Infinite loop after boot and post... near desperation

Hi,

Have a 1 year old pc, never had any problems. Today it restarted on its own and i was never able to get it past the windows loading screen anymore.

Specs:

Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite
Ryzen 5 3600 with wraith prism cooler
2x 8gb hyperx ram
Sapphire nitro+ RX580

Thermaltake Berlin Pro 650W

What I checked/did:
- Cleaned out the system.
- Checked the cpu pins, reapplied thermal compound (all good)

- Test-benching mobo on non conducting surface
- Cleared cmos battery, then changed it.
- Checked ram sticks (good)

- Used multiple drives with win10 installations (none got past windows loading screen)
- Tried to boot fedora on usb, starts loading but somewhere in the middle system reboots
- Updated BIOS to latest firmware

- disabled automatic restart after system failure

... none of them worked.

I am able to reach windows repair, i tried booting safe mode but that also restarts before loading. I tried all OS media on another machine, i know they work. I though maybe the problem was a heating issue, so i left the system running in bios and in windows repair but it never restarts. Also added a big table ventilator aiming on the system to be sure. It only restarts when the OS starts loading and somewhere in the middle it restarts... Always connected via the graphics card and never had issues with the display, i am also able to reset/format a drive and reinstall windows on it but again it fails to get past the loading screen after install has completed. So i guess graphics card is also okay? The only thing i am able to think of is a bad mobo?

Also this could not have been at a worse time, because here in belgium our exams begin next week and i study software engineering... I need my pc :(

First, I always recommend trying to run the system on bare essentials: PSU, MOBO, OS Drive, CPU, 1 Stick of RAM at a time.

Now, it sounds like anytime your system goes under a semi-intensive load, it crashes. I had an identical issue earlier this year.

Could be:

1) Machine code errors on your CPU causing the failure. (Bad CPU)

2) PSU giving out under load. (Bad PSU)

Usually PSUs are the easiest to obtain locally, I would find one from a store that has at least a 30-day return policy. Carefully transplant it in your system and see if it works. If not? Return it. Then try doing the same with your CPU. If not local, Amazon has a good return policy.

Fortunately, my issue came from the PSU and was still covered under warranty. I was able to finish the entire RMA process before the 30-days ended and was able to use my computer the entire time.

-pp

Thanks for your reply, I really hope it isn't the CPU. That would be an expensive joke...

I'll try to get my hands on a new (or tested) PSU and try it with that.

4 hours ago, ridakzemlo said:

Thanks for your reply, I really hope it isn't the CPU. That would be an expensive joke...

I'll try to get my hands on a new (or tested) PSU and try it with that.

I have a spare rm1000i psu from corsair! I will be trying on a test bench tonight. 

I noticed I have a code d6 or d0 or something which says pch initialization failed, that can be due to many things. I did notice when taking the motherboard out of the case whoever at the factory installed the standoffs installed one incorrectly and cross threaded it, so I wonder if its causing the mobo to short or something, I will be testing it on a cardboard box for maximum anti conduction! I will come back with the results

10 hours ago, Flank Sauce said:

I have a spare rm1000i psu from corsair! I will be trying on a test bench tonight. 

I noticed I have a code d6 or d0 or something which says pch initialization failed, that can be due to many things. I did notice when taking the motherboard out of the case whoever at the factory installed the standoffs installed one incorrectly and cross threaded it, so I wonder if its causing the mobo to short or something, I will be testing it on a cardboard box for maximum anti conduction! I will come back with the results

2 hours ago, ridakzemlo said:

I'm trying memtest too. I'll keep you posted.

I did a memtest. there are many errors. Does this mean RAM is bad?

1.JPG

2.JPG

Update

I changed a ram stick and was able to boot into Peppermint OS for a couple seconds. After this the system reboots again.

On the loading screen and before opening peppermint i got these error codes:

[ 0.553359 ] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 10: Machine Check: 0 Bank 6: baa000000000011B

[ 0.553362 ] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC 0 MISC d012000400000000 SYND 4e000000IPID 600b0000000000

[ 0.553365 ] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 2:870f10 TIME 1590068362 SOCKET 0 APIC b microcode 8701013

<< LOADING AND BOOTING INTO PEPPERMINT OS >>

[ 2.792253 ] sd 14:0:0:0: [sdb] No Caching mode page found

[ 2.792271 ] sd 14:0:0:0: [sdb] assuming drive cache:write through

video here showing in action -> https://photos.app.goo.gl/veEuvsZRbhkZF8sr8