XPS 9500 processor options

Hello everyone! First post on LTT!

I am stressing on my new laptop configuration. I plan to purchase the new XPS 15 9500. While choosing the specs, I have the option between a i7 with 6 cores or a i7 with 8 cores. I do a little bit of everything on the laptop except gaming (I have a desktop for that).

Other than every day personal use:

Photoshop/Illustrator

Some basic Premiere

Large spreadsheets

Microsoft Access

Website Design

Rhino 6 CAD

Always running these apps in the background:

Windows Sandbox or Hyper-V

Facebook Messenger

Spotify

Chrome

Microsoft Outlook

I want the i7 with 8 cores, but I assume that more cores will create more heat and it will cause the 8 core CPU to thermal throttle quicker. So in reality the i7 with 6 cores will be faster? Or should I expect similar temperatures? I know there is also more cache on the i7 with 8 cores, is that reason enough to upgrade the processor? I hope I make sense and any feedback is appreciated. Thank you!

10th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-10750H (12MB Cache, up to 5.0 GHz, 6 cores)

10th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-10875H (16MB Cache, up to 5.1 GHz, 8 cores)

This is the rest of the configuration I am planning to get with the laptop:
16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2933MHz
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 Ti 4GB GDDR6 with Max-Q
15.6" FHD+ (1920 x 1200) InfinityEdge Non-Touch Anti-Glare 500-Nit Display
Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2x2) and Bluetooth 5.0
6-Cell Battery, 86WHr (Integrated)

1 minute ago, Sonic8bit said:

I want the i7 with 8 cores, but I assume that more cores will create more heat and it will cause the 8 core CPU to thermal throttle quicker. So in reality the i7 with 6 cores will be faster? Or should I expect similar temperatures? I know there is also more cache on the i7 with 8 cores, is that reason enough to upgrade the processor? I hope I make sense and any feedback is appreciated. Thank you!

normally more cores clocked a bit slower is faster if you can use the cores.

but what are you using it for? id save the money  and get the 6 core.

11 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

normally more cores clocked a bit slower is faster if you can use the cores.

but what are you using it for? id save the money  and get the 6 core.

Other than every day personal use:

Photoshop/Illustrator

Some basic Premiere

Large spreadsheets

Microsoft Access

Website Design

Rhino 6 CAD

Always running these apps in the background:

Windows Sandbox or Hyper-V

Facebook Messenger

Spotify

Chrome

Microsoft Outlook

Depends on what you're using it for which would be the most worth it for you. If you are just using it for schoolwork or basic document creation, just basic computer uses either would be entirely overkill. I would look for a model that does not have  a dedicated GPU if it is not needed, you can still get an i7 6 or 8 core with 16GB of memory but if you don't plan on using it for gaming or workstation work getting one with dedicated GPU is just a waste of money. Get one with the same specs but without the dedicated GPU for cheaper. But if you need it then that's a different story.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

I would suggest waiting for reviews first if you're really set on XPS 15 9500. Cooling is a big issue in XPS 15 for years

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

7 hours ago, genexis_x said:

I would suggest waiting for reviews first if you're really set on XPS 15 9500. Cooling is a big issue in XPS 15 for years

Unfortunately my Surface Pro died last week (the only USB port ins't working). That's the only reason I am rushing. I know LTT is working on a review for the laptop, but I have no idea when that is coming out. I assume there will be heat issues based on previous models, along pretty much any slim laptop.

I am willing to spend the extra 100 dollars on the 8 core processor but I am not sure if the 8 core would generate more heat than the 6 core. If they are both generating the same heat, then I might as well get the 8 core. Do more cores generate more heat? They both have about the same clock speed (5.0 GHz vs 5.1 GHz).