Ubisoft follows in Blizzards footsteps with TOS changes you may not know about

Purzifal

So a video popped up in my Youtube feed from Upper Echelon Gamers titled "Ubisoft Owns Your Soul - Terms of Service Update"

From what he is talking about it looks like Ubisoft is copying Blizzard with "any content you make we own" and more basically the same crap Blizzard added into the Warcraft 3 ToS. So I went and checked and this is kinda in the UK ToS but parts are missing especially using content like fideos that contain your likeness without requiring your permission as that would be in breach of GDPR. I happen to have actually read GDPR legislation all the way though due to my photography hobby.

Is it me or is this sort of thing overstepping? what if someone makes a mod using their own assets but has legally copy-written them prior to releasing the mod? be it a character or song or even photographs

The section that is in question is the following that i have screen shot (of the US version) but can be found here:

US https://legal.ubi.com/termsofuse/en-US#ubi_mceLegalContentIndex_5 

UK : https://legal.ubi.com/termsofuse/en-GB#ubi_mceLegalContentIndex_10

image.png.515a0ca0e7a667ef46cfe4a7bc8ac7b9.png

1 hour ago, CAProjects said:

So a video popped up in my Youtube feed from Upper Echelon Gamers titled "Ubisoft Owns Your Soul - Terms of Service Update"

I think it exists, because if they didn't have that term, you could charge them for using your copyrighted material.  As you say, if you make something with your own assets and then put them in the game, and that is then used by other people using the game through the tools created by the developer for that purpose, they have therefore technically used your created content.

I think this simply covers them from your complaining about that.

It is funny that s.12 is very different to s.6 in the US, I also know GDPR quite well, and I can see why they limited it to 'service' rather than perpetuity as in the US.