Trying To Learn Java

Nort

I'm completely new to programming except for messing around with Lua, which as I've learned, is child's play compared to Java. Anyways a couple of days ago I started to watch TheNewBoston's videos, however, by the time I get to the next video I've already forgotten everything. What I am wondering is if it'd be a good idea to get a list of functions for Java and start to write simple codes. I seem to learn better when I do things for myself, but I'm not sure if this is the best way to learn.

Any advice is appreciated!

The best way to approach java is to learn the basic functions like printing strings on the console and accepting numbers, floating points and strings from the console. Do basic programs like

1) Accept a string and print the length, and palindrome of it. Also convert the string to uppercase and lowercase.

2) Accept an integer and print its every digit in reverse on a new line.

3) Print the first 10 prime numbers.

Etc.

Once you get the hang of working with variables move on to objects and classes.

I would recommend that you buy a java beginners book and read. If you don't want to buy a book you could learn the basics from websites. I recommend http://www.roseindia.net/java/beginners/

That website will clear your basics and will guide you step by step. Try out the programs listed in it. It doesn't matter even if you copy paste it.

If you do face a problem in Java, just post here. The community would be happy to help you.:)

Abhinav

look at http://www.codecademy.com/

they do almost every form of programming and its free, just make an acc find the course u want and it will walk you through everything

Character artist in the Games industry.

One good way is too set small projects for your self to do and while you do them you will slowly pick everything up but it will take time. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions I know java.

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/

This is a complete guide which is written by the people who created Java in the first place.  It explains things really in-depth, and for object-oriented concepts it uses real-world examples. To retain the information, don't just copy and paste the sample code. Type it all out yourself, but never make it exactly the same. Challenge yourself to use all of the concepts you know until you've got them mastered. That doesn't mean memorizing every single method's name, or every single package, as it's OK to Google those. (EX: How to use sockets in Java) All you need to focus on memorizing is the core syntax of the language. Then, as you use it more and more, the rest will just be "picked up".

This is a complete guide which is written by the people who created Java in the first place.  It explains things really in-depth, and for object-oriented concepts it uses real-world examples. To retain the information, don't just copy and paste the sample code. Type it all out yourself, but never make it exactly the same. Challenge yourself to use all of the concepts you know until you've got them mastered. That doesn't mean memorizing every single method's name, or every single package, as it's OK to Google those. (EX: How to use sockets in Java) All you need to focus on memorizing is the core syntax of the language. Then, as you use it more and more, the rest will just be "picked up".

This! Couldn't have said it better!

Thanks, a text based tutorial is a lot better. I always found going back to see something I missed in a video to be a pain.

I'm completely new to programming except for messing around with Lua, which as I've learned, is child's play compared to Java. Anyways a couple of days ago I started to watch TheNewBoston's videos, however, by the time I get to the next video I've already forgotten everything. What I am wondering is if it'd be a good idea to get a list of functions for Java and start to write simple codes. I seem to learn better when I do things for myself, but I'm not sure if this is the best way to learn.

Any advice is appreciated!

Hey man. My advice would be to take your own advice, go through the videos and for each new topic create a new project incorporating as much of previous tutorials as possible. This is what I did for most of the languages I learned, I think its called setting a goal or a challenge. Think of an application that will utilize the topic of the video and try creating it. Another thing might be to create multiple different projects around a couple video topics and only move on when you have it down completely. I also learn better when doing things and I have always tried creating something in my spare time and learning new things etc. I find it easy to attempt to make something then when I run into trouble or get stuck I Google. Also for those suggesting new sites to use, I think thenewboston is great place. Code academy personally never flowed with me.

One good way is too set small projects for your self to do and while you do them you will slowly pick everything up but it will take time. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions I know java.

This! And catman232 has a great point too. I learned some Java in school, but what really pushed my abilities beyond anything that was taught was creating increasingly difficult little projects for myself. It really helps to know syntax and the logic of how the code works, because as you get more comfortable with that, you'll both be able to find new ways of doing previous projects more efficiently, as well as being able to take on new things!

If you like, as well, once you've started getting some knowledge down from the site catman232 posted, for example, take examples off any of the sites anyone else posted in this thread, and do them yourself without looking at how they did it!

It's all about practice, and failing first, then hammering it out, before looking and how it's done by someone else. Java is one of those things you learn best by just hammering through it, finding creative ways to answer problems, then finding new methods or functions, and then realizing how to refine things you've already done in future projects. 

Good luck!

Buy 'Head First With Java' its alright and most of my 1st year uni programming classes were based off of it.

I'm just a soul who is up to no good.

Buy 'Head First With Java' its alright and most of my 1st year uni programming classes were based off of it.

After that you might want to check out 'Head First Design Patterns'. It has design solutions for many kinds of problems.

After that you might want to check out 'Head First Design Patterns'. It has design solutions for many kinds of problems.

Yea a half of a class i did this year (4th) called 'Software Architecture and Design' was based upon that booked. Design patterns are good too know, especially the common ones like MVC, ect.

I'm just a soul who is up to no good.

look at http://www.codecademy.com/

they do almost every form of programming and its free, just make an acc find the course u want and it will walk you through everything

I really like the way this site works, it's too bad it doesn't teach Java. On that note, would Python be a better language to start with or should I stick with Java?

I think you'll like this site too. http://www.learnjavaonline.org/

This site looks promising. :)

I really like the way this site works, it's too bad it doesn't teach Java. On that note, would Python be a better language to start with or should I stick with Java?

I would start with Python because it teaches you conventions. There is also an interactive site for python. http://www.learnpython.org/

Do you want to know what grinds my gears?
The old forum.

• 1 month later...

java(oracle) has their own tutorial ive started it the other day its pretty simple but i have absolutely no idea if anything better exists

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/

if its better than the oracle tutorial then ill use it

Use www.codeacademy.com

Codecademy has JavaScript and jQuery... not exactly Java.

catman232 has the best answer for this topic.

~meOw! Σ:3