so thermal performance is closer on radiators then material properties seem.  On automotive radiators for example, better design possible with aluminum makes performance equal to copper rad of same size.  I have not seen any tests on pc rads, but difference thermally is probably within margin of error, corrosion is pretty much only concern.  It appears they used the same tricks used in car rads, so it  should not be noticeable upgrade thermally to get all copper.

On 5/28/2020 at 1:32 AM, AnthonyPaull said:

I purchased my watercooling hardware recently and due to a misclick I thought the radiator I had purchased was copper. Unfortunately it was not. Rad is the Thermaltake RL360, block is the Corsair XC7.

I am using a premix fluid from EKWB that is advertised as corrosion resistant, but I think galvanic corrosion may unfortunately still occur. Is this correct? Does the fact that the alu is a nickel alloy help at all, and if so how long will I be OK for before permanent damage to the rad? As I understand the block would only be a problem if the corrosion caused particles to enter the water and get stuck in the fins, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

If I'm changing anything it will be the rad, as I would prefer copper for the marginally better heat transfer anyway.

Thanks guys in advance

You want to replace that rad, it's a zinc aluminium alloy which will corrode away and also discolor the fluid. Others have had similar issues before where they unknowingly used the thermal take rad that was not copper based. With the proper fluid, a specific concentration of polypropylene or ethylene glycol it will prevent it from occur as fast. 

EKWB's fluid is designed has additive to prevent corrosion and growth but not specifically designed to take a mixed metal loop.