Asus B550 Motherboards to include USB-C audio ports

Here's the link for Asus' B550 motherboard page. They all redirect to the B550-E (ATX) version right now, hopefully the individual pages will be up later.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B550-E-GAMING/specifications/

Overall question if you don't want to read: Will this revive the USB-C audio market? Because I would love that.

I've been closely following b550 motherboard news because I'm dying to build a smaller PC (hopefully in the NZXT H1) for college. Separately, my on-ear headphones broke recently, so I'm poking around for a new headset. I saw the little note in the specs sheet for the Asus ROG STRIX B550-E that it'll have a USB-C audio port. (Sidenote: I was the theatre tech sound engineer in high school, so I get excited about audio way too easily).

Naturally, I went searching around the web for USB-C audio solutions because 3.5 mm jacks have been more or less phased out of mainstream electronics. I found a haphazard jumble of options, none of which seemed terribly exciting or price-efficient. I was really hoping the new Microsoft Surface Headphones 2 would have USB-C audio, but it's not mentioned on their website or in reviews online.

Here's the opportunity I see in USB-C headphones: USB-C can deliver audio and power, meaning a wireless headset with USB-C charging AND audio could serve as the ultimate daily driver. You could plug the headphones in while using your PC, charge them, use them, then unplug them and use them wireless at work or school. That seems like the peak of usability, plus that versatility would expand the market for such a headset.

Would LTT making a video about the state of USB-C audio (and its benefits and deficits) encourage audio manufacturers to revitalize that market? Does LTT even hold that much sway in the eyes of manufacturers? Do I have any idea if anyone from LMG will see this? Am I just a brand-new forum user with big aspirations? This and more, at 11.

-Tardigrades

Here's a couple pictures from Asus' site:

image.thumb.png.a04ba71eaba98d94eedf6be63a938d47.png

image.thumb.png.59ba074a811bd10d60ad0de7dd1c8b8b.png

2 hours ago, tardigrades said:

Here's the link for Asus' B550 motherboard page. They all redirect to the B550-E (ATX) version right now, hopefully the individual pages will be up later.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B550-E-GAMING/specifications/

Overall question if you don't want to read: Will this revive the USB-C audio market? Because I would love that.

I've been closely following b550 motherboard news because I'm dying to build a smaller PC (hopefully in the NZXT H1) for college. Separately, my on-ear headphones broke recently, so I'm poking around for a new headset. I saw the little note in the specs sheet for the Asus ROG STRIX B550-E that it'll have a USB-C audio port. (Sidenote: I was the theatre tech sound engineer in high school, so I get excited about audio way too easily).

Naturally, I went searching around the web for USB-C audio solutions because 3.5 mm jacks have been more or less phased out of mainstream electronics. I found a haphazard jumble of options, none of which seemed terribly exciting or price-efficient. I was really hoping the new Microsoft Surface Headphones 2 would have USB-C audio, but it's not mentioned on their website or in reviews online.

3.5mm headphone jack is far from going away. Only premium smartphone devices has it removed and Apple. 

It will remain in the mainstream for a long time. Don't forget that all computer speakers and most headphones, all are using the 3.5mm connector.

Also, I don't see the benefit of USB Audio on a desktop computer. I mean.

• If you care about audio. You'll have an external DAC or dedicated sound card.
  • Many headsets on the PC are USB powered, where they have their own, superior to onboard, DAC+amp.
  • No headphones or earphones worth your time is availible in USB Type-C.
  • Quality headphones and speakers (well, heck, 99% all of them, make that 100% for those that worth considering) are on 3.5mm or 6.35 mm (1⁄4 inch) as they don't want to replace your sound system, and doesn't try to do something that they have no or little expertise in, and let you pick your sound solution that best fit your taste.

So why would you use it? Also, it is poorly located behind the system... so each time you have to go back of your PC to plug it and unplug it if you have want to use them somewhere else.

To me, it is one of those, let's scratch the bottom of teh bucket for features. I think motherboard manufacture can do better. Like putting a sound chip that cost more than 0.50$ on their most premium board, to ACTUALLY deliver superior sound. If you say that it sounds fine, then you have no idea how sound can sound better. You don't need a special ears, or audiophile equipement or something fancy. Anything is a notable step up. From hearing more simultaneous sounds in games, to better sound separation between frequency, or richer more lively sounding experience.

Microsoft Surface Headphones 1 and 2 USB port is for charging and firmware update only.

Here's the opportunity I see in USB-C headphones: USB-C can deliver audio and power, meaning a wireless headset with USB-C charging AND audio could serve as the ultimate daily driver.

Or you know... get power from USB to not only charge, but also power, and continue to get the audio through Bluetooth. No need to play with audio sources on your device that way.

You could plug the headphones in while using your PC, charge them, use them, then unplug them and use them wireless at work or school. That seems like the peak of usability, plus that versatility would expand the market for such a headset.

Surface Headphone 2 (forgot if the 1 has it), support 2 devices connection. The headphones will auto switch between Bluetooth audio source it gets near instantly. Logitech MX Master computer speaker also has this features. I am sure other headphones or earphones have something similar.

For me, I would like to see more USB Type-C connectors on the back, instead of USB Audio.

That's all true. I guess I was imagining a world without 3rd-party DACs. I thought the idea of a built-in DAC to reduce possibilities of noise was cool, especially if manufacturers like Sennheiser and Audiotechnica picked it up. (USB-C runs digital audio, which is converted in the cable, so the analog travel length is significantly lower and there's much less noise)

Maybe bluetooth latency will decrease enough that wireless vs. wired audio latency becomes a non-issue.

Thanks for the info, GoodBytes. Ultimately, do you think USB-C audio is a bit of a pipe dream?

1 hour ago, tardigrades said:

That's all true. I guess I was imagining a world without 3rd-party DACs.

Well, we have it.. its onboard sound solution. It's shit, but as long as most people don't care about it or fall for branded sound enhancement (basically an EQ) codecs, they won't put fancy sound chip. Maybe, once the RGB craze is over, money will moved there. But anyways, for now, while I am no audio expert, or up-to-date on DAC options, I am sure/ there must be: a powered USB one that is small enough to hide in some fashion in the case you are considering or behind where it won't be too visible but easy to access to unplug your headphones, if you go wired.

I thought the idea of a built-in DAC to reduce possibilities of noise was cool, especially if manufacturers like Sennheiser and Audiotechnica picked it up. (USB-C runs digital audio, which is converted in the cable, so the analog travel length is significantly lower and there's much less noise)

We have that. That is how USB headsets work. USB Type-C Audio is really analog signals over USB. And that is bad because you are passing audio right next to power lines of USB, which can cause interferes which can be audible. What you describe, where the DAC+Amp is in the cable or headphones, those, should work on any USB Type-C plug, they work like a USB Type-A headset, just Type-C.

So to recap:

• You have USB Type-C Audio, which is just analogue audio being passed through a USB Type-C connector instead of the 3.5mm jack. The on board sound chip does all the work, and so the sound will not be superior from using 3.5mm plug.
  • You have USB Type-A/C headphones/headset, which are headphones/headset with a built-in DAC and amplifier.

Maybe bluetooth latency will decrease enough that wireless vs. wired audio latency becomes a non-issue.

You do have AptX Low Latency by Qualcomm. You need a supported transceiver (Bluetooth chip in the system) and receiver (headphones), where they both support it. But yea, its not yet hit the masses yet.

Thanks for the info, GoodBytes. Ultimately, do you think USB-C audio is a bit of a pipe dream?

In my opinion, USB Type-C Audio is silly on paper. Maybe in practice it is better than I think. But I don't see the point of it on a motherboard. See, if it was on an external DAC, then you would have the superior sound quality, and it would ensure that no interference comes through (if there were a DAC with it, it will most likely just connect all the pins needed for audio out, and skip the data and power lines to avoid any possible problem.)

• 1 year later...

I think what's more important to point out here is that these are just USB 2.0 ports that use a USB-C interface.  Calling it "USB-C Audio" just confuses people and makes them think that perhaps that port will only work for an audio device.

Having only a Mini-ITX setup in an IQUNIX ZX-1 (which I adore) means I'm a bit down on ports compared to my older ATX build.  Knowing that I can put all my USB 2.0 devices on USB 2.0 ports (even if they are USB-C) means my motherboard back panel actually has almost as many ports available to me.