i9-9900KS was melting VRMs, so I went Team Red

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

Oh it's so single rank 

I thought both kits were single and so technically would have been just a slight difference but NVM that's worth it 

Yea I agree 

Working with ram and the imc and the interconnect with ryzen is a pain

I personally find it fun and interesting just trying to figure out which corner is bottlenecking the other but I can see how it can be annoying

Yea that I just found this out 

I remember when zen 2 came out there were some complaints about ccxs and core arrangements and one of the fixes was to enable CCPC

And it worked for the most part no stuttery 1% lows no nothing

But maybe once the patches got better the better cores got arranged more equally through the ccxs  or something

Or it straight up just was the case with more multi tasking work loads like streaming a video on discord

I wonder if it is better to enable CPPC on like a 3900x where the single ccxs hold way more cores than let's say a 3600

A 3900X is basically two 3600X's on one package; 3+3 & 3+3

CPPC Prefered Cores works well for a single program which uses only a couple of threads, they get locked to the fastest cores on the fastest ccx, no latency from them hopping around. You'll get better performance from it having higher boost clocks on those cores.

The issue is that as soon as you get into things that use many more threads, or multi tasking with more than one thing running at a time, they all get bunched together and choke up on that single ccx. So for my work, it's best to keep it off. Might see lower single thread performance, but unless you're actually 100%ing a single thread, it's not going to matter.

The only time you'll see that is in synthetic benchmarks. My CPU lost a whole 2 points in Cinebench single thread by disabling it. consistent 206 score to now a 204 score. It'll make more of a difference on CPUs where some cores clock significantly higher than others (mine all hit 4.4 except for 2 which hit 4.375 - they will do 4.4 too but only after coaxing them out lol), but even from watching it hop around, it never hops to either of those two slowest cores, windows seems to know what it's doing for once!

It didn't affect multi-core score in cinebench at all, still hits 1660-1665, but now I consistently see better utilisation across all cores when doing encodes using ffmpeg etc and they are running faster too, surpassing speeds that the 9900KS managed whilst that was melting the VRM, and coming close to it when the VRM was under control.

Now.. what do i have that i can sell to get that ram bought before the offer ends... xD oh yes.. an i9-9900KS and a motherboard that isn't safe to put it in lmao

9 minutes ago, ValkyrieStar said:

Now.. what do i have that i can sell to get that ram bought before the offer ends... xD oh yes.. an i9-9900KS and a motherboard that isn't safe to put it in lmao

Oh melting vrms 

The 9900ks truly exceeded my expectations 🤣

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: