Server Upgrade

Hi guys

I am looking for some advice on what is the best upgrades for my server as it is really suffering now here are the specs of it currently

Thanks in advance

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Get two cheap 12c Xeons (under $50 each), OC them (if you can).

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Get two cheap 12c Xeons (under $50 each), OC them (if you can).

Thanks for the advice just looked on amazon and found this

Capture.PNG

suffering how exactly?

depending on the workload.. there' a whole bunch of different options here.

Just now, manikyath said:

suffering how exactly?

depending on the workload.. there' a whole bunch of different options here.

this server is running 4 VM's, web server Mail server, plex and active directory. we are also expecting to add a further 2 VM's in the near future

Suffering when doing what? Something single-threaded or something multi-threaded? If single threaded look for CPUs with a higher boost clock. If multi-threaded pick up some CPUs with more cores.

Personally I'd step up to LGA2011. The E5-2670 or if you have the bucks the E5-2690. Same number of cores/threads as you have now but newer architecture, higher base/boost clock, it's a single package so all the cores can share data faster, and you could reuse your RAM.

5 minutes ago, matthewb987 said:

Capture.PNG

Ebay.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, matthewb987 said:

this server is running 4 VM's, web server Mail server, plex and active directory. we are also expecting to add a further 2 VM's in the near future

So plex likes single core performance which is not going to get much better on that platform. What is the server lacking? Not really enough information.

When 100 phone load from all the m's CEU is at 98% average and memory is the vote 27  Gigabyte use

25 minutes ago, matthewb987 said:

Capture.PNG

Easy there, hotshot. These don't even fit the socket you're running. What server are you using? If possible, you may be able to run a pair of X5675's (I run a single X5670.) If your system can't do 95 W CPU's, then you're even further limited. X5670's are cheap on ebay, if your system supports them.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

Sorry just noticed my last post made no sense as used voice input it meant to say

Cpu at 100% when all 4 vms are in use and ram is using about 27gb of the 28 we have installed 

13 hours ago, svmlegacy said:

Easy there, hotshot. These don't even fit the socket you're running. What server are you using? If possible, you may be able to run a pair of X5675's (I run a single X5670.) If your system can't do 95 W CPU's, then you're even further limited. X5670's are cheap on ebay, if your system supports them.

The server is running is a hp pro liant 

Edited by matthewb987
Take photo down

1 hour ago, matthewb987 said:

Sorry just noticed my last post made no sense as used voice input it meant to say

Cpu at 100% when all 4 vms are in use and ram is using about 27gb of the 28 we have installed 

What upgrade budget do you have? Might be time to replace the whole server if it's a proprietary form-factor.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

What upgrade budget do you have? Might be time to replace the whole server if it's a proprietary form-factor.

We have no set budget but new server sounds like a lot more than i was expecting what would you recommend for upgrading to

3 minutes ago, matthewb987 said:

We have no set budget but new server sounds like a lot more than i was expecting what would you recommend for upgrading to

I think it's a better course of action as oppose to trying to upgrade an already very old server for modern purposes.

I already made a hardware suggestion:

This is still old/EOL but it's more efficient and more powerful than LGA1366. You should have plenty of room to expand your VMs using it.

2 hours ago, matthewb987 said:

The server is running is a hp pro liant

You might want to take this picture down. That's some pretty personal stuff to the server.

I have an HP ProLiant DL380 G6. I haven't tried the X5675, but I know that anything with a higher TDP, it won't start. Other versions of the ProLiant might not be able to take the X series' TDP.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64