Questions about latency on online game

Sophia Loren

So i have been playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and i have faced different latency on different setting. But i do not understand or know the main reason. So i have got ryzen 5 3600 with rtx 2060 and 16 gigs 3200mhz ram. So my system handles the game pretty well. Big problem is the monitor. I have got 75hz monitor atm. Also my net speed is up to 100 mbps both download and upload. My latency stays most days at 60-75ms. So my problem is when i play the game on optimize setting recommended by Nvidia or play on High setting at 1080p, it feels slow. By slow i mean i am seeing them slow or in delay. When enemy kills me and i watch the kill cam. It shows they were faster than me. But when i lower my settings i feel same as others and do well on the game too. Also even on high settings my latency doesn't change. So i don't think it's the internet. I just can't  figure it out why i get that delay on high settings. Most probably the monitor ? then why it doesn't occur on low settings. I hope someone can help me understand it. I just want to play the game in high settings without facing any delays. Thanks!

Your PC hardware mostly has next to no effect on latency. Crappy LAN chip, maybe partially. The most is the quality of your ISP and distance from servers. For example, I'm sort of lucky that my ISP has very good latency, especially on optical line and most servers are located in Germany, France, Spain, Italy or UK being "far away" so I'm in close proximity to most relevant servers. Russia and US are usually in 60-80ms range and more so I only play there if there is no other servers closer.

Most games offer ping filtering of servers, lower ping usually means server geologically closer to you. And thus better experience.

Jast bad frame rates with high settings?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Framerate, vsync, fps limiters and prerendered frames setting all affect input latency. Also the killcam in cod is misleading a bit so the more you die the more you see it and the more you notice inaccuracies.

4 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Your PC hardware mostly has next to no effect on latency. Crappy LAN chip, maybe partially. The most is the quality of your ISP and distance from servers. For example, I'm sort of lucky that my ISP has very good latency, especially on optical line and most servers are located in Germany, France, Spain, Italy or UK being "far away" so I'm in close proximity to most relevant servers. Russia and US are usually in 60-80ms range and more so I only play there if there is no other servers closer.

Most games offer ping filtering of servers, lower ping usually means server geologically closer to you. And thus better experience.

yes, i understand that. My ping always stays around 60-70ms. So it's pretty decent ping. Even on high setting it stays the same. So why does my game feels delay while on high settings. I experimented this many times and my game just loads faster on low settings. But on high settings it gives me delays thus it takes me more time to engage my in game enemy's. Is there any way i can bench mark this to test which setting cost more delays. like the utubers does. Thanks. 

4 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

Jast bad frame rates with high settings?

no idea. i even capped my fps on the game setting. But vsync off and free sync on on the monitor. With high settings i can totally feel the delay. It's like i miss some fps. Enemy just jumps out on my face. But with low settings everything runs well and i do pretty well too. 

1 hour ago, ion1 said:

Framerate, vsync, fps limiters and prerendered frames setting all affect input latency. Also the killcam in cod is misleading a bit so the more you die the more you see it and the more you notice inaccuracies.

yes i understand. I watched a lot of videos on utube regarding the input lags. I even capped my fps on game settings and turn off vsync and also turn on the free sync on the monitor to reduce input lag. I also felt like it does well when i capped the fps to 100+. When i play on high settings i somehow feel the delay and miss the fps or something. Sometimes enemy's just jumps out on my face and before i can engage i get killed. But with low settings i do pretty well and it runs well too. So it could be my internet. Even tho my hardware can handle the high settings but maybe cause my net downloads or upload takes more time cause of high settings thus giving me the delays and bad frame rates. But the ping is same so i got confused. If its the net then why is the ping the same. 

7 minutes ago, Sophia Loren said:

no idea. i even capped my fps on the game setting. But vsync off and free sync on on the monitor. With high settings i can totally feel the delay. It's like i miss some fps. Enemy just jumps out on my face. But with low settings everything runs well and i do pretty well too. 

is memory running 3200MHz now and in dual channel? I'm not aware of different settings affect input lag without affecting frame rates.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

is memory running 3200MHz now and in dual channel? I'm not aware of different settings affect input lag without affecting frame rates.

yes they are running at 3200mhz on dual channel. could it be my internet. with high settings it needs more download and upload speed than it does on low settings. So even tho the ping is the same it takes a bit more time to transfer the data. 

Just now, Sophia Loren said:

yes they are running at 3200mhz on dual channel. could it be my internet. with high settings it needs more download and upload speed than it does on low settings. So even tho the ping is the same it takes a bit more time to transfer the data. 

no it wont download and upload more, all the data that affects gameplay are transfered regardless of settings and those that dont are only shown locally

Desktop benching:

4 minutes ago, Sophia Loren said:

yes i understand. I watched a lot of videos on utube regarding the input lags. I even capped my fps on game settings and turn off vsync and also turn on the free sync on the monitor to reduce input lag. I also felt like it does well when i capped the fps to 100+. When i play on high settings i somehow feel the delay and miss the fps or something. Sometimes enemy's just jumps out on my face and before i can engage i get killed. But with low settings i do pretty well and it runs well too. So it could be my internet. Even tho my hardware can handle the high settings but maybe cause my net downloads or upload takes more time cause of high settings thus giving me the delays and bad frame rates. But the ping is same so i got confused. If its the net then why is the ping the same. 

On high settings you get lower framerate. That means more delay between each frame rendered. Inconsistency in frametimes can mess your aim too so sometimes it's better to cap fps even if it adds lag. I play on mostly low settings with 2060 super just textures and aa high. It shouldn't affect your internet tho.

2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

no it wont download and upload more, all the data that affects gameplay are transfered regardless of settings and those that dont are only shown locally

that's what i thought and just can't figure out why it takes more time to show on high settings. 

2 minutes ago, ion1 said:

On high settings you get lower framerate. That means more delay between each frame rendered. Inconsistency in frametimes can mess your aim too so sometimes it's better to cap fps even if it adds lag. I play on mostly low settings with 2060 super just textures and aa high. It shouldn't affect your internet tho.

yes that's why i capped my fps with in game settings too. maybe on high settings i should lower the capped fps since it could render even low fps than the limited fps. i just want to play on high settings but due to the delay i can't play as well as i can play on low settings. So i just end up lowering my settings to win the matches etc. 

5 minutes ago, TheBritishVillain said:

I'm a COD Veteran and it's the franchise that I play every year.

I also went out of my way to ensure the least input lag and latency as possible whilst gaming; especially on COD. 

Here's a few things first:

-Latency in game at 60-75ms will be solely down to your broadband. Not necessarily download speed or connection status (although they may be causing issues too) but your ping. Use this website to see what your ping is: https://www.speedtest.net/

If it is a high ping (above 10ms) then I would suggest switching broadband provider or moving. 

-Make sure V-Sync is off. Not only in-game but also on the Nvidia control panel. Including a few other settings. Here are a few of my settings so you have an idea however I have a few things on to improve graphical performance too.

nvidia.png

-Check the input lag of your monitor. The monitor I use is 1ms so it's fast as fuck with 240Hz because I like fast responses in-game. You won't notice much of a difference if your monitor is around 8ms and under, however I would certainly suggest upgrading to at least a 1080p 120Hz monitor with -5ms as soon as you can if you play a lot of FPS games like me.

-Your mouse also has input lag. I now use a wireless 1ms mouse that cost me £129.99. If you use KB/M over a controller then I would also look to upgrade that.

I'm happy to help though, feel free to PM me if you need anymore advice.

thanks i also have been researching a lot online for the best settings for this game. I will definitely try your settings to see if they helps with these issues. And yes i definitely should upgrade my monitor. It's holding me back on this fps games with the latencys.