is fan controlling necessary?

OneManCruel

can somebody tell me the ups and downs of using a fan controller?

thanks alot

Having a quiet system while doing light work and having more airflow while doing intensive work and you have control of your fans.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

Pros:

You have complete control of the fans in your system, on a cool day you could turn them right down or even off completely (for case fans).

You can adjust the acoustics on your system.

A lot of controllers have temp probes so you can check the temps at a glance and control the fans accordingly

Cons:

You have to manually turn them up or down (with 99% of controllers)

No software fan curve control; Not automatic

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Buy quiet fans set them up with molex off the power supply , use speed reducers where necessary

fan controllers are a total waste of time  

all fans are controlled with a switch or two. 

Simple   -no messing around with adapters or mobo software to make your system quieter or cooler

Necessary? 

no. just buy good fans that are quiet. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

can somebody tell me the ups and downs of using a fan controller?

thanks alot

Pros:

You have complete control of the fans in your system, on a cool day you could turn them right down or even off completely (for case fans).

You can adjust the acoustics on your system.

A lot of controllers have temp probes so you can check the temps at a glance and control the fans accordingly

Cons:

You have to manually turn them up or down (with 99% of controllers)

No software fan curve control; Not automatic

i'd like to add:

pros: some controllers offer automatic control, but limited.

cons: another failure point added to cooling system, some controllers have a POST test which causes fan roar.

buying the right fans and running them 24/7 12v, 7v or 5v from PSU

I just use mb fan control 90% of the time.

I just use mb fan control 90% of the time.

So do I, it's much better IMO (unless you have a huge amount of fans)

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

So do I, it's much better IMO (unless you have a huge amount of fans)

Is 14 a huge amount of fans?

Is 14 a huge amount of fans?

Just a little bit hahaha. A bit too much for motherboard control

I have loud and cheap fans so I only turn them on while gaming or other tasks that heat up my system.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Just a little bit hahaha. A bit too much for motherboard control

Nope I have 6 on cpu an 8 on cpu opt with no problems. Swiftech's splitter made it easy an clean.

Nope I have 6 on cpu an 8 on cpu opt with no problems. Swiftech's splitter made it easy an clean.

My saying. PWM is a way better solution that voltage control, it changes on-the-fly, automatic, and you can set up individual fan curves.

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

i use the fan controller in my phantom and i love it 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

All I have to say is wow!..  :o

I didn't even know motherboard headers could power 8 fans!  :blink:

The splitter has supplemental power from a SATA power cable.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

My saying. PWM is a way better solution that voltage control, it changes on-the-fly, automatic, and you can set up individual fan curves.

yep!

Its not powering any of them with the motherboard, just controlling then with PWM. The Swiftech splitter powers then directly with 12v off the PSU.

finally a splitter that doesnt use molex, where can i buy one? make use of my redundant sata power connectors

You can get one from FrozenCPU.

some fans like the air penetrator have this 5v 7v 12v connector. makes life easier.

but hey just grab some quite fans and be done with it.

Live your life like a dream.

This is why you never complain about fans in the air cooling section..

Why's that and who's complaining?

some fans like the air penetrator have this 5v 7v 12v connector. makes life easier.

but hey just grab some quite fans and be done with it.

I never saw the point in that unless you know for sure that the max rpm on that slower fan will be enough in all situations for your application. The only time I bought a slower fan was for my ITX build when I got the Gentle Typhoon High Speeds. I went with the 3000rpm instead of the 4200rpm. That was also after a great deal of research.

Why's that and who's complaining?

I never saw the point in that unless you know for sure that the max rpm on that slower fan will be enough in all situations for your application. The only time I bought a slower fan was for my ITX build when I got the Gentle Typhoon High Speeds. I went with the 3000rpm instead of the 4200rpm. That was also after a great deal of research.

some people just love to slap it in and forget about it.

I my self prefer to have a fan controller I use the nzxt sentry LX (non LXE) was doing good for me for the sale price I bought it. but ever since I bought the air penetrator fans for my soon to be water cooled rig (but now I just slapped em to my 900D) I just connected them to 7V and be done with it. I'll worry about them next time once my tubes and 2nd rad arrive.

Live your life like a dream.

I hooked up all 3 fans for my system to the built in fan controller in my R4. I really like being able to set them at a set voltage, 5v, 7v or 12v, since this allows my system to be near silent when I'm browsing or I leave it on overnight for large downloads, and then I can turn them up when I play with my headphones on.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS