Help creating a website

Hi,

I need help trying to make a forum website. It needs to be free, but I already have invision community if that helps. I tried to install it but I keep getting problems and give up 5 minutes later. I have a domain and host (host is infinityfree). Just need to deploy the actual website. My problem right now is uploading the files as the ftp connection keeps crashing or disconnecting. 

Please tag me @Windows9 so I can see your reply

8 hours ago, Windows9 said:

Hi,

I need help trying to make a forum website. It needs to be free, but I already have invision community if that helps. I tried to install it but I keep getting problems and give up 5 minutes later. I have a domain and host (host is infinityfree). Just need to deploy the actual website. My problem right now is uploading the files as the ftp connection keeps crashing or disconnecting. 

I'll probably be able to help you here, and share some knowledge at the same time.

Just now, AbsoluteFool said:

I'll probably be able to help you here, and share some knowledge at the same time.

Do you know why ftp upload keeps timing out and uploading so slowly

Just now, Windows9 said:

Do you know why ftp upload keeps timing out and uploading so slowly

That's a question with quite a bit variables. Can be your internet connection that's unstable. The host machine.

Or just many people uploading stuff at once to the host.

1 minute ago, AbsoluteFool said:

That's a question with quite a bit variables. Can be your internet connection that's unstable. The host machine.

Or just many people uploading stuff at once to the host

Internet is perfectly fine. Tries multiple times on different days, no progress

Just now, Windows9 said:

Internet is perfectly fine. Tries multiple times on different days, no progress

Have you tried the web ftp in cPanel? It's hard to give an answer without seeing what's going on.

Have you tried the web ftp in cPanel? It's hard to give an answer without seeing what's going on.

Tried that too. Do you want my cPanel login to have a look

Just now, Windows9 said:

Tried that too. Do you want my cPanel login to have a look

I don't think giving away login info is a good idea. What are you trying to upload? I might be able to help you with away around using ftp.

I am trying to upload invision community. I can change FTP password later

I don't think giving away login info is a good idea.

Just now, Windows9 said:

I am trying to upload invision community. I can change FTP password later

Is this a self-hosted lisence of invision? If so i don't have the files to upload. However i can give you some ftp details to one of my servers and you can see if the files will upload there before you give me anything?

It's typical that connection is slow and you have many problems when you trying to use free hosting. Use cheap one but paid - you can find some that costs under 10$ per year.

Unlimited everything for zero $ = problems.

11 hours ago, AbsoluteFool said:

Is this a self-hosted lisence of invision? If so i don't have the files to upload. However i can give you some ftp details to one of my servers and you can see if the files will upload there before you give me anything?

I have the files to upload, I can upload them to mega or something. I dont understand what your server will do, do you mean try hosting on your server

13 hours ago, AbsoluteFool said:

Is this a self-hosted lisence of invision?

What do you mean by self hosted. I basically got this .zip folder with an upload folder and an installation guide

With that type of problems there is not really good solution. You skips advices you don't like and focusing on non-important things. If you cannot upload your files (scripts) to server, then change server, find some really cheap one, buy one year subscription and everything starts working. Free servers have too many limitations.

Your using a free web host. I have never seen one that is reliable.

Security is usually non-existent on the host.

The low bandwidth tends to get overloaded, either from attacks, hosted malware, or a flood of users just accessing it. This is probably your timeout errors in ftp.

Server resources are usually so under-allocated, you will probably experience time outs on non static web pages.

Databases are highly unreliable when offered under them.

There are some ok hosts for around $5 a month, some fairly decent ones for around $100 - $150 a year. I would suggest going one of those routes instead.

19 hours ago, homeap5 said:

With that type of problems there is not really good solution. You skips advices you don't like and focusing on non-important things. If you cannot upload your files (scripts) to server, then change server, find some really cheap one, buy one year subscription and everything starts working. Free servers have too many limitations.

I'm kinda broke. £5 a moth is £60 a year, for that price I might as well just use wix

19 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

Your using a free web host. I have never seen one that is reliable.

Security is usually non-existent on the host.

The low bandwidth tends to get overloaded, either from attacks, hosted malware, or a flood of users just accessing it. This is probably your timeout errors in ftp.

Server resources are usually so under-allocated, you will probably experience time outs on non static web pages.

Databases are highly unreliable when offered under them.

There are some ok hosts for around $5 a month, some fairly decent ones for around $100 - $150 a year. I would suggest going one of those routes instead.

I'm only expecting going to get around 2k - 3k views a month. I was trying to make the full thing free, free domain, free host

2 hours ago, Windows9 said:

I'm kinda broke. £5 a moth is £60 a year, for that price I might as well just use wix

I know servers that costs 5 per year.

9 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

I know servers that costs 5 per year.

I want to try and stick with free for now. Once I start to make money from Google Adsense, I'll use a paid one

48 minutes ago, Windows9 said:

I want to try and stick with free for now. Once I start to make money from Google Adsense, I'll use a paid one

It's like "now I want to try just learn how to play guitar, I'll buy strings when I'll be good enough". You get nothing if your website will be unavailable or slow as hell.

32 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

It's like "now I want to try just learn how to play guitar, I'll buy strings when I'll be good enough". You get nothing if your website will be unavailable or slow as hell.

But when I use softaculous web installer for wordpress, it works fast, so it won't be slow. Only problem is that the wordpress forum plugin was tiny and there were 25% bezzles

Forum don't must be huge or complicated. Is better to have small forum with posts than huge forum with thousand sections contains zero posts. It's just don't look good.

Forum is for discussion, not for being complex for no reason.

7 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Forum don't must be huge or complicated. Is better to have small forum with posts than huge forum with thousand sections contains zero posts. It's just don't look good.

Forum is for discussion, not for being complex for no reason.

I mean screen size. Most of the screen is wasted with blank space